Fiio A3 good for music & gaming?
Jan 11, 2019 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TeaLyPeeLy

New Head-Fier
I just need something decent enough to listen to music with my HD600s anywhere I go. The Galaxy S9 can drive it decently, but I still want a better musical experience. I listen to progressive rock, post-hardcore, grunge etc. My sound card is the Realtek ALC3246 if that's needed. If there's a better option I'd like to know as well. My budget is ~70. Thanks in advance!

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 3
I would suggest u save some more and go for JDS labs Atom for 100$. It will give more than enough juice to ur HD600s and will be a bit more future proof. It has ~4 times the power of the Fiio A3 and is newer. If u r looking for something portable then u can look at Fiio A5 as well.
Another thing I'd suggest is definitely save up for a decent dac. The Realtek onboard dac won't give u a quality sound. There will definitely be noises and other distortion due to its proximity to other electrical components on the motherboard and the dac is nothing special in itself.
For now u can just get the amplifier, connect it to the line-out/headphone-out and that alone should improve things dramatically. I'm guessing the amp connect to ur Galaxy S9 is going to give the best sound possible without a dedicated dac. The official power figures are :-
Fiio A3 : 270mW @32 ohms 60$
Fiio A5 : 800mW @32 ohms 130$
JDS Atom : 1000mW @32 ohms 100$

Keep in mind though that only the Fiio's are portable while JDS Labs atom is not afaik.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 3
When it comes to driving a high impedance headphone, available voltage is quite important.

Galaxy S9 is capable of around 2Vp-p
FiiO A3 is capable of more than 8Vp-p

I've used my former HD600 and current HD650 with FiiO A3 many times.
FiiO A3 is clean sounding, compact and powerful so it works very well and it's a quite affordable device.
FiiO A5 is even better, especially when paired with a high quality DAC/DAP but it's also a tad more expensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back