Fiio E17 DAC/Amp (ALPEN) + Fiio E09K Desktop Amp (QOGIR) Pictures, Impressions and Review [UPDATED Feb. 21]
Apr 9, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #31 of 107
Quote:
So you can't use the E09K's volume knob when using the Line Out? One of the reasons I'm considering this is that I find that when using the L7 line out dock from my E17 the volume just isn't high enough unless I crank up the gain, which I don't want to do. I'm just worried the line out from the E09K will suffer the same issue.

Yes, you can use the E09K's volume knob when using Line Out, and it ALSO provides amplification. Pre-Out doesn't amp, just uses the knob for volume control and the E17's DAC function. Essentially, Line Out is the whole DAC/Amp package Out; Pre-Out is a big DAC with a volume control knob. 

From what I understand, the L7 dock is just for the DAC signal. That's why people get it, is to use just the DAC with another amp. I didn't even know that adjusting the volume would affect anything/the sound when using the L7. I don't have one, so I can't test this whole thing. 

To answer your question though, the Line-Out will provide amplification and should provide plenty of power for your speakers.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #32 of 107
So I got my E09K today... And as I initially suspected the volume knob DOESN'T work when using the line out. To say I'm disappointed is a bit of an understatement... But it's not the end of the world, it just means there'll be a little bit more manual intervention required in order to use it how I want.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 107
Actually, after playing around with it a bit having the ability to control the headphone volume independently of the speakers is probably a better thing in the long run. It means that rather than unplugging my headphones all the time if I want to listen on the speakers I can simply turn down the volume knob on the E09K. Still, even my cheapish Logitech speakers sound pretty awesome coming from the line out of the E09K.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #36 of 107
Very nice review, thank you.

This review was one of the reasons I decided to buy FiiO E09K and E07K. I bought E07K instead of E17 because I use this dac/amp combination solely on my desktop utilizing the USB connection to my PC. Therefore I have no need for digital outputs which E07K lacks compared to E17. Analog signal goes from E09K line-out to my FiiO A1 digital amp with speakers.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #37 of 107
Hello I´m new in all about audiophile and so on, I would like to ask if I really need this combo I am planing in purchasing the fiio e17 to give more quality to my sony mdr-xb1000 the question is if the e09k really would make a difference in sound quality in my headphones and also to ask if anyone could give me a comparision between sony PHA-1 and fiio e17, also if you could tell me the difference between my headphones and yours (HD598's) thank you hope anyone could help this rookie (sorry for my english is not my mother language)

May 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 107
Just bought the E17 after seeing it on sale.  Would adding the E09k improve it more?  Using HD650 btw.

Actually, some people claim that the E09K doesn't have enough power for the HD650. Or it just doesn't pair well. That's up to you to decide of course. I haven't been able to try the combo with an HD650 unfortunately, so I couldn't tell you. But I feel like you'll need more power than the E17 for those phones!

May 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #40 of 107
Hello I´m new in all about audiophile and so on, I would like to ask if I really need this combo I am planing in purchasing the fiio e17 to give more quality to my sony mdr-xb1000 the question is if the e09k really would make a difference in sound quality in my headphones and also to ask if anyone could give me a comparision between sony PHA-1 and fiio e17, also if you could tell me the difference between my headphones and yours (HD598's) thank you hope anyone could help this rookie (sorry for my english is not my mother language)

Sorry, I haven't had any experience with those Sony's so I really couldn't give you advice on the matter! Hopefully someone else can help!?

May 3, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #41 of 107
Nice review! I just got my E17 in the mail today, and I'm very satisfied with it so far. I'm running ATH-A900X and ATH-M50s, so they don't really need to be amped, but it's amazing as a DAC for its price! Plus I got it on sale...

May 17, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #42 of 107
Amazing review! Gave me a good look at the E09k which is what I am looking for.

I'm still on the fence of getting the E09k though as I'm not exactly 100% sure I need it yet. While I'll be using it for music on my desktop (soundcard > E09k > HD558), I'm primarily using it for gaming instead.
On a PS3 I'll be connecting it through an external DSP (for Dolby Headphones) > E09k > HD558.

Do not have the budget of getting an E09k + E17 yet, so I'm wondering just going for the E09k alone... will it be a good choice to do so?

May 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #43 of 107
Quote:
Nice review! I just got my E17 in the mail today, and I'm very satisfied with it so far. I'm running ATH-A900X and ATH-M50s, so they don't really need to be amped, but it's amazing as a DAC for its price! Plus I got it on sale...

Im using the e17 with the ATH-M50's and HD-598's as well for my at work setup. Still trying to decide if I want to pick up an E-09K to try out though.

May 18, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #44 of 107
Hi,

I also have the E09K + Fiio E17 driving a pair of lower impedance Sennheiser HD598.

Using LO Bypass on the E17 i find that the volume with the E09K at 9 o'clock is a bit too loud for my taste and if I go lower, the E09K start suffering from channel imbalance.

If i turn LO Bypass off, and turn down the volume on the Fiio E17 down to 20-25 so that I have more usable range from the E09K volume knob and I can go lower without the imbalance issues, am I impacting the quality of the sound?

PS: What volume level do you usually listen with this combination (E17 -> E09K -> HD598).
For example i find it not tiresome on E17 level 20 / E09K between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back