Fiio Andes (E07K) VS. Fiio E17: What's the difference, and how does it sway the amateur audiophile?
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #61 of 76
I just recently found out my HTC DNA supports usb audio and have a decent pair of headphones (V-moda crossfade lp).. was looking for something with dac/amp combo. Would the E07k sound clean? would the E17 be overkill for these cheap headphones?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:
I just recently found out my HTC DNA supports usb audio and have a decent pair of headphones (V-moda crossfade lp).. was looking for something with dac/amp combo. Would the E07k sound clean? would the E17 be overkill for these cheap headphones?

- If you are thinking in just using it with your phone, and you are not planning in upgrading your headphones, I would go with the E07K. It draws less power and the compatibility is usually better.
- If you are planning a future update to dock it in the E09K, or using it with your laptop, desktop computer, or you think you can take advantage of the optic port, then go with the E17.

May 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #64 of 76
Quote:
I've been thinking about a DAC/Amp combo for my new DT770 80ohms but couldn't decide between the E07K or the E17. If I wanted to save money and only needed it for desktop use, would the E07K be the better choice?

Did you bite the bullet and purchase the E07K? I'm using the same headphones and looking at my first amp. Are you happy with your purchase?

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #66 of 76
I presently own both the E07K and the E17. To me the noticeable differences (aside from the additional E17 interfaces) are 1) the higher output power of the E17 2) the E17 is noticeably brighter. If you are using low impedance headphones, the higher power will not matter. On a pair of orthos, the higher power seemed to tighten up the bass.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #67 of 76
The display of the bit depth and sample rate is a pretty useful little feature in the E17. Very good for verifying the details of a suspect file (for example, when I was trying to convert a 24bit/96kHz FLAC over to WAV, and the converter programme kept cheating me by taking it down to 16bit/44.1kHz, the meta-data was lying but the E17 told me the truth). To take advantage of this however you have to use foobar2000 with WASAPI installed and active. Otherwise windows up-samples everything before sending it and you end up with it saying everything is 24bit/96kHz regardless of what it really is. Is this feature so good to buy the E17 just for that? Probably not no. But I enjoy my E17 very much. I can't compare the two as I've never heard the E07K, but the E17 is a great little thing.

P.s a note of caution for anyone buying the E17. You must go into your sound properties in windows and enable 24bit/96kHz to the device, or it will never do it.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #68 of 76
Quote:
Which one (e17 or e07k) has a better sound quality DAC? I just need to line out to an amp; I would be using it with USB (not S/PIDF) from my computer. 

I think they have equal sound quality DAC because they use same DAC chip as Wolfson chip. So if you only use it as a dac i would recommend E07k and save few bucks

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #69 of 76
Quote:
I think they have equal sound quality DAC because they use same DAC chip as Wolfson chip. So if you only use it as a dac i would recommend E07k and save few bucks

That's correct. DAC section on both is identical. Just the Amp section differs slightly.

Cheers,
K

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #70 of 76
which would you guys recommend for the sennheiser hd25(70 ohms), amperior (18ohms)and v moda m80(28.5)? I have in mind Jdslabs cmoy, Fiio's e07k, e11, e12, e17, I will mostly be usidn it for My htc one and my ipad and at home with my macbook pro, thanks.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #71 of 76
Hi! I just got the E07K. I've tested it with a USB signal from my computer, and Klipsch x10i IEM's. There is a small amount of hiss from the device. It's barely noticeable, but definitely there. I also find the sound a bit warm and veiled.

How does this compare to the E17? Will the hiss and veil go away if I upgrade from E07K to E17?

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #72 of 76
Well, I just bought the E17 as well, so that I can compare them myself. The E17 has no hiss at all, so it's better than the E07K in that respect. But sound quality wise, it's really hard to tell any difference. I'm gonna do some more listening tests in the days to follow.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #73 of 76
Just got the E7 myself. Don't have much to compare it to since it's my first amp/dac. I'll be hooking it up Vmoda M80, M100 -> an outdated laptop, old ipod 30gb brick, HTC One & iPhone 5... So I'll throw in my .02 cents of noob level experience later.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #75 of 76
Ok. i am about to buy an e07k or e17. I need help choosing. I will listen on my tablet and using the DAC and AMP for one of the 2 headphones Audio technica ATH700MK2 or Beyer DT770 80. What one should I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back