Fiio E17 to power monitors?
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Neotriple

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I recently ended up getting DT880's, but unfortunately, my first DAC (Saffire 6 USB) was unable to power the 250 ohm version. Due to this, I was recommended the Fiio series to power my new headphones. However, I did also want to power my monitors as well (Yamaha HSM80's). In order to do so, I went over to Monoprice and found a 3.5 mm output to 6.35mm adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7208&seq=1&format=2). 

When hooking up my monitors through the Fiio, they just sound awful. One monitor sounds severely grainy, the other one sounds OK. However, when hooked up to my original DAC, they sound normal again. 

Is this not the solution for me in terms of powering both my headphones & monitors, or is there another sort of cable that will keep the sound quality of my monitors in tact?

Thanks,
Neotriple

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hey guys,

So I recently ended up getting DT880's, but unfortunately, my first DAC (Saffire 6 USB) was unable to power the 250 ohm version. Due to this, I was recommended the Fiio series to power my new headphones. However, I did also want to power my monitors as well (Yamaha HSM80's). In order to do so, I went over to Monoprice and found a 3.5 mm output to 6.35mm adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7208&seq=1&format=2). 

When hooking up my monitors through the Fiio, they just sound awful. One monitor sounds severely grainy, the other one sounds OK. However, when hooked up to my original DAC, they sound normal again. 

Is this not the solution for me in terms of powering both my headphones & monitors, or is there another sort of cable that will keep the sound quality of my monitors in tact?

Thanks,
Neotriple

The E17 probably if not definately doesn't have enough power to power the monitors correctly if the monitors are not powered. Are they?

If they aren't, you are clipping.

If they are, the amps in both units may be conflicting.

The FiiO L7 is a DAC line out for the unit. it is 3.5mm output so you would need 3.5mm to whatever your things are.

Find out what your monitors are first, passive or active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back