FiiO E12A vs. Oppo HA-2
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cmacsocial

100+ Head-Fier
After testing PSB M4U2 and Oppo PM-3, I chose the latter. So, here's the current setup"

FiiO X5II DAP
FiiO E12A amp
Oppo PM-3 headphones

The E12A is optimized for IEMs. Because of that, I have to use the H gain setting when I want to make the PM-3s shine. Because the PM-3 are full-size headphones, would I "get more out of" the Oppo HA-2 amp? Or is it a given that if you use a company's headphones, you should (when possible) use their amp? I get a little background hiss on some of my FLACs (Steely Dan's Aja, Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire III). I play mostly FLACs. 

I'll make a bigger step up in amp if necessary.

Thanks...Chris

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 7
In your case I would be looking at say the iBasso D14 or something similar with coaxial in which will enable you to utilize the coaxial digital out of your FIIO X5II. The oppo has no digital inputs for your X5II so AFAIK you would only be using the amplifier component via line in and the Sabre DAC in the oppo would not be used. In addition the D14 has a little more power so IMHO would be ideal for your PM3's.

I'm still a novice in this so I may be wrong so somebody else please chime in with your thoughts.

It's the one thing I would have liked to have seen on the oppo - a coaxial in.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 7
  In your case I would be looking at say the iBasso D14 or something similar with coaxial in which will enable you to utilize the coaxial digital out of your FIIO X5II. The oppo has no digital inputs for your X5II so AFAIK you would only be using the amplifier component via line in and the Sabre DAC in the oppo would not be used. In addition the D14 has a little more power so IMHO would be ideal for your PM3's.

I'm still a novice in this so I may be wrong so somebody else please chime in with your thoughts.

It's the one thing I would have liked to have seen on the oppo - a coaxial in.

Thanks, oldmate. Bummer: I was sure the HA-2 amp would be perfect match for the PM-3s. With the E12A, my complaints are that, on L gain, I have to turn up the volume to the top to get high-quality soundstage and midbass impact...but I also get the background hiss. When I try H gain instead, it's a bit too loud and clarity drops noticeably. So, seems clear the X5II/PM-3 combo needs an amp other than the E12A.

Can anyone chime in about (for pairing with X5II and Oppo PM-3s) whether the iBasso D14 or Oppo HA-2 amp would be better?  What are your thoughts?

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 7
You can split the difference with the TEAC A-p50.   I feel like a shill for this dac/amp.

No Hiss for me ever.   In the middle of your price range.  Has several inputs.  Might check it out to see if it hits all your boxes. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 7
  Thanks, oldmate. Bummer: I was sure the HA-2 amp would be perfect match for the PM-3s. With the E12A, my complaints are that, on L gain, I have to turn up the volume to the top to get high-quality soundstage and midbass impact...but I also get the background hiss. When I try H gain instead, it's a bit too loud and clarity drops noticeably. So, seems clear the X5II/PM-3 combo needs an amp other than the E12A.

Can anyone chime in about (for pairing with X5II and Oppo PM-3s) whether the iBasso D14 or Oppo HA-2 amp would be better?  What are your thoughts?

I was part of the loaner program with the Oppo Pm-3 and was told from everyone that paired the two that the HA-2 with the Pm-3 was it. One hell of a portable set up, and should be better than many more portable setups that cost much more.  But if you are only using the amp of the Oppo HA-2 then it is not worth buying, as far as amp alone I don't see it out performing the E12a(which I own) . IF you want a portable amp to go with the Fiio  x5ii(which is no slouch for a dac) then I would go with something like Meier audio which I own and use their 2stepdance with great results with the PM-3, there is also the option like oldmate said and I would not disagree if you are not a huge fan of the DAP's dac then get the D14 which as far as DAC goes I believe out performs the DX90.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Another amp option is the Cayin C5. I have both C5 and E12A, and I've had the opportunity to try them with PM-3. The C5 is quite powerful and I love its signature. The combo sounds very nice to my standards even with Fiio X1. I'm sure your X5ii will be even better.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions! Am liking the X5II/HA-2/PM-3 setup. However, I listen to a lot of EDM to zone out at work and I'd prefer more bass. I don't want to mess with the PM-3/HA-2 pairing, so am considering upgrading X5II to an AK100. Would I notice a big sound improvement in any areas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back