FiiO E11 problem
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bynming

Head-Fier
Hello, I have a serious problem with a FiiO E11 that I've bought used from a forum user here and I don't know how to even begin to address this.

I received this FiiO E11 a few days ago and it seemed fine, but once in a while it did these buzzing and beeping sounds, some of which are pretty loud, that seemed to happen mostly when music was stopping. Coincidentally, that's when I happened to be messing with the cable, so I wrongfully attributed it to a bad connection.

I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot or use it in general so I stopped using it for a while, but today I gave it a shot and realized that those sounds happen even when the E11 has no input, seemingly at random, although one thing seems to cause it semi-reliably. That said it happens a lot more when it's connected to something (I've tried multiple sources). When I have music playing and it stops, it seems to "cause" it sometimes. What really bothered me is when it actually happened during a somewhat quiet part of a song.

Anyway, I paid $45 for this thing and for all I know, maybe the guy didn't have this problem or something... So besides trying to communicate this with him, what do I do? I'm not generally a whiny person but for all intents and purposes this E11 is unusable.

Note: For some reason, it's just fine with the L3. Can't explain why. Like I said, I tried multiple sources and multiple cables.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 10
The sources you're using aren't all phone's are they? E11 get's interference from Iphones when not in airplane mode. Even when it's close to them and not plugged in.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 10
Actually it's a known issue - nwavguy wrote about it in his review of the E11:

There’s some RF leakage of the DC-DC converter into the audio output (but it’s much better than the E5 and E7)

It's not that audible when music is actually playing - but definitely audible when it's not.  Seems to be most apparent with sensitive IEMs (I really didn't notice it too much with my full sized cans - but noticed it a lot with my SE535s).  For me it was like a slight crackle that would come out of the blue.  It only happened on the E11.

Drove me nuts in the end - so I gave my E11 away.  It's one of the reasons I don't recommend it to anyone.  That and the build quality - my H/P jack was sloppy in under a year.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Actually it's a known issue - nwavguy wrote about it in his review of the E11:

There’s some RF leakage of the DC-DC converter into the audio output (but it’s much better than the E5 and E7)

It's not that audible when music is actually playing - but definitely audible when it's not.  Seems to be most apparent with sensitive IEMs (I really didn't notice it too much with my full sized cans - but noticed it a lot with my SE535s).  For me it was like a slight crackle that would come out of the blue.  It only happened on the E11.

Drove me nuts in the end - so I gave my E11 away.  It's one of the reasons I don't recommend it to anyone.  That and the build quality - my H/P jack was sloppy in under a year.

Actually that is an common misunderstanding of what NwAvGuy has posted about E11.

This is what he said in the same review:

DC-DC CONVERTER NOISE: Here’s a zoomed-in view of the “fuzz” seen on the square wave response above. The scope measurement shows it has a frequency of 96 Mhz and it’s likely the DC-DC converter which is probably designed to run somewhere around a nominal 100 Mhz. You can also see it’s about 15 mV peak-to-peak or about 5 mV RMS. That’s only –43 dBu. Obviously nobody can hear 100 Mhz but if it were in the audio band it would be plainly audible. It can also be troublesome for FCC and/or CE approval for RF emissions:

No one can hear 96Mhz so obvious what the OP has listened isn't an RF signal leakage. It will be scary if he can :wink: However, I am not saying the DC-DC convertor doesn't contribute to E11 overall noise floor, just that I don't think it is the main source. If it is, then mini3 would have had much worst noise since it measured worst than E11.

Also, if it is RF leakage, it would have been a constant noise, and not like what the OP is experiencing. My money is with H20Fidelity on external EMI at this point.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the correction Clieos.  I'm stumped then.  I had exactly the same issue as the OP - and even with my iPhone in "airplane mode" - I still got the static bursts.  Like I said - it got so bad that I eventually gave the E11 away.

I didn't get the same issue straight out of the iPhone or with my Arrow and it was repeatable when I had the E11 - both with my iPhone and iPod.  Defective unit maybe?  But I know I'm not the first to comment about this issue either - so it's not a one-off.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't have any static burst at all with my E11. But then again, I don't use smartphone as source. Just in case, you will still get EMI if the wifi was turned on. According to others, even some iPod has some freakish EMI issue. But I am not much fo an iPod user to notice that.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Well I've used it with my Samsung Galaxy S and my iPod classic (using different cables just in case) and I've also used it with my Schiit Bifrost using a RCA/3.5mm cable. So I'm quite stumped.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 10
Sorry to butt in, but I have a problem with my Fiio E11[size=12pt] few days ago the battery depleted (Empty) so I connected the amplifier to the charger in order to charge it, the red light turned on indicating it's charging.

The Problem is that after I removed the charger the Red Light Will Not Turn Off, and when I turn on the amplifier the blue light doesn't flash because the red light is always on, I tried removing the battery for a while but as soon as I put it back the red light turns on again even though the charger is not connected and the device won't turn on.
So Please Help Me If You Can.
Thank you in advance.
[/size]

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Sorry to butt on, but I have a problem with my Fiio E11 [SIZE=12pt][COLOR=000000]few days ago the battery depleted (Empty) so I connected the amplifier to the charger in order to charge it, the red light turned on indicating it's charging.

The Problem is that after I removed the charger the Red Light Will Not Turn Off, and when I turn on the amplifier the blue light doesn't flash because the red light is always on, I tried removing the battery for a while but as soon as I put it back the red light turns on again even though the charger is not connected and the device won't turn on.

So Please Help Me If You Can.

Thank you in advance.[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Did you try flicking the high/low power settings under the battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back