Fiio E17 DAC/Amp (ALPEN) + Fiio E09K Desktop Amp (QOGIR) Pictures, Impressions and Review [UPDATED Feb. 21]
May 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #46 of 107
Okay, so just got the FiiO E09K to use with my E17 and let me get this straight, when I dock the E17 in the E09K and attempt to play music via USB the volume of the E17 doesnt automatically turn all the way up (like an Apple) device to provide as close to line level as possible and allow the volume to be controlled by the E09K so I have to turn up the E17 each time I want to use it with the dock? Yes I know I can turn on Vol Mem, but thats no good as if I have had the volume turned up on the E17 while listening through the E09K and then forget and then plug my headphones into the E17 I get my head blown.

May 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #47 of 107
Quote:
Okay, so just got the FiiO E09K to use with my E17 and let me get this straight, when I dock the E17 in the E09K and attempt to play music via USB the volume of the E17 doesnt automatically turn all the way up (like an Apple) device to provide as close to line level as possible and allow the volume to be controlled by the E09K so I have to turn up the E17 each time I want to use it with the dock? Yes I know I can turn on Vol Mem, but thats no good as if I have had the volume turned up on the E17 while listening through the E09K and then forget and then plug my headphones into the E17 I get my head blown.

You don't need to turn up the volume on E17 to get the line level when docked on E09k. There is a lo bypass switch on the right side of the E17; all you have to do is turn it downwards with a pen. Then when docked, it will output line level signal automatically and when undocked, you can use the volume control on E17 again. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #48 of 107
"Actually, some people claim that the E09K doesn't have enough power for the HD650. Or it just doesn't pair well. That's up to you to decide of course. I haven't been able to try the combo with an HD650 unfortunately, so I couldn't tell you. But I feel like you'll need more power than the E17 for those phones!"

Regarding E09K's power to drive HD650 I can tell for sure that it has plenty of power ! HD650 can be driven very easy with an E09K.
Regarding if it pairs well or not comparing with other amps I think it pairs very well for the 100$ price range of E09K.
Or cource, you go up in price(and deep in your wallet) sound quality will increase in HD650.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #49 of 107

You could always just use the bypass switch on the side so you don't have to worry about that or make it so every time you turn the e17 on the volume will always be at the level of your choosing.

The e09k was powering my LCD's and HD650's like a champ!! It had loads of power and great sound quality. Unbeatable for the price IMO

Thanks,

:evil:

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #50 of 107
I think I can find the answer here. I did my unboxing today of an e09k + e17 and tried to plug it through usb to my macbook and the mac doesn't recognize it at all (e17 plugged on e09k and usb connection). The e17 when is connected directly works perfectly, though. So I asked a friend and tried using her PC and it says the usb is not connecting properly (also appears as unknown hardware). I spent a half hour connecting it and find a position that it recharges (it means the light is blue and pink, right?) but even when the e17 looks like sitting perfectly and recharging I try the usb and still doesn't work! I'm upset because its a very new thing and well.. why can`t use it as usb??? I did all the instructions, maybe is the usb cable? Or the e09k already came not working? How can I know? Oh well.. if I can't find a way to it works I will feel completely disappointed.

Edit: So I did a new try and worked! I think its how the e17 connects, or maybe just need a 5 min connected? At least is working, but now I don't want to disconnect the e17 hahahaha :frowning2:(( just thinking every time to connect will be a nightmare. Haha, anyway, good that its not broken! :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #51 of 107
  I think I can find the answer here. I did my unboxing today of an e09k + e17 and tried to plug it through usb to my macbook and the mac doesn't recognize it at all (e17 plugged on e09k and usb connection). The e17 when is connected directly works perfectly, though. So I asked a friend and tried using her PC and it says the usb is not connecting properly (also appears as unknown hardware). I spent a half hour connecting it and find a position that it recharges (it means the light is blue and pink, right?) but even when the e17 looks like sitting perfectly and recharging I try the usb and still doesn't work! I'm upset because its a very new thing and well.. why can`t use it as usb??? I did all the instructions, maybe is the usb cable? Or the e09k already came not working? How can I know? Oh well.. if I can't find a way to it works I will feel completely disappointed.

