FiiO BTR5 2021 Connection to TV Soundbar?
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wilson.st

New Head-Fier
I purchased a BTR5 2021 and was thinking I'd try to connect it via bluetooth to my Vizio soundbar on my TV for watching movies while the young kiddos are asleep upstairs.

I can pair the soundbar to a source via bluetooth using a press-and-hold button, but there is no menu to "search for devices" to pair to on TV soundbar options. Likewise, BTR5 unit does not have a select pairing option even via FiiO app (to my knowledge).

How can I have the soundbar and BTR5 connect?

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 3
Your BTR5 and sound bar are both what we called Bluetooth audio sink devices ( = BT receiver), and they only receive Bluetooth audio signal from a Bluetooth audio source device ( = BT transmitter) but they can never broadcast audio signal themselves. Some devices ( = BT transceiver) can act as both BT audio source or sink , but not both at the same time.

What you want is to connect BTR5 to your TV directly, if your TV has Bluetooth (*TV with BT is a BT audio source). If not, the other option is to get some kind of 3.5mm-to-BT converter/transmitter for TV and connect it to the BTR5 (and your sound bar as well). SQ won't be as good as direct BT connection to TV, but one has to do with what one has at hand. Last but not least - If your TV has coax or optical-out however, you can consider FiiO BTA30 Pro. It will act as a DAC and BT transmitter for your TV. Your sound bar connect to its RCA-out, and BTR5 connect to its BT, then you can select which to use at which time

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 3
Your BTR5 and sound bar are both what we called Bluetooth audio sink devices ( = BT receiver), and they only receive Bluetooth audio signal from a Bluetooth audio source device ( = BT transmitter) but they can never broadcast audio signal themselves. Some devices ( = BT transceiver) can act as both BT audio source or sink , but not both at the same time.

What you want is to connect BTR5 to your TV directly, if your TV has Bluetooth (*TV with BT is a BT audio source). If not, the other option is to get some kind of 3.5mm-to-BT converter/transmitter for TV and connect it to the BTR5 (and your sound bar as well). SQ won't be as good as direct BT connection to TV, but one has to do with what one has at hand. Last but not least - If your TV has coax or optical-out however, you can consider FiiO BTA30 Pro. It will act as a DAC and BT transmitter for your TV. Your sound bar connect to its RCA-out, and BTR5 connect to its BT, then you can select which to use at which time
Thank you! This is perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back