FiiO E07K Andes vs. Audioengine D3 vs. Audioquest Dragonfly
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jtheun

New Head-Fier
I realize there is quite a cost spread between these 3 portable DAC/Amplifiers.  I am curious about the audio quality from each of these:

FiiO E07K Andes
- Like the price (around $80)
- Extra USB cable a bit of a pain, but then I feel less worried about breaking off the USB connector
- Double headphone socket seems convenient, but not sure if I will actually use it
- Has its own power... doesn't drain computer battery on plane
- Wolfson DAC chip(WM8740) - same as the E17
- MX97220 Amp
- Don't think the computer's volume control passes through the the analog output in the DAC...

Audioengine D3
- Around $190
- Love the compact-ness (although it looks the same size as the Dragonfly, maybe a bit thicker)
- Seems like it will drain my laptop battery... 200mA current draw
AKM4369 DAC chip
- LME49726 op-amp
- Love the idea that it uses the computer's built-in volume control and passes that through to the DAC output (think this is same as dragonfly)

Audioquest Dragonfly 
- most expensive ($200)
- pretty much same features as D3
- ESS Sabre DAC chip

My main question is whether the Dragonfly will produce better sound quality to my IEM's than the Audioengine, and whether that would be noticeable compared to the FiiO.

BTW, I use Etymotic ER4 IEMs with custom molds mostly

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 4
From my point of view, neither the D3 nor the Dragonfly can compare to the Andes in terms of versatility.
It would be like comparing oranges to apples... No!
It would be comparing oranges to sushi.
Let me elaborate, I can speak for the Andes, since I own a unit.

I can tell you that the WM8740 is as good as people say, which, admittedly, is not stellar either.
Its sound is clean, flat and clear. There is no warmth neither brilliance added but, on the other hand it is, to me
slightly musical, let me explain:
I use this unit as a treat when I know I will have the time to listen to some music.
In my opinion it handles Classical Music in general and String Quartet and Chamber music in particular
with silky dexterity adding barely an accent save for its mildly revealing detail across the spectrum with possibly
a hint of more contour on the mid/vocals.
It performs Rock and Trip-Hop competently also but I defer to my FIIO Q5 for Basshead duties instead.

The Andes is alone in that it is, in practical terms a Powered 3.5mm Y Splitter , that is also a competent USB DAC Amp
that is able to work on its own battery and also function while being USB charged.
To me it is indispensable and as far as I know, Irreplaceable (because of battery power and dual functioning 3.5mm
outputs)
To the best of my knowledge, there is not another single product
that delivers the same usability in terms of functions, battery life (2hrs plus) weight and pocketable
size. Also a big plus for me: Its battery is easily replaceable (youtube tutorials) easy to obtain and cheap,
I do this every year as batteries do suffer service wear over time.
D3 and Dragonfly do not have dual outputs or a battery.

To consider also is the fact that the Andes can be used with Android devices and Windows Computers
without a problem (I will never touch ANY "APPLE" krappe ever!) as it handles the USB input without
hiccup and it can be fed with a 3.5mm input as well.
Power is plentiful to drive my entire "fleet" *.

The difference between using the Andes and using the Phone or the PC output alone is
Gigantic and Absolute but taken within its price range and expectations of performance as this is not
a Chord Mojo either.

In my opinion this is a device that has aged quite well and it is a valid addition to the frugal
audiophile's hardware kit.

* "fleet"
FOCAL Spirit closed on ear
Philips SHP9500 open over ear
FIIO FH1 iem closed
Monoprice M300 iem open planar
All patiently purchased from ebay
used at ridiculously low prices!

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 4
thread died years ago, man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back