FiiO E-x forced volume control by Windows
Jun 22, 2012 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SilverHawk1984

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

First of all, I am new here and I just bought a FiiO E7 for my UE triple fi.10.

I knew that there is this 'problem' that you can not control the master volume by Windows - but I found a solution.
I think it is pretty annoying, because I want to use the volume keys on my keyboard while listening to music over the E7.

Here is the excact problem description:
Quote:
Nothing’s ever perfect, however. The first time you press a volume button nothing happens. You have to press it again to change the volume similar to many portable players where the first press “wakes up” the display but doesn’t do anything until you press again. The weird thing is the display is already on. FiiO could easily fix this with a firmware tweak. And, just so you know, the master volume in Windows is forced to maximum when using the E7 as your primary audio device. You can still use the volume control in your player (i.e. Windows Media Player, Foobar, Media Monkey, etc.) but FiiO apparently wants the PC delivering all 16 bits of resolution for maximum audio quality (reducing the volume in windows can also reduce the bit resolution). I didn’t try it on OS X or Linux but I’m sure you can find those details elsewhere.

And here is the solution: A virtual sound card

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

You can create a batch file (*.bat) which will automatically set up the software, when your FiiO device is connected to your computer.

start /min "audiorepeater_ks" "%programfiles%\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /Output:"Lautsprecher (USB Audio DAC )" /SamplingRate:48000 /BitsPerSample:16 /BufferMs:100 /Buffers:30 /Channels:2 /ChanCfg:"Stereo" /Priority:Realtime /AutoStart

from (in German): http://pcsoftwarehardware.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/windows-7-gleichzeitig-ton-am-pc-und-tv-hdmi-mit-virtual-audio-cable/

You just have to edit the two parameters /Input: "YOUR INPUT DEVICE" and /Output "YOUR OUTPUT DEVICE".

Unfortunately the software is not freeware, but there is a trail version.

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back