Fiio E11?
Jan 8, 2013 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ARealHero

New Head-Fier
I'm new to head-fi so I'm not sure if there was already a thread regarding this same amp. So I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, I made the mistake of not doing much research on them and was sort of disappointed when I got them. I like the audio quality and find them rather comfortable but I was expecting the bass to pack more of a "punch." I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to boost the bass on them but I read that the E11 might do the job. Any advice for an audio noob? Any help would be greatly appredciated.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 14
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634045/need-more-bass-for-ath-m50-fiio-e11

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624068/would-you-recommend-the-fiio-e11-for-ath-m50

just typed in the two words in search "fiio e11" and " m50 " and got these two threads... you should try it too sometimes

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I'm new to head-fi so I'm not sure if there was already a thread regarding this same amp. So I recently purchased a pir of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, I made the mistake of not doing much research on them and was sort of disappointed when I got them. I like the audio quality and find them rather comfortable but I was expecting the bass to pack more of a "punch." I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to boost the bass on them but I read that the E11 might do the job. Any advice for an audio noob? Any help would be greatly appredciated.

What are you plugging the ATH-M50 into?

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm currently just plugging into my PC, like I said, I'm not big on sound so I never saw the need to buy an amp or other music player until I bought these. I'm also looking into equalizers to boost the bass but they're not working very well.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 14
Look at FiiO e10 or Topping D1 Mark 2 USB DAC. That's what you want for computer use because these devices have a built in DAC which bypass your computers internal sound card. Personally I would spending a little bit more for the Topping model. In this situation you get what you pay for. Both are under $100.

e10 can be found almost anywhere and Topiing D1 can be found in MP4Nation

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Would this increase the punch of the bass or just increase the sound? I like the way the bass sounds but I want to feel it, most of the music I listen to has heavy bass (dubstep and other electronic genres) If the amp is over $100 it's not worth buying since I can just buy another pair of headphones with more bass for a little more, I'm just looking for an add-on for my phones. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 14
Would this increase the punch of the bass or just increase the sound? I like the way the bass sounds but I want to feel it, most of the music I listen to has heavy bass (dubstep and other electronic genres) If the amp is over $100 it's not worth buying since I can just buy another pair of headphones with more bass for a little more, I'm just looking for an add-on for my phones. 

Having owned ATH-M50 in the past yes it will. the bass tightens up, becomes punchy you will have more impact and gives the headphone legs to move. It is what you're looking however you may want the FiiO E10 because it has bass boost feature as well. I don't think the Topping has a bass boost, Have a read of the review here.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.headfonia.com%2Ftopping-d1-mark-ii%2F&ei=ot3sUIiYGYT2mAXemYDwBA&usg=AFQjCNF21AFOCEV7JhasesP61S93aYU9fA&sig2=Zao-FwzIKFO0wrXeMQWxoA&bvm=bv.1357316858,d.dGY

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

The Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) and DGX ($45, PCI-E) sound cards should improve the audio quality of the headphones, over the motherboard's built in audio.
The DG(X) come with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby headphone surround sound.
Chances are the DG(X) DAC is better then the motherboard's DAC.
I would assume the DG(X) software comes with an EQ.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 14
+1 on this, I replaced the soundcard in my aging computer with the Asus Xonar DG per PurpleAngel's recommendation and it made a big difference. I bought one used on ebay for $15..you can't really go wrong with that lol.
Quote:
The Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) and DGX ($45, PCI-E) sound cards should improve the audio quality of the headphones, over the motherboard's built in audio.
The DG(X) come with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby headphone surround sound.
Chances are the DG(X) DAC is better then the motherboard's DAC.
I would assume the DG(X) software comes with and EQ.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 14
I've had my E11 for awile and I've always liked them a lot but when I bought it I didn't really do any research on portable amps and there's others that are better around the same price as the E11 and some really nice little amps around $100 so checkout some of the ones mentioned above. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 14
My Monoprice 8323's have more bass quantity than the M50's.
biggrin.gif

FiiO E11 will possibly hold you over...
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 14
Haha, wow. I'm getting a lot of mixed messages, some say yes others say no. Can I return the amp if I'm not satisfied with it? Don't want to be disappointed again and have thrown away another $100 or so.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm new to head-fi so I'm not sure if there was already a thread regarding this same amp. So I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, I made the mistake of not doing much research on them and was sort of disappointed when I got them. I like the audio quality and find them rather comfortable but I was expecting the bass to pack more of a "punch." I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to boost the bass on them but I read that the E11 might do the job. Any advice for an audio noob? Any help would be greatly appredciated.
E11 will do the job they have a two level bass boost. I use E11 with my sennheiser hd280pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back