FiiO BTA30,Hi-Fi desktop bluetooth receiver&transmitter,RCA/Optical/Coaxial interface
Dec 19, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #226 of 584
Hi,

I am considering buying the Fiio BTA30 Bluetooth transmitter to pair it with my Fiio BTR3K device but before that I would like to know if when paired together (the BTR3K and the BTA30), the BTR3K is able to go in IDLE mode when no sound is playing as it is able to do when connected to my phone. Multiple transmitters I have tried do not have this ability which uses too much battery for a desktop use and I wasn't able to find any information online regarding this.
Currently, using my motherboard's Bluetooth chip, the BTR3K is able to go in IDLE when no sound is playing (or rather, when no application is sending sound) exactly as it does when connected to my phone. Is this possible with the BTA30 too?

Dear friend,

I tested the BTA30 with the BTR3K. You could press the pair button in the BTA30 to stop the music transmission. The BTR3K could enter idle mode at that time. If you would like to play the music again, you would need to press the pair button of the BTA30 again.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #227 of 584
Hi all,

I am running the headphone jack from my Marantz AV receiver to a Oehlbach analog to digital converter. This is capable of 96khz sampling. This then goes over coaxial to the BTA30, transmitting to my Sony 1000-XM4.

Unfortunately, this is over SMB codec, but I want LDAC. I can’t see why this would not be over LDAC.

Can anybody please advise or give some pointers please? So close to getting this working 😂

Note that no sound came through at all using optical from the AD converter to the BTA30.
Thanks,
Nik

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #228 of 584
Dear friend,

I tested the BTA30 with the BTR3K. You could press the pair button in the BTA30 to stop the music transmission. The BTR3K could enter idle mode at that time. If you would like to play the music again, you would need to press the pair button of the BTA30 again.

Best regards
Hello and thanks for your answer,

Does this mean without pressing the button it would not enter IDLE mode automatically if no sound is playing? Is this something that possible with transmitters?
This feature is important for me because otherwise the battery of the BTR3K is not enough for an entire day.

Thanks for your time again.

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #229 of 584
So a quirk I've found with the BTA30 is that it turns off and on whenever switching between modes - has anyone found that sometimes when switching between modes it will turn off and not turn back on?
@FiiO Willson is this a known issue?

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #230 of 584
Hi all,

I am running the headphone jack from my Marantz AV receiver to a Oehlbach analog to digital converter. This is capable of 96khz sampling. This then goes over coaxial to the BTA30, transmitting to my Sony 1000-XM4.

Unfortunately, this is over SMB codec, but I want LDAC. I can’t see why this would not be over LDAC.

Can anybody please advise or give some pointers please? So close to getting this working 😂

Note that no sound came through at all using optical from the AD converter to the BTA30.
Thanks,
Nik
A follow-up: putting the Sony XM-4 headphones into single device only mode opens up another mode which I assume is LDAC. Double pressing the pair button on the BTA now flips between blue and a purplish white. The Sony headphone don’t accept Apt-x so I’m assuming this is white. Is the white light pure white? Or it is more like lilac?
Thanks.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #231 of 584
A follow-up: putting the Sony XM-4 headphones into single device only mode opens up another mode which I assume is LDAC. Double pressing the pair button on the BTA now flips between blue and a purplish white. The Sony headphone don’t accept Apt-x so I’m assuming this is white. Is the white light pure white? Or it is more like lilac?
Thanks.
It has a slight lilac hue to it yes, i cant capture it on camera but I tried for you. It seems the farther away you get , the more you can see a slight purple hue. Definitely in LDAC mode as the others are dark colors.

Attachments

• bta.jpg
    bta.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #232 of 584
can you make this a TX LDAC usb dongle for my mac, and sell it for 50USD?? I don't need the rest, I already have a dac, and I already have a btr5. I do not want to own a 3rd dac, I just want LDAC audio for my 2014 mac, this is a great market, we already have bt RX. 90USD is a lot for the people who only want LDAC on a mac.

Thank you for your attention and feedback for BTA30.
In order to make BTA30 more functional and cover more usage scenarios, we have tried our best to adjust hardware and software architecture . For this reason, it also led to serious delays in the project. Until it goes on the market, we are still optimizing the design to obtain more stable functions.
However, due to the limitation of chip resources, it is impossible to take care of every function. In the end, only most usage scenarios or requirement can be taken into account.
For example, LDAC LIB can support I2S format only, such as transmit from DSP through S/PDIF interface . It's a pity that BTA30's USB DAC decoded and transmit by CSR8675 itself!
We suggest customersl connect computer's optical interface to achieve LDAC transmission, which can achieve high-quality transmission and better compatibility than 48k/16bit.
Please refer to the following diagram about the signal path.
BTA30 diagram.png

Regarding aptX LL cannot be dual-linked, there is not enough ROM space to support this function after implementing bidirectional LDAC, aptX, aptX HD and APP control.

Although the BTA30 is not the most perfect, it is still the most functional and powerful among similar products. The features can match the user's general requirements.
Of course, we will collect your feedback, and try to achieve more situation needs in the next generation or high level products.
Thank you. :beerchug:

I see, so when is BTA40, or 50, coming? spend those 20 cents in more rom, and put the usb path like the other digital imputs, or make it 2x USB, one for digital audio imput, the other just for power, so we can use a clean linear PSU for power.

You can also just make a btr6 that can make usb to LDAC transmitter... better than this thing for the same price and no battery and no display... make this 50$, or make a btr6 that can do all this, AND CALL IT A DAY.

