[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #3,301 of 3,678
HI! Just got a new BTR 15, maybe a bad unit. Connected via BT LDAC to my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra I hear a lot of crackling and sometimes the right channel starts making a hissing noise and the music on the left channel decreases the volume and you need to turn off the unit to fix the problem temporarily, until next problem .I think I'll return it. Has anyone had similar issues? @FiiO
Dear friend,

Sorry, we have not received similar feedback from other users yet. You can change other Bluetooth codes or change your phone and try again to see if the problem persists. You can also apply to the seller for quick processing, thank you!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #3,302 of 3,678
Got my BTR15 in the mail today. No issues so far that I've noticed in the first 3 hours or so of use. It had 60% of battery out of the box, currently sitting at 40%. Will be comparing SQ to my BTR5 2021 but first impressions are they sound fairly similar, just a bit louder at same volume settings.

It looks like it's supposed to have an online option for firmware updates, though nothing happens when I click on it in the app yet. That would be a welcome improvement over the BTR5, as I don't currently have access to a windows PC.

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #3,303 of 3,678
I got mine recently as well, and I'm pleased in some ways but I do have some problems that I'd like to ask you guys about:

1. It keeps disconnecting after about 5 metres, is that normal? I'm guessing doors and walls might be the culprit, barring it from good signals?
2. How do you EQ it to reduce the shrieking?
3. Most importantly, how can I reduce the lag on games on my iPhone via Bluetooth?

TYSM. Would appreciate replies!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #3,304 of 3,678
I got mine today as well, and I'm pleased in some ways but I do have some problems that I'd like to ask you guys about:

1. It keeps disconnecting after about 5 metres, is that normal? I'm guessing doors and walls might be the culprit, barring it from good signals?
2. How do you EQ it to reduce the shrieking?
3. Most importantly, how can I reduce the lag on games on my iPhone via Bluetooth?

TYSM. Would appreciate replies!
Dear friend,

1. You can test in other environments. Such as an environment without walls. Also, are there any sources of interference to Bluetooth signals in your home? You can check it out.
2. You can download the Fiio Control App on your mobile phone, connect to the BTR15 via Bluetooth, and adjust the EQ on the App.
3. The current Bluetooth encoding of iPhone only supports SBC/AAC. You can search on the Internet or ask Apple to see how to reduce the delay. The BTR15 does not have a latency reduction switch.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #3,305 of 3,678
Dear friend,

1. You can test in other environments. Such as an environment without walls. Also, are there any sources of interference to Bluetooth signals in your home? You can check it out.
2. You can download the Fiio Control App on your mobile phone, connect to the BTR15 via Bluetooth, and adjust the EQ on the App.
3. The current Bluetooth encoding of iPhone only supports SBC/AAC. You can search on the Internet or ask Apple to see how to reduce the delay. The BTR15 does not have a latency reduction switch.

Best regards
Thank you so much. Could a latency-reduction feature be coming in a future firmware update? And do any other Fiio DACs have such a feature?

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #3,306 of 3,678
Thank you so much. Could a latency-reduction feature be coming in a future firmware update? And do any other Fiio DACs have such a feature?
The best way to reduce latency is to use a wired connection, not wireless. Latency doesn’t matter quite so much when only listening to music, but yes it can be a real problem when watching video or playing games.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #3,308 of 3,678
Thanks for your input buddy, appreciate it🤙 I agree the 4.4mm and feature upgrades in general were what drove me to pull the trigger without any real reviews available online. My brother has the he400se too so I'll be able to do an apples to apples comparison. Will try to give a quick update if anyone cares for it 😉
Hi man,
I just got the HE400SE and am looking for a suitable portable dongle dac/amp to run them on my ROG Strix G15 at home and HP Elitebook x360 at office (both i7-10th gen laptops), also on my Samsung S20FE5G. This setup will be my endgame (will buy balanced cables anyways, the white ones that came are bad), so do you think I'll be missing out on much If I buy the BTR15 and not something like a proper K11? I listen to classical, country and albums like Random Access Memories. Or should I save for a K11? Portable will also not stand out in my office room.

