1657596718127.jpeg

FiiO BTR7 - a machine much like the mini M17
Pros: The sound has been greatly improved compared to the BTR5 2021;
Very sufficient output power;
feature-rich;
New design;
Color screen.
Cons: Larger than the BTR5;
The UI is not modern enough to take full advantage of the color screen.
1657783743131.jpeg

DAC: ES9219C*2
AMP: THX AAA 28*2
BT: QCC5124
Outputs: 3.5mm Unbalanced, 4.4mm Balanced
Output power (balanced): 320mW@32Ω
1657783781831.jpeg

Highlights have been written here in case you missed them:
1. Three-level audio architecture(DAC+Lowpass filter+THX);
2. The digital module and the analog module are isolated and powered separately;
3. The THX amp increases single-ended power by 88% and balanced power by 30%;
4. Bluetooth 5.1, it supports aptX adaptive, which means lower latency;
5. Integrated metal frame, making Bluetooth transmission more stable and reducing interference;
6. Supports Qi protocol wireless charging.
1657783855509.jpeg

Next I will review it based on my own experience.
Function and operation:
After long pressing the power button to enter the menu, you can see that these functions can be adjusted directly on the BTR7, and you can also turn the page down to see other settings such as language, brightness, screen time, input priority, etc.
1657789873371.jpeg

For me, the biggest difference from the BTR5 is that the EQ settings can be adjusted on the BTR7.
Unfortunately, there is only one user EQ. It would be better if there were multiple to suit my multiple headphones.
1657785415512.jpeg

If you want to it as a USB DAC, the EQ won't be available(the same as the BTR5), though I prefer to use the graphic equalizers on PC, which are more precisely tuned. So the BTR7 may be better at bluetooth reception, but I'm not saying it's not good at USB decoding. It can support DSD256 decoding and MQA rendering in USB DAC mode.
uri_mh1657764572404.jpg

This time, a charging switch is added to the side of the BTR7, which makes it more convenient to be connected to your phone via Type-C.
1657787975474.jpeg

Those 2.5mm balanced cables prepared for the BTR5 is now going to be replaced with 4.4mm cables. The 2.5mm diameter does seem to be more fragile than the 4.4mm, so the adoption of the 4.4mm balance port will make sense.
1657788473217.jpeg

Subjective review of the sound quality:
I'm using 6-BAs CIEMs, which are characterized by high sensitivity (I like to call them floor-noise detectors).
With all the unnecessary settings turned off, the BTR7 sounds excellent. The bass is dynamic, the highs are smooth and clear, and the resolution is good.
If the sound of the BTR5 is pale, or like a lake, then the sound of the BTR7 is vivid, or like the ocean, the waves.
And these audible improvements in sound quality over the BTR5 is why I got it and why this review appears here.
1657789268541.png

(It's my first time writing a review not for headphones, if there is something missing, please leave a comment and I will update my review. Danke!)

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 17, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 12
Got the btr7 a few days ago. Compared with the btr5 is definitely a step forward. Cleaner sound, well detailed, good separation. The sound becomes crisp and punchy only with boost activated. Also an ambient mode would have been welcomed.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 12
In one review I saw fiio application.
There was something called battery protection.
Can you tell me what is that?

Can it drive Audeze lcd2c? I woukd like to buy a portable device and connect it via Bluetooth with the TV

I wanted to buy xduoo xd-05 with bt adapter but the adapter is discontinued.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 12
I need advice, I want to buy either BTR3k, BTR5 2021, BTR7 for convenience but sound quality is the primary consideration. I really hate ear piercing treble, I like the sound presentation of the iPod video 5.5 and Fiio Q1 MKII (kinda warm signature). which one of the above can you recommend me? I'm an iPhone user with intention of using the BTR wired and I will be using it most of the time in the car. I don't need power, all headphones I have are 32ohms max. thank you!

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 12
In one review I saw fiio application.
There was something called battery protection.
Can you tell me what is that?

Can it drive Audeze lcd2c? I woukd like to buy a portable device and connect it via Bluetooth with the TV

I wanted to buy xduoo xd-05 with bt adapter but the adapter is discontinued.
I don't think this that a portable device (battery powered) can properly drive the lcd2c. It will maybe get loud but it will not control it (especially the bass region). In my experience, the bass has no slam using btr7 with the msr7b. The rest of the sound is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back