[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,426 of 3,707
I made a video review about BTR5. All the sass I always include with my videos, comedy, and some interesting things that I wanted to mention about it!

Your videos are great and I really like your review style! ☺️👍

Though I must say I disagree with the statement that „Bluetooth will always sound worse than wired“. This is too much generalized. It’s a very complex topic in my opinion that depends on so many factors. You need to add many „ifs“ and „whens“. Anyway - keep on doing great work!

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,427 of 3,707
Your videos are great and I really like your review style! ☺👍

Though I must say I disagree with the statement that „Bluetooth will always sound worse than wired“. This is too much generalized. It’s a very complex topic in my opinion that depends on so many factors. You need to add many „ifs“ and „whens“. Anyway - keep on doing great work!

Thank you for your kind words!

I usually mean that BT will always sound worse than wired, if using the same device. Of course, some companies can implement DSP when using BT and make up for the loss in raw detail, but BT implies some kind of loss of data by design.

I will try to not make such a generalized statement next time :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #1,428 of 3,707
I usually mean that BT will always sound worse than wired, if using the same device. Of course, some companies can implement DSP when using BT and make up for the loss in raw detail, but BT implies some kind of loss of data by design.

Yes, of course generally I know what you mean. :)
But me, I even would not go as far as that! I think the only correct statement that one can make concerning BT audio is that "currently there is no BT codec that works losslessly".

Whether the "loss" is always truly audible, whether one can really talk about "better" or "worse" sound quality, especially if the music is already compressed on the device, whether other factors are more important than the codec itself....are just a few questions that one can ask concerning this topic.

Well, just some thoughts....

Hope you did not take it as an offence! Again: Keep on doing great stuff!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #1,429 of 3,707
When available I always chose wired in the past. With the BTR5 and LDAC... not so much anymore. My ears are in their late 50’s (technically so is the part they are attached to, I suppose), so that might make a difference. But to me, I really would have to try hard - and be lucky - to reliably detect the difference between my BTR5 with LDAC vs wired to my LG v30, or my R6 Pro, or any number of USB-C dongles I have connected to those sources. And this is with balanced or SE cables, and $30 or $600 IEMs.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,430 of 3,707
When available I always chose wired in the past. With the BTR5 and LDAC... not so much anymore. My ears are in their late 50’s (technically so is the part they are attached to, I suppose), so that might make a difference. But to me, I really would have to try hard - and be lucky - to reliably detect the difference between my BTR5 with LDAC vs wired to my LG v30, or my R6 Pro, or any number of USB-C dongles I have connected to those sources. And this is with balanced or SE cables, and $30 or $600 IEMs.

It may sound a little better when using it as a wired DAC vs LDAC, but maybe I'm just imagining it :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,433 of 3,707
Yes, of course generally I know what you mean. :)
But me, I even would not go as far as that! I think the only correct statement that one can make concerning BT audio is that "currently there is no BT codec that works losslessly".

Whether the "loss" is always truly audible, whether one can really talk about "better" or "worse" sound quality, especially if the music is already compressed on the device, whether other factors are more important than the codec itself....are just a few questions that one can ask concerning this topic.

Well, just some thoughts....

Hope you did not take it as an offence! Again: Keep on doing great stuff!

Don't worry!

No offence taken

I just did a quick check to verify it, and felt like reporting on it.

Maxxed out the volume on BTR5 and source

Had it on BT, and a cable prepared. Played the same song, same loudness, same headphones, same everything.

Quickly switched from BT to cable, it can do that in less than a second.

Sounded better on wired, especially in soundstage and depth of music

This is why I reported it like that

But I agree, no BT codec is truly lossless, and it is a really complex topic to discuss.

In the video you say it is not neutral. Did you measure its frequency response? Or is this your subjective impression?

Subjective impressions. It is slightly warm, not warm and thicc like BTR3K.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,434 of 3,707

I won't argue that some people can't hear the differences.

If I didn't do proper ABX, my input may not be as relkiable, but to check on such statements, I always ABX with volume matching. Reveals differences the best :)

In the end, BT is about convenience, and I'll agree that it is really convenient to use it!

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #1,435 of 3,707
Don't worry!
Don't worry!

No offence taken

I just did a quick check to verify it, and felt like reporting on it.

Maxxed out the volume on BTR5 and source

Had it on BT, and a cable prepared. Played the same song, same loudness, same headphones, same everything.

Quickly switched from BT to cable, it can do that in less than a second.

Sounded better on wired, especially ...

Hi! Actually I also have the Btr5 and totally agree with your observation! It does sound better wired if the same file is used!
Just I wanted to say that one cannot generally say „wired (will) always sound (s) better“ - that is all! :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,436 of 3,707
Hi! Actually I also have the Btr5 and totally agree with your observation! It does sound better wired if the same file is used!
Just I wanted to say that one cannot generally say „wired (will) always sound (s) better“ - that is all! :)

Reall fair, and thank you for pointing that out! :)

I hope you're rocking and enjoying it a lot in there!

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #1,437 of 3,707
I recently purchased the BTR5 and am deciding on what case to buy for it as the plastic case looks ugly and I don't think ill be needing the clip. So far, there have only been 2 other options online - the FIIO branded plain black case or the DD case with the big cutout down the middle of the case. Am I crazy to think that the FIIO case without the cutout will affect the btr5 unit???? Why does the DD case have a cutout and FIIO does not?

Any of you guys have any experience with these cases?

maybe @FiiO can chime in

Attachments

• s-l160d0.jpg
    s-l160d0.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,438 of 3,707
you guys have any experience with these cases?

I have the Fiio case and i really like it, i didn't notice any difference with or without case in Bluetooth reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back