[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #2,011 of 3,679
Hi.

I'm unsure about whether to get the btr5 or the btr3k. My headphones are 25 ohm and Sensitivity: 99dBSPL / mW. Also, I will be using it as a USB DAC mainly. The Xmos chip is swaying me towards the btr5 but I like the size and the price of the btr3k.

What would you recommend?

Both should be enough to drive your headphone, but BTR5 will be a much better USB DAC than BTR3K.

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #2,012 of 3,679
Both should be enough to drive your headphone, but BTR5 will be a much better USB DAC than BTR3K.

Cheers for the reply.

I've ordered the btr3k now. I read that with the btr5 using either balanced or unbalanced results in the use of different DACs (single for unbalanced and dual for balanced) but the btr3k using the dual DACs for both outputs.

I know the btr3k is limited to only 48khz connected via usb to a PC but I very rarely listen to hd; only Redbook.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,013 of 3,679
FX-Audio tube buffer for the slight harmonic distortion that just adds a little warmth and tube goodness.
Does raising the second order distortion level in BTR5 app setting have a similar effect?

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2,014 of 3,679
finally someones who explain the distorsion compensation feature.. so by your explanation : if i dial the second harmonic to level 5 and leave the third harmonic on 0 the sound should be more analog / musical and if i leave the second harmonic on 0 and set the third harmonic to level 5 it should give a bit more colder / analytical sound? also one more question, whats the difference between the clock divider level settings?
@littlenezt thanks for sharing the video review. 2 questions:
1. Do the distortion compensation and other settings as adjusted in the phone app. only work when that phone is the music source, or can I adjust settings in the app. that will stay in effect when I stream from my PC to the BTR5?
2. Reviewer mentions a few negatives compared to BTR3, such as ringing and poor bluetooth connection stability. Has that been the experience of other users?

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #2,015 of 3,679
@littlenezt thanks for sharing the video review. 2 questions:
1. Do the distortion compensation and other settings as adjusted in the phone app. only work when that phone is the music source, or can I adjust settings in the app. that will stay in effect when I stream from my PC to the BTR5?
2. Reviewer mentions a few negatives compared to BTR3, such as ringing and poor bluetooth connection stability. Has that been the experience of other users?

Thanks!

1. Those setting are stored in the BTR5 itself and will affect all sound regardless of source.

2. Ringing comes from the particular DAC/amp chip used (*more specifically how the DAC manufacturer implements its PCM filter) and not something implemented by FiiO. This means the same ringing will be found on all of the same model of DAC/amp chip, even by other companies that used that exact same chip. Note that BTR3 uses AKM chip while BTR5 uses ESS chip - those two companies do not implement their PCM filter the exact same way, even if they might name them similarly. Those are considered part of these DAC chips' 'house sound' and not a defect. My BTR5's wireless range is fine - I tested in the past that I can get at least 15m in open range / direct line of sight with normal environment of household electronics. Obviously this could be different with different smartphone and environment / interference so it is hard to say it will be the same for everyone else.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #2,016 of 3,679
@ClieOS that's a very helpful response, appreciated. I have an ESS DAC which I enjoy so won't be concerned about ringing, and it's good to know the settings once made in app stay engaged irrespective of source. I have a BTR5 on it's way and am looking forward to it's arrival!

Sincere thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #2,017 of 3,679
I read reviews that say the BTR5 the built in device EQ you control via Fiio Control app, does not function when being used as a USB DAC.
Is this still true?
Is there an update firmware being worked on to add this function?

I have a BTR3 and its device level EQ functions while in USB mode.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,018 of 3,679
I read reviews that say the BTR5 the built in device EQ you control via Fiio Control app, does not function when being used as a USB DAC.
Is this still true?
Is there an update firmware being worked on to add this function?

I have a BTR3 and its device level EQ functions while in USB mode.
yes it is still true.
No idea about a new firmware but the latest is 1.0.6 to my knowledge.
You may want to use a local eq software like "peace" if you are on a windows PC for example. That will provide you better control than fiio app EQ anyway.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,019 of 3,679
I'm enjoying the BTR5 quite a lot but in certain use cases the bluetooth connectivity seems subpar. If I move from the transmitter I experience not only "silent" dropouts but a loud static or thudding noise when they occur. Seems worse when I have the unit clipped to my shirt....I wonder if the clothing is interfering with the BT receiver but not sure where that is located on the unit. Any suggestions for achieving more stable connectivity would be welcomed as overall I love this unit!

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,020 of 3,679
I'm enjoying the BTR5 quite a lot but in certain use cases the bluetooth connectivity seems subpar. If I move from the transmitter I experience not only "silent" dropouts but a loud static or thudding noise when they occur. Seems worse when I have the unit clipped to my shirt....I wonder if the clothing is interfering with the BT receiver but not sure where that is located on the unit. Any suggestions for achieving more stable connectivity would be welcomed as overall I love this unit!
I find that the human body is a very effective blocker of Bluetooth signals... If you have your phone in your back pocket and the receiver on the front of your body there is a chance that will result in poor performance.

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2,021 of 3,679
I have been experimenting with the harmonic settings as my desktop is an OTL tube amp. for which some of the characteristic "euphonic" sound id said to be from 2nd order harmonics. Setting 2nd order to "4" w/3rd order at "1" does indeed enhance musicality, and my mid-fi Shozy Form 1.1 have never sounded so good!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #2,024 of 3,679
I have unique problem, currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Fiio BTR5 apparently can't load the speech audio.
I hear the ambient audio but not the conversation.
Want went wrong here?

Some games don't like sample rates above 192khz. Drop it down to 192khz in the windows advanced setting for the device and it may work properly.

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,025 of 3,679
I'm loving the BTR5. I'm using it with a Samsung Galaxy S9, using LDAC.

I've read that the EQ on the BTR5 is disabled when using LDAC. Assuming that's true, my question is whether the filters are also disabled when using LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back