FiiO AM3D-FiiO Releases the THX AAA Powered Headphone Amplifier Module AM3D
Oct 27, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #421 of 431
Did an Xray of the Q5 with the THX module this morning. I still use it everyday and my second Q5 is still hooked up to my home stereo.

Attachments

• FIIO Q8.jpg
    FIIO Q8.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FIIO Q5.jpg
    FIIO Q5.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #422 of 431
As a DAC I'm sure it still sounds great. I have my original Q5 around somewhere although I haven't been using it for a while. I sold of my Q5S with AM3D though.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #425 of 431
If anyone has a am3d for sale please let me know
You might not want to stress out about not having one. There is a very well known audio testing forum that tested a Q5S with an AM3D module and both showed issues and the AM3D was surprisingly not found to perform as would have been expected. It may be worth looking around the Internet for the forum and read up on how it fared. I owned a Q5S and an AM3D module and most certainly found both to sound very nice, but in reality hitting the level of audible transparency is by far and away the norm for the vast majority of personal audio amps and DACs so do keep that in mind.

What one expects to see for a THXX branded amplifier module is high performance engineering and performance and I will leave it up to your judgement if the AM3D actually hits those targets. I know that I was extremely surprised to see the results of the technical performance analysis of the AM3D.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #426 of 431
You might not want to stress out about not having one. There is a very well known audio testing forum that tested a Q5S with an AM3D module and both showed issues and the AM3D was surprisingly not found to perform as would have been expected. It may be worth looking around the Internet for the forum and read up on how it fared. I owned a Q5S and an AM3D module and most certainly found both to sound very nice, but in reality hitting the level of audible transparency is by far and away the norm for the vast majority of personal audio amps and DACs so do keep that in mind.

What one expects to see for a THXX branded amplifier module is high performance engineering and performance and I will leave it up to your judgement if the AM3D actually hits those targets. I know that I was extremely surprised to see the results of the technical performance analysis of the AM3D.
Thanks for the response, I mostly wanted the module to be able to use the 4.4mm socket so if it performs as good as the AM3 I'll be happy

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #427 of 431
Thanks for the response, I mostly wanted the module to be able to use the 4.4mm socket so if it performs as good as the AM3 I'll be happy
The stock module that comes with the Q5S has the 4.4mm jack. If I am remembering correctly. I haven't used my Q5 in quite some time.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #428 of 431

@tjdub @Sonic Defender setting other sites measurements results aside I must say that the moment I've installed AM3D into my Fiio Q5s I've never switched back (except for one short time for comparison with stock amp module again). Honestly speaking this should be sold not as add-on but at default amp module with Q5s IMHO. Great synergy with Audeze LCD-1.

Completely another matter is that when I travel, and I've been traveling for last few weeks I'm taking Chord Mojo and not Fiio Q5s with me. In fact it recently collects more dust than it is used. Even with LCD-1 the sound while clear is too sterile and lifeless for me. So much about technical specs vs real life evaluation :wink:

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #429 of 431
@tjdub @Sonic Defender setting other sites measurements results aside I must say that the moment I've installed AM3D into my Fiio Q5s I've never switched back (except for one short time for comparison with stock amp module again). Honestly speaking this should be sold not as add-on but at default amp module with Q5s IMHO. Great synergy with Audeze LCD-1.

Completely another matter is that when I travel, and I've been traveling for last few weeks I'm taking Chord Mojo and not Fiio Q5s with me. In fact it recently collects more dust than it is used. Even with LCD-1 the sound while clear is too sterile and lifeless for me. So much about technical specs vs real life evaluation :wink:
Really old post to revive I know, but curious if you still have the LCD-1 and what you think of it?

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #430 of 431
Really old post to revive I know, but curious if you still have the LCD-1 and what you think of it?
@Sonic Defender I still have both Fiio and LCD-1 but a different pair. Audeze manage to manufacture nice headphones with flaw in design and quality control. The problem with LCD-1 is that they are cracking right above drivers mounts. Check out LCD-1 thread. That happened to me too unfortunately and I've went with another pair. The second pair sounds different from the first one - so much about quality control.

So first of all it is a random game: you never know how LCD-1 will really sound and secondly I still think it is a great pairing. I've been testing the second pair with Mytek THX AAA Headamp too, but still preferred Fiio. Wish some other manufacturer used the idea of LCD-1 and did something similar but with better quality. Those could be great headphones at that price level unfortunately they are quite expensive for broken product and out of production (probably due to those flaws). However I really loved their sound signature.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #431 of 431
@alekc thanks very much. I will give this pairing a listen. I still have my original Q5, but with the stock amp module that came with the Q5s which I sold along with the AM3D module that I had switched it to. Hopefully the LCD-1 set I have doesn't suffer from that flaw (although I am selling it on behalf of a friend). Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back