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #233 of 584
Hi, you misunderstand me. I mean optical input to optical output. So I can bypass the unit without having to replug everything. It's a feature I saw on a few much lower performing units on AE with this feature.
Not support optical input to optical output Now:relieved::relieved:

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #235 of 584
So a quirk I've found with the BTA30 is that it turns off and on whenever switching between modes - has anyone found that sometimes when switching between modes it will turn off and not turn back on?
@FiiO Willson is this a known issue?
hi, friend
You are very observant when using the BTA30, which is something I should learn from.
Yes, the product is defined in such a way that every time you switch modes, you need to turn it off and on again.

Hello and thanks for your answer,

Does this mean without pressing the button it would not enter IDLE mode automatically if no sound is playing? Is this something that possible with transmitters?
This feature is important for me because otherwise the battery of the BTR3K is not enough for an entire day.

Thanks for your time again.
Hi
As soon as the BTA30 is connected it will go into playback, you can manually press the pair button to pause playback, that you can achieve IDLE

One thing i must add is that hopefully next model, the TX mode is not place so finely in the middle of the other 2 settings. To get it to land in the mid Its like you have to thread the needle with precision =0 lol.
Hello Friend
You have used it very carefully, thank you for your suggestion!
We have discussed this issue internally and perhaps we can make the select button work better.

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #236 of 584
can you make this a TX LDAC usb dongle for my mac, and sell it for 50USD?? I don't need the rest, I already have a dac, and I already have a btr5. I do not want to own a 3rd dac, I just want LDAC audio for my 2014 mac, this is a great market, we already have bt RX. 90USD is a lot for the people who only want LDAC on a mac.

Hi Lolito,

Any particular reason why you absolutely need to stream over LDAC ?
Except for the satisfaction of knowing that you stream with a higher bitrate or sample rate ?

I'm asking because, as you can read in a previous report, I tried to listen to the same tracks with LDAC and with aptx-HD.
And as I noted, it sounded to me that aptx-HD was slightly better than LDAC despite the theoritical better bit/samplerate.

So maybe you're looking for something specific ?

Asking because FiiO wilson said that they built the device to fit most demands.
Which makes sense...
I wonder if there are a lot of other people looking for just the same features as you'd like.
Would be interesting to know.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #237 of 584
Hi Lolito,

Any particular reason why you absolutely need to stream over LDAC ?
Except for the satisfaction of knowing that you stream with a higher bitrate or sample rate ?

I'm asking because, as you can read in a previous report, I tried to listen to the same tracks with LDAC and with aptx-HD.
And as I noted, it sounded to me that aptx-HD was slightly better than LDAC despite the theoritical better bit/samplerate.

So maybe you're looking for something specific ?

Asking because FiiO wilson said that they built the device to fit most demands.
Which makes sense...
I wonder if there are a lot of other people looking for just the same features as you'd like.
Would be interesting to know.

Regards.

My use scenario is from a macbook. The macbook already sends aptx to my btr5, but that sound quality is just fine, just ok, for youtube it's ok, but it is well below red book. No hi res, at all. I think either aptx HD or LDAC would more than double the "bandwidth" or bitrate. Can easily double it. That would be a decent thing. Not as a cable playing DSD, but if it's just a tiny bit worse than red book, it would be a huge improvement compared with aptx. Aptx is so bad compared to cable, that for music, it's really not worth it. that is why, to give a macbook aptx hd or ldac. What are the btrates of those?

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #238 of 584
My use scenario is from a macbook. The macbook already sends aptx to my btr5, but that sound quality is just fine, just ok, for youtube it's ok, but it is well below red book. No hi res, at all. I think either aptx HD or LDAC would more than double the "bandwidth" or bitrate. Can easily double it. That would be a decent thing. Not as a cable playing DSD, but if it's just a tiny bit worse than red book, it would be a huge improvement compared with aptx. Aptx is so bad compared to cable, that for music, it's really not worth it. that is why, to give a macbook aptx hd or ldac. What are the btrates of those?

Hi,

I understand you point perfectly. I also was in the quest for LDAC to improve aptx-HD.

And I understand the numbers.
Yes LDAC can stream almost hi-res.
But would you honestly be able to tell LDAC apart from aptx-HD in a blind test ?
It is perfectly possible.
But me, today, at my age, would hardly be able to say I'm listening to aptx-HD instead of LDAC.
And as I said, if there is a differnece, it is in favour of aptx-HD to me.

I assume that, besides the bit/sample rate that is transmitted, the quality of the encoding/deconding also has a lot to do.
And to my ears the job is probably better done by aptx-HD than it is by LDAC.
It is a purely personal opinion.
So I will perfectly admit it if you tell me that in properly performed blind test with level matching you can tell for sure (or even with 80% accuracy) what is the codec you're listening to.

Regards.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #239 of 584
It has a slight lilac hue to it yes, i cant capture it on camera but I tried for you. It seems the farther away you get , the more you can see a slight purple hue. Definitely in LDAC mode as the others are dark colors.
Thanks a lot Derek10!! Your image is perfect and the light looks exactly like what I’m seeing.
I see the discussion on MBP to LDAC, and for me, that’s also a need. I would likely be in the camp that could not tell the difference between LDAC and AptX-HD, but my Sony headphones cannot receive AptX, hence my obsession with LDAC.
Thanks again, and thanks to FiiO for the great value product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back