[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #3,496 of 3,707
Been having problem with BTR15 and MQA. Even after this weeks updates problem still there. Connected to phone via usb (EQ off) when on shuffle and it comes to MQA track it gives loud click and then no sound. Using Fiio app (with MQA addon purchased). Weirdly, app does not let me skip to next track..When i try it just crashes the app (Fiio app is no longer working) and I have to close and reopen app and unplug and replug usb.

Have contacted Fiio via their forum and email but no luck. Thing is useless to me as is.....
Despite updating both BTR15 and XMOS firmwares issue persists. I have sent video showing this where when moving from 16 bit flac track to an MQA track the sound shuts off and Fiio app crashes. They are not being overly helpful.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #3,497 of 3,707
Has anyone been able to use the BTR15 connected as USB DAC to a Sony Walkman NW-A45? Every time I connect it shows PCM 44.1K and then the screen switches back to the Phone Mode screen. Which mode should I use for Sony Players, PC Mode or Phone Mode? The Walkman works fine with a FIIO Q3-MQA but not with this new BTR15. The only way I can connect it is in Bluetooth Mode which works well using LDAC. Not sure if it is an issue with UAC 2.0 or UAC 1.0

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #3,498 of 3,707
Has anyone been able to use the BTR15 connected as USB DAC to a Sony Walkman NW-A45? Every time I connect it shows PCM 44.1K and then the screen switches back to the Phone Mode screen. Which mode should I use for Sony Players, PC Mode or Phone Mode? The Walkman works fine with a FIIO Q3-MQA but not with this new BTR15. The only way I can connect it is in Bluetooth Mode which works well using LDAC. Not sure if it is an issue with UAC 2.0 or UAC 1.0
Finally, I found the UAC settings on the menu. Now it works, sort of....music now has crackle and pops, a song that is 192Khz/24bit shows as PCM 96K, but sounds horrible. Firmware is v3.5

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #3,500 of 3,707
got my BTR15 today, updated to latest firmware so far so good. the manual tells me there should be 3 gain level, but i only have 2 H and L. is that an error in the manual?

Also the BTR15 is the brightest of any of my dac/amps. I wonder if the BTR7 has less emphasis on the treble?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #3,501 of 3,707
Hello, there is still the problem of low gain that when you turn on the device it sounds as if it were in high gain mode, having to access the menu and set it to low gain again.
Same problem here. I already reported it weeks ago (and many other reported it too). I really hope it will be fixed in the next update because it's really frustrating and potentially dangerous for the IEMs.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #3,502 of 3,707
Same problem here. I already reported it weeks ago (and many other reported it too). I really hope it will be fixed in the next update because it's really frustrating and potentially dangerous for the IEMs.
Yes, it is a serious bug that has not been solved with the recent firmware update.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #3,503 of 3,707
Hello, there is still the problem of low gain that when you turn on the device it sounds as if it were in high gain mode, having to access the menu and set it to low gain again.
Dear friend,

We have reported to the engineer for checking about that. But we are sorry that we fail to reproduce this problem currently.
If you are convenient, please share more details with us so we could locate and solve the issue faster. For example, which input mode? EQ on or not?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #3,504 of 3,707
got my BTR15 today, updated to latest firmware so far so good. the manual tells me there should be 3 gain level, but i only have 2 H and L. is that an error in the manual?

Also the BTR15 is the brightest of any of my dac/amps. I wonder if the BTR7 has less emphasis on the treble?
Dear friend,

May I know which manual tells you there should be 3 gains for BTR15? I failed to find it in the user manual. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #3,506 of 3,707
I have been using the BTR5 for the past 2-3 years. Since purchase, I've been acquiring all my cables in 2.5mm balanced format. I am now looking for an upgrade / refresh but both BTR7 and BTR15 only come in 3.5 SE and 4.4 balanced. I know the Q7 comes in all 3 output formats, but it's a little large for my use. Or I can always use a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter, which will involve a fair amount of plugging and unplugging. Is Fiio planning to bring out any BTR size bluetooth DAC Amp with all 3 output types?

