[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #541 of 3,670
Source volume should always be maxed out

I've just tried setting phone (S10+) output to max, and btr5 volume at 25, and music started to crackle randomly.
I've tried playing the same song using fiio music app and neutron music player, the music crackles at different points.
Reducing phone volume to 83% and upping btr5 volume to 32 seems to stop any crackling.

Anyone having similar issues with maxing phone output?

Using LDAC output at best effort(adaptive bit rate)
Music is FLAC format.
Btr5 firmware updates to 1.0.6.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #544 of 3,670
Pulled the trigger on a BTR5 + case (aliexpress). Now I am trying to answer myself, whether that was required, having a superb es100 for mobility and mojo at home.

Depends what your driving. Don't expect BTR5 to be a major step up from ES100 balanced over LDAC sonically. ES100 still great SQ.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #545 of 3,670
Got mine, Im running Hifiman Sundaras from this on H-gain single ended aptx-HD, sounds pretty good and gets way louder than I ever need to but I'm getting the balanced cable anyway.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #546 of 3,670
Got mine, Im running Hifiman Sundaras from this on H-gain single ended aptx-HD, sounds pretty good and gets way louder than I ever need to but I'm getting the balanced cable anyway.

I'm running Mr Speakers AFC from the balanced output. Plenty loud enough at vol 35 and high gain.

Not too sure how long the battery will last though. :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #547 of 3,670
I've just tried setting phone (S10+) output to max, and btr5 volume at 25, and music started to crackle randomly.
I've tried playing the same song using fiio music app and neutron music player, the music crackles at different points.
Reducing phone volume to 83% and upping btr5 volume to 32 seems to stop any crackling.

Anyone having similar issues with maxing phone output?

Using LDAC output at best effort(adaptive bit rate)
Music is FLAC format.
Btr5 firmware updates to 1.0.6.

Always have my S10+ BT volume set to max then adjust with the BTR5. No noise of any kind other than beautiful music.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #548 of 3,670
Ok so initial impressions........turned on and paired, stuck some er4xr balanced on , were talking 2 mins set up and 1 test track Amazon hd..... its excellent , I'm totally a wired guy normally but this sounds very good and probably for my use which is at work I probably wont bother wiring it ...excellent sound for its price range and well above.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #549 of 3,670
Just trying wired now with the andro, working smooth and not a glitch so far 20200117_152834.jpg ..its a little better wired , maybe a tad more resolution showing through and more depth but don't want to take anything away from the bluetooth which is very good indeed.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #551 of 3,670
@majo123 I agree with your findings, lets see in a few weeks, after new gear syndrome has worn off, :) but I don't think the BTR5 can be beaten for portability and features, especially when the cost is added to the equation.

Agreed give it some time.... but i also too feel you cant beat this for the money, I thought the mo was an excellent bang for buck but this tops it by far.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #552 of 3,670
Bought mine from Hifigo a few days ago, it will be probably here in the next week. Looking forward to it. Maybe I end up buying some balanced cables for the HD600 if the power of the single ended output is not enough.
Will report back, once I have it. I trust Fiio as the bluetooth implementation of the Q5s has been very solid.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #553 of 3,670
Bought mine from Hifigo a few days ago, it will be probably here in the next week. Looking forward to it. Maybe I end up buying some balanced cables for the HD600 if the power of the single ended output is not enough.
Will report back, once I have it. I trust Fiio as the bluetooth implementation of the Q5s has been very solid.
I found BT on my BTR3 poor but excellent on my BTR5.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #554 of 3,670
Mine has arrived today.
Bluetooth on LDAC Best effort works like a charm.
Paired it with my PM-3 balanced it sounds nice.
Have to take some serious listening time tomorrow.
From the short time, there isn't much difference between Btr5 and V30 in high gain.
Maybe a slightly advantage to the V30 in sound quality.
The BTR5 is going brighter much faster on higher volumes, i think.
Will chime in after my listening session again.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #555 of 3,670
I really like the BTR5 for it's convenience. It is perfect for watching TV without disturbing my girlfriend. Sound quality wise it is good but it can't compete with my Dragonfly Cobalt.

The Cobalt sounds much more transparent and three dimensional. Have been mainly listening on Andromeda SS using LDAC with the BTR5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back