[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,966 of 3,678
The BTR3 and new BTR3k in USB DAC mode work with the switch, but I got rid of my PS4 / Xbox a while back as I was playing more PC games. I was actually looking for a console fix recently - but I couldn't find a console to purchase... all the sites I checked had only used/refurb units - even MS Store was out of everything, what happened?

Anyway, I've searched before for PS4/Xbox compatibility with BTR5 / BTR3k in USB DAC mode and found nothing, just like now... weird right? You'd think someone would have tried it by now...

The BTR5 in USB DAC mode is incompatible with the Nintendo switch, but the BTR3k works, so if you want play around with testing USB DAC mode I'd invest in the BTR3k first and see if that works with the PS4 / Xbox as it's less expensive than the BTR5 and cheap enough to dedicate to the task long term if the BTR3k does work.

If you just want to use the BTR5 / BTR3k as a Bluetooth receiver with the PS4 that might work too, the PS4 advertises connecting with BT headphones (receivers) so it might just be a matter of the usual connection dance. That may be why we don't hear about the BTR5 / BTR3k and PS4 / Xbox as BT connectivity - maybe it just works?

I hope that helps a bit :)

Did you try switching the BTR5 from USB 2.0 to USB 1.0?

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,967 of 3,678
Using btr5 with Little Dot mk2 amp, beyerdynamic dt150 and hd6xx with great results and zero problems.
may i ask on what volume did you set the btr5 while using the little dot mk2 amp?

Do you already have both the BTR5 and the A5? If so, why not just try it? It shouldn't hurt anything. I'm currently using the BTR5 with my E12A and DT 1990. Sounds okay, but I can't really do any close listening since my air conditioner is going.
earlier when i ask the question im still planning to buy the A5, since it seems a nice idea to have bluetooth setup + a bit more power from the A5, and i can also use it with my DF Cobalt, also not sure if DFC have line out or not *a bit out of topic tho since this is btr5 thread*

now i already bought the A5, and ive tried using it with the btr5 on hi gain max volume, seems decent with no obvious clipping or distortion. im a bit concerned on the battery consumption of the btr5 tho.

sorry, i hope my english not too confusing :sweat_smile:

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #1,968 of 3,678
may i ask on what volume did you set the btr5 while using the little dot mk2 amp?

earlier when i ask the question im still planning to buy the A5, since it seems a nice idea to have bluetooth setup + a bit more power from the A5, and i can also use it with my DF Cobalt, also not sure if DFC have line out or not *a bit out of topic tho since this is btr5 thread*

now i already bought the A5, and ive tried using it with the btr5 on hi gain max volume, seems decent with no obvious clipping or distortion. im a bit concerned on the battery consumption of the btr5 tho.

I tried it on both max volume and a little bit under. I couldn't detect a difference, but, like I said, the A/C was making a lot of noise. Battery shouldn't be too big an issue, I don't think, since the high input impedance on the A5 means the BTR5 only has to provide very little current... On the other hand, maxing the volume might eat into the battery. I'm not too sure about that, though.
I didn't think to set the BTR5 to high gain... I'll try that, too.

I believe the DFC should work with the A5. Last I remember, you have to lower the DFC's volume slightly to avoid clipping. I used to use my E12A with a DFR. Worked great.

EDIT: trying now with BTR5 on high gain. I also turned the air conditioner off, so can listen a little more closely. Sounds fine, if a bit... lifeless? Veiled? Muffled? Muddy? I don't like to use words like that because I don't think they're very descriptive, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm hearing. In fact, I'm so unsure that it could be my mood or my energy level or simply misremembering how these headphones sound normally...
... Oh. Wait a minute. I forgot I had the bass boost on the E12A turned on... Sounds somewhat better now. But maybe still not quite 100%.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,969 of 3,678

Too many variables! 😄
Normaly I have btr5 on max and LD amp on 9 or 10 o'clock with beyer and 11 or 12 with hd6xx. This with internal amp gain on 4.
Now I'm testing with 50 on btr5 and a little more on the amp.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,970 of 3,678
Too many variables! 😄
Normaly I have btr5 on max and LD amp on 9 or 10 o'clock with beyer and 11 or 12 with hd6xx. This with internal amp gain on 4.
Now I'm testing with 50 on btr5 and a little more on the amp.
did the btr5 battery drain crazily on max volume?

I tried it on both max volume and a little bit under. I couldn't detect a difference, but, like I said, the A/C was making a lot of noise. Battery shouldn't be too big an issue, I don't think, since the high input impedance on the A5 means the BTR5 only has to provide very little current... On the other hand, maxing the volume might eat into the battery. I'm not too sure about that, though.
I didn't think to set the BTR5 to high gain... I'll try that, too.

