[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #1,021 of 3,723
Anyone here also have the Shanling UP4? I just received mine today, and I gotta say, first impressions are (on my DT 1770 PRO) clarity and imaging are better on the UP4. There definitely sounds to be more roll off in the top end on the BTR5.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,022 of 3,723
Anyone here also have the Shanling UP4? I just received mine today, and I gotta say, first impressions are (on my DT 1770 PRO) clarity and imaging are better on the UP4. There definitely sounds to be more roll off in the top end on the BTR5.

Is that usb mode? From the couple of comparisons I've read between the 2 they said the up4 was warmer. Honestly the treble on my btr5 is very extended. Lol now I want to compare.

And is that balanced mode? It's funny how we all hear things differently- this is the only amazon review of up4- I do like the shanling control wheel though.

Screenshot_20200219-181845_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,023 of 3,723
Is that usb mode? From the couple of comparisons I've read between the 2 they said the up4 was warmer. Honestly the treble on my btr5 is very extended. Lol now I want to compare.

And is that balanced mode? It's funny how we all hear things differently- this is the only amazon review of up4- I do like the shanling control wheel though.

I'm still in my early stages of listening to the UP4 on "Boost" gain mode (there's Low, High, and Boost) via Bluetooth (LDAC) and right now, I'm just running 3.5mm unbalanced with my DT 1770 PRO (250 ohms). I'll probably go balanced later with my ATH-MSR7b (with 8 core 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adapter).

Listening to some remastered Elton John stuff, the UP4 just sounds a bit more "lively".

I have not tried USB mode yet.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,024 of 3,723
I'm still in my early stages of listening to the UP4 on "Boost" gain mode (there's Low, High, and Boost) via Bluetooth (LDAC) and right now, I'm just running 3.5mm unbalanced with my DT 1770 PRO (250 ohms). I'll probably go balanced later with my ATH-MSR7b (with 8 core 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adapter).

Listening to some remastered Elton John stuff, the UP4 just sounds a bit more "lively".

I have not tried USB mode yet.

Ahh, I've heard that the boost mode on the 3.5 on the shanling is a dual dac mode while the fiio is using only one dac on 3.5. Maybe that's the difference, I like the balanced out quite a bit more than the SE out on btr5.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #1,025 of 3,723
Ahh, I've heard that the boost mode on the 3.5 on the shanling is a dual dac mode while the fiio is using only one dac on 3.5. Maybe that's the difference, I like the balanced out quite a bit more than the SE out on btr5.
I think you're right on the 3.5mm mode. I can definitely say 3.5mm unbalanced is superior on the UP4.

2.5mm balanced does sound a touch more sparkle on the UP4 using my ATH-MSR7b, but a little smoother on the BTR5. Really, user preference here, especially depending on the type of headphones you're using. For the ATH-MSR7b, the UP4 can get fatiguing after a while, compared with the BTR5, which is smoother.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,026 of 3,723
need a litle help,
i broke something i guess :)
playing around in the app and on the device itself.
the problem now is that the output on bluetooth is realy ''low''
in the beginning on low gain +- 25 was realy loud, now i can crank it up all the way(and on high gain!)
and its still loud, but nothing compared to what it was before.
if i connect it with cable to pc its still normal, so unit does not seem broken.
tried different phone, problem is the same.
tried reboot and restoring with the app, nothing helps.
quality of the audio is also lacking, connected true laptop it still gives me the WOW factor
with bluetooth its just....ok .

thanks for thinking with me :wink:

edit: found some weird ''feature'' holding down multi button and volume down gives a system sound, and then audio goes realy loud (normal) again, holding both again gives lower sound volume. weird.... so for now ''fixed''

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,027 of 3,723
Is that on both L/H Gain on the BTR5? On some headphones the Low Gain seems weak even though the volume is fine, and switching to High Gain makes the sound "fill out" the sound stage. Hard to explain, it's something you have to play with on each set of headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,028 of 3,723
Is the included USB-C cable for charging only or data transfer also?

