Fiio E11 vs JDS Labs CMoyBB v2.03 (Taking suggestions)
Apr 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:
I am about to order the JDS cmoy with BB.

I am going to be pairing it with my RS1i and a Sandisk clip zip

I am uncertain if I should get the version with two 9 volt batteries or just one.

Also debating if I should get the rechargeable batteries....does it recharge when an ac adapter is plugged into the wall?

A single 9V is adequate for Grados. 18V is best for driving higher impedance sets:

1. Standard, Non-rechargeable, 1x9V battery. Best for most users. External DC jack can be used to power the amplifier; does not charge battery.

2. Standard, Non-rechargeable, 2x9V batteries (18V). Recommended for high volume listening with 120+ ohm headphones.

3. Rechargeable, 1x9 battery. Ideal for portable use of most headphones. Includes 1x9V Tenergy low self-discharge NiMH battery. Requires a 10V+ AC/DC adapter (not included)!

4. Rechargeable, 2x9 batteries. Recommended for portable use of 120+ ohm headphones. Includes 2x9V Tenergy low self-discharge NiMH batteries. Requires a 19V+ AC/DC adapter (not included)!

The non-rechargeable edition is a better value in my opinion, since an external charger is faster and about the same cost. We only build rechargeable cMoyBB's because so many people asked for them.

May 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #49 of 52
I've been looking at both of these amps for quite some time and I'm still trying to figure out which ones would best suit V-moda M-100s (I don't own them yet but I'm almost 100% those are my starting headphones) I like the idea of heart thumbing bass but I also don't want to sacrifice any of the mids/highs.

May 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:
Wow, what a great thread. I just got the E11 delivered from Amazon to compare to my beloved JDS cmoy with BB. Everything posted here makes a lot of sense and I agree with many of the observations. However, when I want to sit back and enjoy my music (hard rock/metal) the cmoy with BB on is tough to beat. I just don't hear the bass with the E11 imo. I vote for the JDS cmoy.

I'll be returning the fiio tomorrow. I just wish I could swap out the enclosure. The Altoids tin is pretty dented up.

Thanks for listening. etys rule

I've had both of these amps for a year or more.

I like the cMoy's sound better.  The E11 is very punchy and direct; the cMoy is fuller and rounder
yet still with strong dynamics. It never gets harsh as the E11 sometimes can. 

I like the E11's form factor more, its obviously thinner and lacks the large volume pot.
So it goes in my daily-carry shoulder bag, along with a couple of extra batteries that
I picked up on on eBay.  I keep all the batteries charged.  If I need an amp, I have the E11.

I guess I can say this another way - i.e. if the cMoy had the form factor of the E11, I
wouldn't bother with the E11 at all.

(n.b. I do have other portable and desktop amps...)

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:
Are the differences in sound very drastic between the two?

I listen to jazz, smooth jazz and bossa nova mostly, so I am wondering which is better?

better doesnt enter into it - thats a matter of opinion.
as for difference in sound, i personally couldnt detect any difference whatever, but others can. check this out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-10-1-amps-compared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back