Edit: So I did a new try and worked! I think its how the e17 connects, or maybe just need a 5 min connected? At least is working, but now I don't want to disconnect the e17 hahahaha :frowning2:(( just thinking every time to connect will be a nightmare. Haha, anyway, good that its not broken! :)

I'm not quite sure what happened. What I usually do is plug everything in first (E17 into the dock, USB into the computer) before I turn the E09K on. Once your click it on, it should turn on both devices and after a second, it should work fine. Also, just to make it simpler, I would just use the Lo Bypass switch.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #52 of 107
Hi,

I own the FiiO E09K amp connected to Titanium HD soundcard on my PC (which I use as my DAC). I use the RCA out's on the Titanium HD to the Line-ins on the FiiO E09K and that works fine. I also own a Creative Gigaworks T3 2.1 powered desktop speaker system connected to the pre-outs of the FiiO E09K. Are those the correct outputs to use for powered desktop speakers or should I have those speakers connected to the Line-Outs of the FiiO E09k?

Thank you for any help and suggestions!

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #54 of 107
Ok, a (noobish) question here. Basically the same question TheGame above posted...

I'm considering an active subwoofer to compliment my desktop system. Never ever had one of those and I now need some advice about connecting a sub to my current setup. I have FiiO E07k (dac) with FiiO E09k (headphone amp) and FiiO A1 (amp for speakers) and a pair of passive bookshelf speakers and a few headphones.

I have connected A1's LINE IN to E09k's LINE OUT with RCA cable. And naturally speakers to A1's speaker terminals. But A1 doesn't have SUB OUT or LINE OUT or PRE OUT connectors. In fact A1 only have inputs, no outputs. But E09k have in addition to LINE OUT also PRE OUT. Can I connect an active subwoofer to E09k's PRE OUT connectors. Since most of the active subwoofers have a power on/off switch I was thinking that when using my headphones I just switch the power off of subwoofer.

Is there a flaw in my reasoning?

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #55 of 107
Ok, a (noobish) question here. Basically the same question TheGame above posted...

I'm considering an active subwoofer to compliment my desktop system. Never ever had one of those and I now need some advice about connecting a sub to my current setup. I have FiiO E07k (dac) with FiiO E09k (headphone amp) and FiiO A1 (amp for speakers) and a pair of passive bookshelf speakers and a few headphones.

I have connected A1's LINE IN to E09k's LINE OUT with RCA cable. And naturally speakers to A1's speaker terminals. But A1 doesn't have SUB OUT or LINE OUT or PRE OUT connectors. In fact A1 only have inputs, no outputs. But E09k have in addition to LINE OUT also PRE OUT. Can I connect an active subwoofer to E09k's PRE OUT connectors. Since most of the active subwoofers have a power on/off switch I was thinking that when using my headphones I just switch the power off of subwoofer.

Is there a flaw in my reasoning?

Wow. Sounds confusing. I've never tried this lol. Hopefully someone else in the community can help you out here!

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #56 of 107
Wow. Sounds confusing. I've never tried this lol. Hopefully someone else in the community can help you out here!

Oh well, we'll see in a week or two. I just ordered this sub
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YST-FSW050BL-YSTFSW050BL-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B0012P16HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386953786&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+yst-sw050

And a cable for connecting
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Series-Cable-Subwoofer-Audio/dp/B00FQK34S4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1386953865&sr=8-4&keywords=subwoofer+y+cable

Not the best money can buy surely and if they are bloody awfull the monetary loss isn't unbearable and I can always sell them
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #58 of 107
  If I have a E17 with the E09k, active speakers connected to the preout and headphones plugged in can I mute the preout and just play through the headphones?

You can't. If you have both the headphones plugged in and the active speakers connected to the pre-out you will hear sounds from both. You have to switch off the speakers when using headphones. I know this because I have connected an active subwoofer to the pre-outs and when I use my cans I have to switch the sub off. I have explained my setup above in post #54.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #59 of 107
I did my research and wound up with the E09K as my first desktop amp.  Almost went with the Schitt M&M, but I already have a E17 in hand.  With my DT770/80 I can definitely hear the improvements.  I've come along way from the little E5(still works) I bought in 2010.  Thanks for the all the impressions from this thread. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #60 of 107
With an E17/E09k combo plugged into a PC (or laptop), what volume level do you guys typically have the E17 at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back