[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #136 of 3,678
I just realised how the bad the new design of the BTR5.

Why the hell you double glass it's body then force us to use that ugly case (which will turn yellow within weeks) to protect it?

Switching from metal to glass just to have better looks then you force the users to use that big and ugly case?! what's the point?

There is no clip with the BTR5, if you want one you have to use that case (again thanks to the double glass design)

Big, chunky, yellow and ugly, all can can be avoided if you sticked with the back metal build.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #137 of 3,678

Why the hell you double glass it's body then force us to use that ugly case (which will turn yellow within weeks) to protect it?

Switching from metal to glass just to have better looks then you force the users to use that big and ugly case?! what's the point?

There is no clip with the BTR5, if you want one you have to use that case (again thanks to the double glass design)

Big, chunky, yellow and ugly, all can can be avoided if you sticked with the back metal build.

Removing the clip from the device is a good thing. I was annoyed by the clip on the btr3 and it also broke off at one side. So I like this new way of the m5 and btr5.

However, I do not like the price

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #139 of 3,678
Removing the clip from the device is a good thing. I was annoyed by the clip on the btr3 and it also broke off at one side. So I like this new way of the m5 and btr5.

However, I do not like the price

How do you use a Bluetooth DAC?

I clip it to my upper body clothes and I need it to be elegant and minimalistic (because it's literally hanging in there as a part of my appearance).

The BTR5 is already bigger than the BTR3 so adding an ugly yellow case is a deal breaker to me, I can't walk around with that yellow ugly thing attached on my chest.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #140 of 3,678

I assumed when you say 'switching from metal to glass', you might be referring to BTR3? Actually, while the clip itself is metal, the back plate of BTR3 is plastic. The reason of using plastic and not metal in that case probably has to do with the fact that metal will interfere with BT wireless signal - the more metal you have in the housing, the less wireless signal you will get. So even if FiiO doesn't use a glass back plate, it will still have to be plastic of some kind as this has less to do with aesthetic and more to do with wireless range. This is the same reason why many smartphone these days too have front and back glass panel instead of a full metal body.

I don't personally mind a plastic back plate with the shirt clip built into the body, but I think FiiO might be concerned about the complaints that they received from some BTR3 user where they break the shirt clip (which won't likely get cover by warranty). A removable shirt clip, while bulky, offer the ability of easy replacement. One thing I do want to applaud of BTR5's shirt clip design is that it is an symmetrical design - you can put the BTR5 into the shirt clip upside-down or front-to-back (assuming you don't need to look at the OLED) and it will still work. Can't say the same for Shanling UP4, which can only be put in its shirt clip one way.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #142 of 3,678
I just jam it in the pocket of my jeans. I use it very rough as it is an every day item. I cannot treat it likes it is made out of sugar.

Also the clip is transparent and not yellow.

It will turn yellow within 2-3 weeks.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #144 of 3,678
I have my one for a month now and it is still crystal clear. You don't know what type of plastic it is made of. It's not one of those cheap rubber/silicon phone cases that turns yellow after couple of weeks. I have both Btr3 and Btr5, and design of Btr5 is excellent. The good thing about removable clip is that if you brake it, you can just get replacement without sending the whole unit for repair.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #147 of 3,678
I think we can universally agree software EQ degrades SQ on a technical standpoint as far as mobile devices are concerned. So the best we can do is to start with great hardware that doesn't need much, if any software EQ to begin with, and only resolve to EQ as the necessary evil to better suit individual taste. Never a bad thing for having more options, as long as it doesn't affect the fundamental.
I agree that having more options is a good thing.
Not all phones or other sources have an EQ.
I was under the impression EQ would/could negatively impact sound quality but on my three ES100s I use the EQ and can not detect a negative impact.

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #148 of 3,678
I was under the impression EQ would/could negatively impact sound quality but on my three ES100s I use the EQ and can not detect a negative impact.

If the EQ is implemented well and you use it tastefully (for whatever your value of "tastefully" is : ) then there should be no problem.

I think a lot of issues arise from people not knowing how to use the EQ -- which is understandable, because most EQs are not that user-friendly. The ES100 has a really good one, and I also appreciate that it has good settings for avoiding clipping when boosting frequencies. This makes it a lote more intuitive to get the result you want, without having to translate everything into negative adjustments.

Another key piece is that you have to know just frequency ranges you want to target to get the effect you want, or be willing to spend the time to tinker until you find something that works for you. A lot of DSP-type stuff really comes down to, "do you want to spend the time it takes to get the software settings right, or would you rather spend money (and also still some time) chasing perfect hardware synergy." That line will be drawn differently for everyone. For example, if I want a tube amp, I'd rather just use a tube amp than try to emulate a tube sound through DSP. I believe the sound science folks who say it's possible, but none of the tube emulation VSTs I've tried were very pleasant for listening to music with.

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #149 of 3,678
Compared to what. Compared to ES100 and BTR3 is in another league in terms of bulk and weight.
From your comment I assumed you were talking about the size of the clip itself, not comparing it to anything. Btr5 is bigger than es100 or Btr3 that is true. But clip itself is light and slim (I'm talking about Btr5 size now not comparing it to anything). I own both, Btr3 and Btr5. And my first impression was that Btr5 is to big, but now I don't even look back at Btr3. Sound, build quality and overall experience is amazing.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #150 of 3,678

Nope. Already own my BTR5 for almost a month now and no discoloration is detected. I reckon you can get it to turn yellow if you put it under direct sunlight or UV lamp for an hours or two every days for a week or two, but that's not what normal people will do to their BT adapter. Besides, turning yellow doesn't impact SQ, so what's the big deal there?

Apart from discouloring, this case (which is needed to clip on clothes and for me would probably had to be on permanently) adds to the bulk and weight of the adaptor which is already substantially heavier than BTR3.

The clip itself is about 9g, BTR5 with the clip is about 52~53g. I reckon if FiiO designed the clip into the body like they did on BTR3, they might be able to save 3~5g, which isn't going to make BTR5 that much lighter. The only way to really reduce weight is to use full plastic body.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back