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #3,507 of 3,707
Dear friend,

We have reported to the engineer for checking about that. But we are sorry that we fail to reproduce this problem currently.
If you are convenient, please share more details with us so we could locate and solve the issue faster. For example, which input mode? EQ on or not?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Hi, my settings are on bluetooth mode, low gain, hybrid filter, dual dac deactivated, no equalizer, 3.5 output and aptx adaptive codec by default when paired with the phone under Android OS.
The bluetooth codecs selected on fiio control app are aptx adaptive & AAC.
Thanks & Greetings

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #3,508 of 3,707
Dear friend,

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
The problem only occur when the BTR15 is turned off for long periods of time (6-8h) for me it only happen when I close the computer for the night and restart it the day after. The BTR15 will show the L that indicate that the low gain profile is active, but it will work instead in high gain. Switching from low gain to high gain will result in no change, cause the BTR15 was effectively working on high gain, at this point switching from high gain to low gain will solve the problem and the device will finally set (this time for real) to low gain.

I use the BTR15 in PC mode, EQ off, 2.0 input, Charge protection On, and I installed both the latest firmware updates correctly.

I also think the "time factor" (the fact that the problem present itself only if the BTR15 is turned off for long period of time) could be the key factor in solving the problem. Cause like I said previously, turning off and restarting the BTR15 immediately or after little amount of time has passed, does not seem to cause the gain mismatch problem.

Also, if for you (users) the problem present itself in the same way as I described above, please like this post so that we can get a rough esteem of how many of us (on this forum at least) have the same problem.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #3,509 of 3,707
I have been using the BTR5 for the past 2-3 years. Since purchase, I've been acquiring all my cables in 2.5mm balanced format. I am now looking for an upgrade / refresh but both BTR7 and BTR15 only come in 3.5 SE and 4.4 balanced. I know the Q7 comes in all 3 output formats, but it's a little large for my use. Or I can always use a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter, which will involve a fair amount of plugging and unplugging. Is Fiio planning to bring out any BTR size bluetooth DAC Amp with all 3 output types?
I upgraded my BTR5 exclusively because I kept breaking the 2.5mm jacks :tired_face: so I switched to 4.4mm jack cables and 4.4mm to 2.5mm short cables which work much better than solid adapters IMO. like this in your case: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005570274817.html

Attachments

• OKCSC-HiFi-Balance-Audio-Cable-2-5mm-Male-to-4-4mm-Female-Balanced-Plug-Stereo-Cable.jpg
    OKCSC-HiFi-Balance-Audio-Cable-2-5mm-Male-to-4-4mm-Female-Balanced-Plug-Stereo-Cable.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #3,510 of 3,707
The problem only occur when the BTR15 is turned off for long periods of time (6-8h) for me it only happen when I close the computer for the night and restart it the day after. The BTR15 will show the L that indicate that the low gain profile is active, but it will work instead in high gain. Switching from low gain to high gain will result in no change, cause the BTR15 was effectively working on high gain, at this point switching from high gain to low gain will solve the problem and the device will finally set (this time for real) to low gain.

I use the BTR15 in PC mode, EQ off, 2.0 input, Charge protection On, and I installed both the latest firmware updates correctly.

I also think the "time factor" (the fact that the problem present itself only if the BTR15 is turned off for long period of time) could be the key factor in solving the problem. Cause like I said previously, turning off and restarting the BTR15 immediately or after little amount of time has passed, does not seem to cause the gain mismatch problem.

Also, if for you (users) the problem present itself in the same way as I described above, please like this post so that we can get a rough estime of how many of us (on this forum at least) have the same problem.
Hi, now that you say about the off time etc etc, I have to say that I use the BTR15 continuously per day (7 hours on average) until the battery runs out. I let it charge fully and use it again the next day. This is my daily routine with the device. I hope to be helpful. Greetings!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back