[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #1,157 of 3,679
It's both.
While LDAC mostly is software related you need a bluetooth chip, which is capable to make use of the software.

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #1,159 of 3,679
An extra note: Sony already contribute LDAC coding into AOSP so it is basically free for all Android smartphone manufacturers to implement on their smartphone. The only reason why some of the newer Android models don't support it is mostly just a business decision.

Check the spec of the smartphone. It usually will be listed on the Bluetooth section.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,160 of 3,679
A question about mic.
The BTR5 integrates a microphone. If you use a headset with an integrated microphone, the BTR5 uses this one instead of the integrated one (or both?).
This is for a 3.5SE input.
Did I get it right?
What about the balanced 2.5 input? Are there headphones with balanced cable that also have an integrated microphone?
Does the 2.5 input of BTR5 allow the connection of a microphone?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,161 of 3,679
A question about mic.
The BTR5 integrates a microphone. If you use a headset with an integrated microphone, the BTR5 uses this one instead of the integrated one (or both?).
This is for a 3.5SE input.
Did I get it right?
What about the balanced 2.5 input? Are there headphones with balanced cable that also have an integrated microphone?
Does the 2.5 input of BTR5 allow the connection of a microphone?

For 3.5mm , it will use both. The mic on headset for voice, the mic on BTR5 for noise cancelling (*similar to the extra mic on top of smartphone that cancels noise).

For 2.5mm, only the mic on BTR5 will be used. It is impossible to support mic on a 2.5mm balanced connection, nor is there any balanced headphones with 2.5mm plug that has a mic.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,162 of 3,679
Thank you for the answer.
Is there a way to know if it is supported by your smartphone (without owning the BTR5!)?
Your smartphone should list it as a feature. Go to the manufacturer website and look for a technical specs/details section and under wireless, most will list the Bluetooth codecs that are supported.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #1,163 of 3,679
Your smartphone should list it as a feature. Go to the manufacturer website and look for a technical specs/details section and under wireless, most will list the Bluetooth codecs that are supported.

On the manufacturer website and on many site with technical specs often about bluetooth there is only a generic "bluetooth 4.2".
I found the codecs supported on bluetoothcheck.com: I don't know if the information reported is reliable.
However, I just have to wait about a week to find out: I purchased the BTR5 from the official dealer in my country and it should be shipped shortly.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,164 of 3,679
I'd recommend to heading to a local tech dealer, take a sony bluetooth speaker like XB32 or similar and you can check it by yourself. :)
It's the easiest way, imo.
Take note that there're 2 settings you have to check.
First is located in the bluetooth settings for the paired device.
The second can be found in developer settings where you mostly can set the bitrate of the ldac codec.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,165 of 3,679
...I found the codecs supported on bluetoothcheck.com: I don't know if the information reported is reliable....
I don't think that site is super reliable. A lot of Apple devices don't list AAC that I know support it, and a few Android devices also are missing codecs I know I've used with them before.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,166 of 3,679
On the manufacturer website and on many site with technical specs often about bluetooth there is only a generic "bluetooth 4.2".
I found the codecs supported on bluetoothcheck.com: I don't know if the information reported is reliable.
However, I just have to wait about a week to find out: I purchased the BTR5 from the official dealer in my country and it should be shipped shortly.

What kind of phone do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back