I can't get the BTR5 to connect to my S9+ phone. I have set the priority in the music app as USB DAC.

I previously had a iFi hip-dac and that was able to connect to my phone without a problem.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,029 of 3,723
Is the included USB-C cable for charging only or data transfer also?

I can't get the BTR5 to connect to my S9+ phone. I have set the priority in the music app as USB DAC.

I previously had a iFi hip-dac and that was able to connect to my phone without a problem.

Are you using usb 1 or 2 setting? Both settings work with the fiio app and the hiby app. I used the included cable with an adapter and it worked fine. What music app are you using?

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,030 of 3,723
Are you using usb 1 or 2 setting? Both settings work with the fiio app and the hiby app. I used the included cable with an adapter and it worked fine. What music app are you using?

I set to USB 1.0

I used the adapter that came with my phone also on the included cable.

The music app I am using is foobar and I also tried the FiiO music app.

I also tried with and without the 'Charge' enabled.

I pretty much followed their tutorial on youtube, the only thing I noticed different with my setup is the cable they used so I was suspecting that was the issue. But since you are able to use the cable, I guess it is something else. Thanks.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #1,031 of 3,723
I set to USB 1.0

I used the adapter that came with my phone also on the included cable.

The music app I am using is foobar and I also tried the FiiO music app.

I also tried with and without the 'Charge' enabled.

I pretty much followed their tutorial on youtube, the only thing I noticed different with my setup is the cable they used so I was suspecting that was the issue. But since you are able to use the cable, I guess it is something else. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, wish I could be more help. The usb out sounds great off my 10E. Did you try it from PC by any chance?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,032 of 3,723
Sorry to hear that, wish I could be more help. The usb out sounds great off my 10E. Did you try it from PC by any chance?

Actually, I figured it out and it was the cable after all. I took a friends cable that came with their Pixel and that one worked. Looks like I have to go get a cable that is more up to spec.

Yes, I tried with a PC and it worked. Thanks

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,033 of 3,723
Actually, I figured it out and it was the cable after all. I took a friends cable that came with their Pixel and that one worked. Looks like I have to go get a cable that is more up to spec.

Yes, I tried with a PC and it worked. Thanks

Good to hear you got it sorted, I was using and OTG adapter, don't know if that made a difference. Since then I got a C to C cable.

20200205_133744.jpg

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,035 of 3,723
So, I'm tempted between a BTR5 and a DAP like the Fiio M6 or anything a bit better like the Onkyo DP-X1. How would one of those compare to using a BTR5 with my phone as a player? SQ is the most important for me.

I had the m6 and the m11 and I had the q5s with the thx amp. The m6 just doesn't come close to the clarity, dynamics and holographic big soundstage of the BTR5. The BTR5 sounds flagship quality, unless you're trying to drive like hd600 or some planers to their full potential.

Then something with more power is going to make those types of cans sound better. But if you're driving something that's not too demanding or iems then this thing is right up there with say Sony wm1a or say paw 6000 which I just had.

The btr5 is very close to neutral which some might not like. They might prefer a warmer source. It's still got a little warmth, it's not as flat as paw 6000, but it has great control and dynamics. Really no weak points other than that stuff has more power. Well most of it. I prefer the sound of btr5 even to m11 myself.

Now this is using balanced out and high gain and I mostly listen to usb out. Although ldac sounds spectacular. I think the balanced out sounds better than the SE out but to me that still sounds better than m6- which is a nice little dap.

But lol I can hook up the btr5 to my pc or phone and crank it a bit and it sounds as good as any dap or amp I've used with my gear. I'm using meze classics, akt8ieii, and blon 3.

Now I do have senn hd600 and they sound pretty damn good through the balanced out... but well the mojo or even the q5s or ifi xdsd makes them sound better/fuller- especially the mojo. Hence the difference of being 'loud' enough and driven properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back