Fiio E17 problem
Sep 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Frigolit

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Im new to this forum and kinda new to the whole thing with portable AMP and DAC for that matter. 

Anyway, i purchased the E17 and was happily suprised of the sound quality. 

When i got it i just plugged it in via USB and it worked fine. Though after some time the music suddenly turned into this loud distortion (scraping sound) so i unplugged it through the usb. I then plugged it back in and nothing, couldnt find it in the menu of the different sound-devices. So i restarted the computer and still nothing, i then reinstalled it through the device manager and now its working again. Oh yeah, this isnt the first time this happend which means something isnt right.

Im currently running windows 7 64-bit and ive tried changing usbport, checking energysaving for usb, completely reinstalled the E17. Im thinking that this has to be a problem with windows.

Anyone with any ideas on how to solve this problem? The e17 works fine portable with my mobile phone. 

Also, is it possible to update the E17s firmware?

Regards,
Frigo

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Also, is it possible to update the E17s firmware?

If you think the problem is windows based, this won't be neccesary. You might try to deinstall all your USB devices from windows and then reinstall them or rather just wait until you plug them in the next time and for windows to install them by itself.
Guides can be found here http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=97497 and here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html
have you tried SPDIF / Optical? Does the distortion sound appear there too?

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 10
I changed the usb cable to begin with so ill see whether the problem appears again or not.

If the problem persists i will definately try uninstalling all the usb-devices. My friend borrowed me a Fiio E10 a couple of weeks ago, maybe the driver for it is what is causing this.

I have a 3,5mm to toslink that im gonna try tomorrow :)

Thanks for the help!

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 10
there is an actual e17 thread that you'd probably get more help from

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought

Did you try any other inputs into the e17 like the coax or optical?

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Hello again!

I got the distortion again today with the new usb cable. This time i was studying by the computer when i suddenly heard a clicking noise coming from the headphones. I tried turning on some music and it wouldnt start. This definetaly is a problem with windows.

So now im using toslink from the motherboard to the Fiio. I will be back with more info!

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 10
I seems to work with spdif, no problems so far.

Im gonna go over to a friends house to try with another computer. I totally agree with you on that point, damn computers. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm sorry, but friends don't let friends use TOSLINK!!! You have Coax or perhaps a Digital out---use that instead.

I'd hate to advise you but you may have to reinstall all your drivers.

Worse, your culprit may be WIN 7 64bit O/S. Did you check with Fiio if their E17 middleware handles 64bit applications? WIN 7 PRO 64 bit IS NOT 100% backwards compatible with 32 bit systems, I don't care WHAT Gates tells you!!! I should know---having sent my Lenovo back three times, the tech installed WIN 7 PRO 32 bit and all my problems went away with all my peripherals!!!

OTHER PROBLEMS.
1. I rarely get 24bit/96kHz clarity. I can't get that thru my Advom GCD 575 even thru their Digital out cable---all I get is junk 16bit/44kHz. Occasionally, my 2007 Compac 6910P will break thru to 24/96kHz but that is rare.

I still love my Fiio E17/Bose AOE2s---just for its Penis envy factor alone!!! Hey, buddy, youre running your Fashionista DR Dre phones thru your iphone and you ain't paired up with these? I guess music doesn't matter to you...I'm so mean, I routinely go to my Apple Store and play it to their employees who whine 'I want one; I want one!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back