[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,997 of 3,679
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between the BTR5 and the Hiby W3. I plan to use the device with my two iOS devices (iPhone X and iPad Mini) and the Hiby R5. The BTR5 has a much greater power output (220mw vs 35mw) but the W3 can transmit 24/192 through it's propeitary "UAT" BT. I'm wondering what's going to ultimately sound better via their respective balanced 2.5mm outputs? I'll be playing mostly Tidal Hi-Fi and Maters streaming from the iOS devices, but also some high-res tracks stored locally on my iPhone X. Which is going to sound better between the BTR5 and the W5? Or is that a stupid question considering I'm on the BTR5 thread? Thanks for any feedback.
The challenge with UAT (my experience, anyway) is its terrible range - the receiver and transmitter need to be practically next to each other (my recollection is about 10 feet with no obstructions). Also, both ends have to support UAT. HiBy devices do, but I don’t know of anything else that does.

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #1,998 of 3,679
And, so how does this sound through the balanced output of the BTR5? What is the best method at getting the most optimal sound quality out of the BTR5?

With Apple devices you're limited to AAC. They don't support AptX HD or LDAC. You're not gonna get hi-res, but AAC is fine, it's a pretty good codec. Also, you're not gonna get real hi-res with LDAC either. Hi-res is mostly nonsense anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #1,999 of 3,679
And, so how does this sound through the balanced output of the BTR5? What is the best method at getting the most optimal sound quality out of the BTR5?

If the source is an iDevice, then you will never get the best out of BT codec. But balanced output on the BTR5 will still get you the best possible SQ.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,000 of 3,679
Thanks everyone. What about hard wiring an iOS device to the BTR5 (via the lightening port)? Is that even possible? And then, without relying on BT, you should be able to get a higher sample rate, and so better quality, correct?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,001 of 3,679
Thank everyone. What about hard wiring an iOS device to the BTR5 (via the lightening port)? Is that even possible? And then, without relying on BT, you should be able to get a higher sample rate, and so better quality, correct?

You can connect BTR5 to iOS devices via Apple camera connection kit, but most native iOS app will not output more than 16/48 (because they all follow Apple 'standard' USB DAC driver that limits to 16/48). To get Hi-res output, you will also need to use an app that is capable of outputting Hi-res via its own driver, such as Onkyo HF Player.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #2,002 of 3,679
You can connect BTR5 to iOS devices via Apple camera connection kit, but most native iOS app will not output more than 16/48 (because they all follow Apple 'standard' USB DAC driver that limits to 16/48). To get Hi-res output, you will also need to use an app that is capable of outputting Hi-res via its own driver, such as Onkyo HF Player.
Ah! Great, I have the Apple CCK, and I also happen to have the Onkyo HF Player. And I have Tidal Hi-Fi subscription. So, sounds like I'm good to go. I just got to figure out the sample rate Tidal offers out of their iOS app for those with Hi-Fi subscription..

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #2,003 of 3,679
Ah! Great, I have the Apple CCK, and I also happen to have the Onkyo HF Player. And I have Tidal Hi-Fi subscription. So, sounds like I'm good to go. I just got to figure out the sample rate Tidal offers out of their iOS app for those with Hi-Fi subscription..
Using ifi xdsd, chord Mojo and other USB DACs, iOS outputs bitperfect from Tidal app. 16/44, 24/96 or MQA using an MQA compatible DAC

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #2,004 of 3,679
How is the BT transmission between the BTR5 and the Q5s? I have the Q5s, on a usb cable to the pc, it's clean, but on BT, even next to phone, there are often gltches.
I know there is a physical issue with the Q5s w.r.t to all the metal used, so just wondering if the range and cleanliness of the BTR5 is much better, or a case of Fiio have a crappy BT signal anyway.

thanks.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #2,005 of 3,679
Random aside, I was just looking at my BTR5 today and noticed that it's constructed very well.. Tight tolerances, the buttons are very clicky and offer great feedback, the ports are all correctly lined up and don't move and when you insert a cable into the jack it has a satisfying click. Just feels like quality.
Can't wait to use the balanced port with my FH3 when it arrives.

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,006 of 3,679
How is the BT transmission between the BTR5 and the Q5s? I have the Q5s, on a usb cable to the pc, it's clean, but on BT, even next to phone, there are often gltches.
I know there is a physical issue with the Q5s w.r.t to all the metal used, so just wondering if the range and cleanliness of the BTR5 is much better, or a case of Fiio have a crappy BT signal anyway.

thanks.

I got both and BTR5’s BT signal is a lot stronger than Q5s. Was still listening to my music in the bathroom with the phone in the other room.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,007 of 3,679
I got both and BTR5’s BT signal is a lot stronger than Q5s. Was still listening to my music in the bathroom with the phone in the other room.
Awesome. This should really eliminate most of the frustration i had with the q5s. What's your opinion of the 2?

Aug 26, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #2,008 of 3,679
Awesome. This should really eliminate most of the frustration i had with the q5s. What's your opinion of the 2?

I’ve been impressed by the sound quality of the BTR5, it packs some power in its small size. I have yet to do a side by side test but from memory the Q5s did sound slightly better with more headroom and bass is more emphatic. But as we know the BT signal isn’t the best. However the past couple of weeks of just using the BTR5, I haven’t really missed the Q5s, it’s been more than satisfying. I’ve been limited to AAC codec but look forward to hearing it on better ones.

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,010 of 3,679
There are two common sign - First is the simple kind that the headphone doesn't sound loud enough. This is usually headphones that has high impedance and low sensitivity. There is where more voltage from the amp section can help. Second is the more complicated kind with headphone doesn't sound 'tight' enough (a.k.a. 'soft' sounding) even with enough volume. This is usually headphones that has very low impedance but relatively high sensitivity (i.e. many multi-driver, single digit impedance IEM belong here). This is where more current (+ reserved current) from the amp section can help.

Hi.

I'm unsure about whether to get the btr5 or the btr3k. My headphones are 25 ohm and Sensitivity: 99dBSPL / mW. Also, I will be using it as a USB DAC mainly. The Xmos chip is swaying me towards the btr5 but I like the size and the price of the btr3k.

What would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back