[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #2,462 of 3,679
Hello
Just got a BTR5 and i'm wondering if everyone has an issue with bad bt stability.

I get constant cutouts unless the devices are rather close to each other (phone and btr5) and not in motion. Whenever I try to go outside, and keep my btr5 in the right pocket and the phone in the left pocket (and viceversa, lol), I get CONSTANT cutouts, unlistenable. Same thing happens if I move past 3 meters from the device, especially in another room.

I'm using it with my Xperia 1 mark2 via LDAC with priority on signal stability, but even if I force it on APTX HD/APTX, it's mostly the same. I have to mention that I've used my phone with a ton of bluetooth headphones/adapters and speakers and I never experience cutouts. the BTR5 is also updated to the latest version.

Is this normal -does the BTR5 have horrible signal strength? Or is my device a "lemon" ?
are other bluetooth devices around you that are paired to your phone or BTR on? If so try turning their bluetooth off. I get way better reception than you are, but I do sometimes notice breakup or static when another paired device is on.

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #2,463 of 3,679
are other bluetooth devices around you that are paired to your phone or BTR on? If so try turning their bluetooth off. I get way better reception than you are, but I do sometimes notice breakup or static when another paired device is on.

Nope, no other BT devices. The only BT device I ever use in the house is one pair of BT headphones/adapter, paired to either my phone or laptop. As stated before, I've used a multitude of BT devices with my phone, no issues. Right now I'm actually using fiio's UTWS3 bt adapter, no issues. I've had sony's LDAC bt headphones - no cutouts. So I can safely say I eliminated interference, codec issues, or my phone. The biggest issue is on the go, I find it incredible that if i keep the btr5 and phone in separate pockets, the cutouts are MASSIVE. I basically need to keep them both next to each other in the same pocket to get a cutout-free experience.

Anyone else has issues, especially when using on the go (not in the car, but rather when walking around/running/doing sports) ?

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #2,464 of 3,679
Nope, no other BT devices. The only BT device I ever use in the house is one pair of BT headphones/adapter, paired to either my phone or laptop. As stated before, I've used a multitude of BT devices with my phone, no issues. Right now I'm actually using fiio's UTWS3 bt adapter, no issues. I've had sony's LDAC bt headphones - no cutouts. So I can safely say I eliminated interference, codec issues, or my phone. The biggest issue is on the go, I find it incredible that if i keep the btr5 and phone in separate pockets, the cutouts are MASSIVE. I basically need to keep them both next to each other in the same pocket to get a cutout-free experience.

Anyone else has issues, especially when using on the go (not in the car, but rather when walking around/running/doing sports) ?
Hi @BenKatz. One thing that I have found is that one's body can diminish signal / BT range quite a lot. If I clip the BTR5 on my shirt and walk upstairs with the source downstairs, it cuts out while walking, stabilizes when I stop. However, if I hold the BTR5 in my hand while walking up stairs, not flush against my body, NO cutouts. I suspect there is less blocking the receiving antenna when in hand versus clipped against chest or in a pocket.

Bottom line: I love this device, sound is superb, and with a little trial and error mine is now usable in most situations without many cutouts, I don't exercise with it, but if I did I'd either keep in same pocket as source or try an arm sleeve that holds the BTR5 away from your body a bit. If all else fails, perhaps return for a replacement unit on possibility it is a lemon after all..

Good luck!

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,466 of 3,679
Hi @BenKatz. One thing that I have found is that one's body can diminish signal / BT range quite a lot. If I clip the BTR5 on my shirt and walk upstairs with the source downstairs, it cuts out while walking, stabilizes when I stop. However, if I hold the BTR5 in my hand while walking up stairs, not flush against my body, NO cutouts. I suspect there is less blocking the receiving antenna when in hand versus clipped against chest or in a pocket.

Bottom line: I love this device, sound is superb, and with a little trial and error mine is now usable in most situations without many cutouts, I don't exercise with it, but if I did I'd either keep in same pocket as source or try an arm sleeve that holds the BTR5 away from your body a bit. If all else fails, perhaps return for a replacement unit on possibility it is a lemon after all..

Good luck!

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,467 of 3,679

Good luck!
I have uBTR, BTR3K, and BTR5. It seems counter-intuitive to me, but the top-of-the range BTR5 has the worst BT reception of the three (although it is ahead in other areas).

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,468 of 3,679
Is this still the best bang for your buck feature/price/performance portable amp/dac/BT reciever?

I think you would have to include the Qudelix 5K in that discussion.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #2,470 of 3,679
BTR5 supports DSD256. DSD128 is my preferred "go to" mode. Qudelix 5K USB DAC doesn't support DSD. at all.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #2,471 of 3,679
do you have personal experience? been contemplating picking up the BTR5. The 5k is now on my radar.

Yes, I have and use both. I wasn't trying to influence you either way. I just thought you should know that the 5K exists and is well regarded. There are threads for both in the forum to research, of course. Your specific needs should help you decide which is best for you. They are both excellent for the price and features.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #2,473 of 3,679
I've recently bought the BTR5. In USB mode I am only getting just over 3 and a half hours of battery life, this is at low gain and around 11-13 on the volume. Surely this is not nornmal?
No, it is not.

Normal is 6-8 hours.

Though are you using the balanced (where it says bal. on the top of the unit) headphone output ? If so it will have less battery life compared to single ended (the other one).

Other than replacing the battery there is not much you can do i think..... Using bluetooth with codec that transfers less data (aptX uses less, LDAC most) might improve the battery life, though i am sure the device sounds better wired, so.....use the single ended headphone output or change the battery i think.

The others might give you better advice, this is just my opinion.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,474 of 3,679
I am indeed using it in balanced. I have noticed that the battery life is much better via bluetooth, which I didn't expect. I think I would've preferred for the unit to bit a little bit bigger, but with a better battry life.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,475 of 3,679
I am indeed using it in balanced. I have noticed that the battery life is much better via bluetooth, which I didn't expect. I think I would've preferred for the unit to bit a little bit bigger, but with a better battry life.
In balanced it uses both DACs so it should use more power as well... Can you understand differences between balanced and unbalanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back