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #3,309 of 3,678
My BTR15 is suffering from frequent cuts in audio and it’s connected to two devices right now, with only one playing. Any ideas how to fix this? Did I get a faulty one?! Any settings that cause this?

The best way to reduce latency is to use a wired connection, not wireless. Latency doesn’t matter quite so much when only listening to music, but yes it can be a real problem when watching video or playing games.
And thanks sir. Yes, I know there’s no latency issues in wired connections. It’s kind of sad that such a new device did not come with workarounds to the latency issue. :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #3,310 of 3,678
My BTR15 is suffering from frequent cuts in audio and it’s connected to two devices right now, with only one playing. Any ideas how to fix this? Did I get a faulty one?! Any settings that cause this?
If you intentionally disconnect the Bluetooth from one or the devices, does that help the problem? I have seen similar issues with other (non-FiiO) Bluetooth receiving devices when connected to both at the same time. Perhaps ask the source device you are not using at the time to disconnect, and see if things are smoother. No need to delete the pairing - just try to only have one actively connected at a given time.

And thanks sir. Yes, I know there’s no latency issues in wired connections. It’s kind of sad that such a new device did not come with workarounds to the latency issue. :frowning2:
Well technically it does - the aptX Low Latency CODEC. Unfortunately, not every source supports this CODEC too - especially iOS.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #3,313 of 3,678
Hi man,
I just got the HE400SE and am looking for a suitable portable dongle dac/amp to run them on my ROG Strix G15 at home and HP Elitebook x360 at office (both i7-10th gen laptops), also on my Samsung S20FE5G. This setup will be my endgame (will buy balanced cables anyways, the white ones that came are bad), so do you think I'll be missing out on much If I buy the BTR15 and not something like a proper K11? I listen to classical, country and albums like Random Access Memories. Or should I save for a K11? Portable will also not stand out in my office room.
Hey bro, I tried the btr15 with the he400se, you will need a balanced cable to run it at max potential as the 3.5mm doesn't do enough and my unit may have issue where it gets only slightly louder than my old btr5 at high gain on balanced and if this is just how it is then you possibly need to bump it at possibly even the highest volume on both your source and BTR15 but I know the he400se can get much louder without any issues with a dedicated amp desk/portable amp so I don't know if it's just my unit that doesn't output the advertised 340mv or if it's just that my expectations were too high going from 240mv to 340mv at 32ohms. I would wait to get more clarity about this situation. I have contacted hifigo and fiio for support to understand what's up and if it's just my device that's underperforming but I do think that it's still loud enough to enjoy your music if you are okay with the headphones only reaching about 70-80% of their actual ability. For me it's a bit on the low side as if I have to run high gain max volume on both the btr15 and my phone I'm assuming it's going to kill the battery of the btr15 much quicker making it less than ideal. I'll update you once I hear from fiio or hifigo. Also quick update for anyone that cares. The btr15 and btr5 don't have a major audible difference is quality of sound they seam to have a similar sound on stock settings and I don't think that's a bad thing. Sorry long for the rant😅

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #3,314 of 3,678
it doesn't, and they didn't even bother to get a new font matching the DPIs so it looks highly pixelated

That's disappointing.

I am yet to find a bluetooth amplifier which does display the music which is playing. Very odd as other devices (eg cars and watches) have had this sort of basic functionality for many years!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,315 of 3,678
it doesn't, and they didn't even bother to get a new font matching the DPIs so it looks highly pixelated
Tbh it looks like what is shown in the pictures, I didn't expect more than that so to me it was just fine the btr devices are just to output your audio don't think you'd be using it to control your music constantly as it's not your source itself. I hardly use the music controls on the device myself so to me I guess the display does what I need it to ( browsing the settings and changing them easier than the old BTR5) so if you manage your expectations you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back