I believe the DFC should work with the A5. Last I remember, you have to lower the DFC's volume slightly to avoid clipping. I used to use my E12A with a DFR. Worked great.

EDIT: trying now with BTR5 on high gain. I also turned the air conditioner off, so can listen a little more closely. Sounds fine, if a bit... lifeless? Veiled? Muffled? Muddy? I don't like to use words like that because I don't think they're very descriptive, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm hearing. In fact, I'm so unsure that it could be my mood or my energy level or simply misremembering how these headphones sound normally...
... Oh. Wait a minute. I forgot I had the bass boost on the E12A turned on... Sounds somewhat better now. But maybe still not quite 100%.
THIS !
with BTR5 volume on 60 hi gain, FiiO A5 also on hi gain somehow i feel the music is a bit lifeless, flat ? like the dynamic range isnt there, dont know what the correct terms to describe it tho.
gonna try with hi gain on lower volume

*trying with dt990 250ohm and senn hd600

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,971 of 3,678

THIS !
with BTR5 volume on 60 hi gain, FiiO A5 also on hi gain somehow i feel the music is a bit lifeless, flat ? like the dynamic range isnt there, dont know what the correct terms to describe it tho.

My guess is that it's because the BTR5 doesn't quite provide a 2V "line level" output.

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,972 of 3,678
My guess is that it's because the BTR5 doesn't quite provide a 2V "line level" output.
i've tried using hi gain lower volume, low gain max vol, hi gain max vol + FiiO A5 hi gain, low gain.
the sounds somehow feels lifeless to the point it just better off plug the headphone directly to the btr5 without any external amp :smile:
also with hi gain, max vol, the battery drains fast :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,973 of 3,678

THIS !

I really don't keep track of play hours. I just charge it while listening, when I notice the battery bellow half.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #1,975 of 3,678
I just noticed that the built in calculator does not reflect changes when switching Low Gain to High Gain. It does, however, reflect changes from 3.5mm to 2.5mm

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,976 of 3,678
Hey, just got emailed about a new dongle from Creative built to dedicate to provide BT for PS4 / Nintendo Switch:
"... a simple plug-and-play functionality, you can easily enjoy high-quality Bluetooth audio with your PS4™, Nintendo Switch™, PC, or Mac. "
Thank you for both your replies, hmscott.
Am I understanding this right, this is a dongle that I plug into my PS4 (Pro) that my portable amp or headphones connects to via BT and that offers the codecs you mentioned in your post because the PS4 won't handshake with a portable amp (due to different iterations of BT or something else)?

Does the dongle get the an uncompressed signal over USB or how does that work? Does it act like a USB soundcard? Please excuse these questions but I am still new to this audio over BT stuff.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,977 of 3,678
Thank you for both your replies, hmscott.
Am I understanding this right, this is a dongle that I plug into my PS4 (Pro) that my portable amp or headphones connects to via BT and that offers the codecs you mentioned in your post because the PS4 won't handshake with a portable amp (due to different iterations of BT or something else)?

Does the dongle get the an uncompressed signal over USB or how does that work? Does it act like a USB soundcard? Please excuse these questions but I am still new to this audio over BT stuff.

Yes, you plug the BT-W3 into your PS4, and it will send BT audio to your BT amp or headphones. It will be stereo only on PS4. The audio it sends varies upon the capability of the BT device you are using, SBC, AptX-HD, LL, etc. Chat audio on PS4 still needs the included BT-W3 3.5mm chat adapter, or other means of external mic, such as modmic or similar. I just received my BT-W3 today and will post impressions of it with PS4 once I've spent some time with it.

I'm waiting to see what the PS5 will be able to send via USB. If it can send processed surround audio via BT, then I will either pick up a BT3K or BTR5, and connect to my wired headphones to pair with the BT-W3.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,978 of 3,678
I'm interested in buying a portable DAC. I saw the Mi5 Fiio at first but was not convinced because it could not be used with Spotify on the mobile. Now I'm between the Fiio BTR5 and the BTR3K

Which of these two is better? My priority is sound quality with bluetooth headphones, I previously used the Meizu DAC Hi-Fi pro, but was not convinced and will sell it.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,979 of 3,678
I'm interested in buying a portable DAC. I saw the Mi5 Fiio at first but was not convinced because it could not be used with Spotify on the mobile. Now I'm between the Fiio BTR5 and the BTR3K

Which of these two is better? My priority is sound quality with bluetooth headphones, I previously used the Meizu DAC Hi-Fi pro, but was not convinced and will sell it.
You wrote “My priority is sound quality with bluetooth headphones

Neither the BTR5 or BTR3K will drive Bluetooth headphone. These are Bluetooth receivers that you connect wired headphones to.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back