[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,756 of 3,707
Before adding new features, you should fix bugs maybe? E.g. have the internal EQ work on USB and possibly LDAC connection ?

Dunno about LDAC but the current EQ is not going to work on USB DAC mode. This is due to hardware limitation (or more precisely how the hardware is implemented on BTR5) and not because of any bug.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,758 of 3,707
Dunno about LDAC but the current EQ is not going to work on USB DAC mode. This is due to hardware limitation (or more precisely how the hardware is implemented on BTR5) and not because of any bug.
I very much recommend to use the player's EQ function, if you need some.
I believe Fiio only put it there to help with sources such as TV, or a phone call.
by that policy, usb input and hi-res codecs such as LDAC do not benefit from it. hence for purity of sound the internal EQ is disabled, as it should.
my understanding is, that this is by design , not a shortcoming.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,759 of 3,707
Yes, please add MQA
I doubt that there'll be mqa support on the Btr5.
As i didn't misread, it'll come with a new device. :wink:
It's a license thing that'll prevent Mqa support on Btr5, i guess.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,760 of 3,707
I doubt that there'll be mqa support on the Btr5.
As i didn't misread, it'll come with a new device. :wink:
It's a license thing that'll prevent Mqa support on Btr5, i guess.

iFi retrospectively added MQA support to their DAC/amp via firmware update, so licensing is not an issue as long as FiiO is willing to pay the relevant fee and has the minimum hardware to support it (*which BTR5 does have). But whether it is cost effective to do so is another matter - given MQA is only going to be supported in USB DAC mode (*as it is not compatible with bluetooth) so BT user will not benefit from it, besides the fact that not everyone subscribed to MQA supported streaming service.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,761 of 3,707
iFi retrospectively added MQA support to their DAC/amp via firmware update, so licensing is not an issue as long as FiiO is willing to pay the relevant fee and has the minimum hardware to support it (*which BTR5 does have). But whether it is cost effective to do so is another matter - given MQA is only going to be supported in USB DAC mode (*as it is not compatible with bluetooth) so BT user will not benefit from it, besides the fact that not everyone subscribed to MQA supported streaming service.
Thanks for pointing to that fact.
Didn't know they've done this in the past. :)

Have a great day.
Chris

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,762 of 3,707
I don't see any USB C to USB C cables made by Fiio, odd. I tried a C>B adapter on their CL06 but it must be for charging only. Has anyone got a link to a cable I can use to connect my BTR5 to my S10 please?

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,763 of 3,707
I don't see any USB C to USB C cables made by Fiio, odd. I tried a C>B adapter on their CL06 but it must be for charging only. Has anyone got a link to a cable I can use to connect my BTR5 to my S10 please?
I use 2 different cables, one FiiO, one DD. Here's is where I find them now - they go in and out of stock:

DD TC05 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for FiiO K3/BTR1K/M9/M6 10 cm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJZBYVH

FiiO LT-TC1 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for K3/M9/M11/M5/BTR5
https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-lt...ecoding-cable-for-fiio-k3-m9-m11-m5-btr5-btr3

I've also successfully used the Nintendo Switch USB-C to USB-C controller cable's :)

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,764 of 3,707
I use 2 different cables, one FiiO, one DD. Here's is where I find them now - they go in and out of stock:

DD TC05 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for FiiO K3/BTR1K/M9/M6 10 cm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJZBYVH

FiiO LT-TC1 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for K3/M9/M11/M5/BTR5
https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-lt...ecoding-cable-for-fiio-k3-m9-m11-m5-btr5-btr3

I've also successfully used the Nintendo Switch USB-C to USB-C controller cable's :)
Thank you very much.
They were trying to charge me almost 4x the amount for shipping to my country, I found it on AliExpress free shipping if anyone is in the same situation.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #1,766 of 3,707
i now have my LCD-2 Classics and connected to the BTR5 it sounds nice via LDAC. on 3.5mm high gain was up to about 55 volume but didnt want to run it that high. Got my balanced cable plugged in and the first noticeable difference was the volume, that was LOUD luckily didnt have the on, not sure of any improvement in SQ as only really tested the 3.5 as im not going to use it. Got to about 45 H volume yesterday which was just for a bit. I'm currently on DAC from phone 38 H as i plan on listening to them for most of the day while working. Im very impressed, they sound really good but i can tell there is more yet to come out. Will be interesting when i get my Topping E30 & Schiit Heresy to see the difference but for now im happy.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #1,767 of 3,707
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #1,768 of 3,707
What links? For those looking to purchase off of AliExpress?
Hooga has already shared it, but I just did a search for the same name and got it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #1,769 of 3,707
Hooga has already shared it, but I just did a search for the same name and got it.
Thank you both, that's what I was looking for: the DD Official Store on Aliexpress :)
https://ddhifi.aliexpress.com/store/4673052?spm=a2g0o.store_home.1000001.12.780169545i2a16

Here in the US it takes a very long time to get packages shipped via the AliExpress free shipping, and the DHL path is usually too expensive unless the AliExpress store pairs up with DHL and subsidizes the costs - like the BTR5 "Realm of the Sky" edition I bought from FiiO which only took a few days to arrive.

I received URUAV 1S Lipo's I ordered May 4th and arrived on June 6th... in a paper envelope... very dangerous way to ship Lipo batteries. Fortunately they were wrapped in bubble wrap and made it through the trip ok, although one of the boxes was crushed on one side the Lipo's weren't damaged, but they easily could have been. Also the package wasn't labeled as having Lipo's - no hazardous material warnings.

In that time I bought batteries from local US dealers and they were shipped triple boxed - with the appropriate hazmat warning labels, and they arrived in 2-7 days - also free shipping.

If I can get the same products for the same or even cheaper prices in the US, much quicker and shipped safer, it's tough to wait for the slow boat from China - AliExpress.

Here's that DD TCO5 cable from AliExpress @ $11.90:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961312907.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_12878253.pic_2

And, here's the same cable through Amazon @ $7.90:
https://www.amazon.com/TC05-Audio-Decoding-Cable-BTR1K/dp/B07PJZBYVH

If I were in Europe I'd imagine AliExpress would be more attractive. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,770 of 3,707
Hi all,

Sorry if my question is too dumb. I am new to Dac/Amp topic. I am thinking of buying either BTR5 or Fiio E10K. Both are in same price range (almost). I love to have Bluetooth capability and not to have to deal with a lot of wires all the time but I am just afraid of losing quality because of it. Is BTR5 gonna give me same sound quality as E10K. One caveat is that, none of my devices (laptop/phone) are at the moment BT 5.0. Will that downgrade the performance of BTR5 even further.

I thank a lot the experts in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back