Fiio E17 Alternatives
Feb 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RodSmith

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been waiting for the last two weeks for advancedmp3players 02/02 preorder for the new Fiio E17 only to receive an email informing me that the preorder is now for the 16th March!!!

Anyway, I'm getting itchy feet and would like something now and not at a future date so I'm looking recommendations for something other than the Fiio E17?

My current system is a laptop with some cheap Sony headphones that I hope to upgrade. I'd like to build something a bit more hifi with the laptop being the main source of music (indie, rock, some dance music) with an amp (USB/Portable) and headphones. I have a budget of around $600/£400 for an amp and headphones.

Anyone have a similar system they can recommend?

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 12
The E7 is still a heck of a DAC/AMP, especially for $85.

Would be perfect for a laptop, because you can use the DAC, which is almost always going to be better than that DAC in your laptop.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
oh also the amy you should get will depend heavily on the hadphone you go for.  pick one first then got the other to go well with it

Agreed - pick your headphones first, and then ask (or better yet, search the forums first) for opinions and comments on what might work best. In the end, it's your ears and brain (and wallett) that will have to make the decision.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Agree with the E7.  Hard to beat for the price, and hard to justify double the cost (or more if you pick up the e7 used) and a wait considering the known performance of the e7.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 12
I've ordered a iBasso D7 (in the post) and some Sennheiser HD 650's (Very well thought of here). So fingers crossed :)

Thanks for the input.

PS I still have E17 order open so I'll give it a try when it turns up (some time in mid March!).

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 12
None of you can spell!!   LOL.   Your best bet is to use your best headphones directly.  You get enough volume, even from an ipod.  When you can afford it, get the Fiio e17.  For portable applications, use a $65 Fiio e11.  Buy it from MICCA, where you will receive a free battery and charger.  An e7 for $85 is good for computer DAC as well as portable ipod.  For $139, wait for the e17, will probably suffice for years.  Get good cans, such as AKG q701, Sennheiser 650, etc.  Do not spend $1500 on Sennheiser 800 unless you are a millionaire music producer or a rock band owner.  Read the blogs under the Fiio products.  I learned my stuff there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back