Fighters anyone?
Nov 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:
@ru57y:
Kouryu.... ;p
Nowhere as bad as Magaki from KOF XI though.
Last Blade had an interesting system with that Speed/Power/Extreme thing. I really wish SNK would make a sequel, or more likely a spiritual successor since LB2 wrapped up the story pretty well. But I think they've somewhat forgotten about it. At least SNK is doing something about a Garou sequel... what ever happened to that anyway?

Yuki - my NGCD version was all i played for months :D loved the music.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 69
Thanks to PSN+, I got a hold of SSF4AE2012! I'm not used to SF, but it's a ton of fun with Fei. These links are killing me though >_> Since the game doesn't explain things at all, is there anything that might help me learn the mechanics?

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:
Thanks to PSN+, I got a hold of SSF4AE2012! I'm not used to SF, but it's a ton of fun with Fei. These links are killing me though >_> Since the game doesn't explain things at all, is there anything that might help me learn the mechanics?

Play more than you think is humanly safe, 

Accept defeat. It will happen. 

Learn EVERY move for your favourite character and perfect them. 

Go online, accept defeat more

(time passes) 

Accept fewer defeats

(More time passes )

you will now be able to beat low level opponents. 

Give up and play DOA. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #34 of 69
I had an Xbox but it broke, fighters are my favorite genre (even though I don't like gaming that much) I played SC IV and IV, and my favorite was MK. Now I have a PS3 and only have MK, on the Wii I love Smash Brothers Brawl, my favorite fighter of all time (if it counts as one) 
beyersmile.png

Cheers!

Diego

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #35 of 69
Since I got a PS3 recently, I decided to pick up Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown while it was on sale and try getting into that, skill gap be damned (since the only people who really play VF here in the West are dedicated fans who mop the floor with everyone else).

I'm gradually getting used to its input demands, but I'm really wishing my TvC sticks were modded with MC Cthulhu boards or something that'll let me use 'em on the PS3 right about now.

As for other fighting games, it's rather convenient that SSFIVAE and KoF XIII are part of the free PS+ game list right now, though I'd rather play the former on PC.

And, finally, if I can figure out DOSBox online networking with my friends, I wanna give some One Must Fall 2097 netplay a shot.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #36 of 69
Personally, fighters are my favorite video game genre.  I own all of the fighters this gen (except DOA5 and SSBB).  Right now I am practicing alot of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and playing Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend.  Funny thing is that most of the time I enjoy listening to music is in training mode while practicing fighting games.  Thats also how I got interested in headphones and everything else.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 69
I got DOA5 a couple weeks ago, been having fun with that, it's a fun one.

My fav fighting series has always been King of Fighters, love XIII. The Dreamcast for me has the best line-up of fighting games ever released, great stuff there, Third Strike, Garou, etc.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #38 of 69
Here's the funny thing about dreamcast fighters, SSF2T, MvC2 and CvS2 are the only arcade perfect ports on that system.  3S on dreamcast was on rev. A ( meaning no unblockables), had input lag issues on top of speed issues.  Garou on dreamcast has sound issues and speed problems.  I still have mine and use it to play SSF2T on it, but I don't have an arcade stick for it anymore.  I just play Super Turbo on emulator or classic mode on HD Remix.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #40 of 69
Used to play a few fighters here and there. I played most of the Soul Calibur series, from 2 to 5. Was reasonably competitive in 3 and 4. I always really like the SC series for a few months but then very quickly the art style as well as a few core mechanics turn me off. In 5 it was the removal of stepguard - I'm a pretty movement-heavy player and risking punishment every time you backstep is ridiculous. The whole point of footsies is that you need to bait your opponent to get them to open up; now it's so easy to just run in and block that to some extent it bypasses the best part of the game. I still enjoyed it for a bit, but then I got tired of it.

Played SF4 for a bit too; as a piano player pianoing inputs is pretty easy, so I played Honda, Blanka, and Gen. I loved Gen in vanilla SF4 but then Super happened, and, well, if you know anything about Street Fighter, you'll guess just how mad I was after the Gen nerfs. I played Honda for a bit in super, and then quit. I should probably get back into it since Gen's actually pretty good now, but still the fun hands loops stuff is gone. Also I have no-one to play with locally now and the netcode in SF4 drives me up the wall.

I played a little bit of Blazblue since Hakumen fits me so perfectly (downback for life!), but that game makes me salty to no end.

Not playing any fighters at the moment though, just not enough time.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #42 of 69
Hi head-fi.  Kinda new here just figured I'd post in this thread since it serves a lot of relevance to me.  

I've been playing competitive fighting games since forever.  I even have a little arcade type setup in my house :).  I don't post much anymore in Fighting game forums much anymore.

As of now, Tekken Tag 2 is definitely HANDS DOWN the best netcode out of any fighter currently available with Soul Calibur 5, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, and Persona 4 Arena trailing right behind.  SSF4 still seems to be the main stream game, but I don't really enjoy that game much anymore these days.  I actually really enjoyed Street Fighter X Tekken instead, but seemed like most people didn't.  I played a lot of Capcom vs SNK 2 in my prime, and SFxT reminded me a lot of it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #43 of 69
I really enjoyed SFxT too, but the ridiculous on-disc DLC, stupid gem system and general pricing of it all turned me off. It's too bad, because otherwise it's a great game. I like a very fundamental game with no artificial comeback mechanics, and SFxT is definitely all that, and more. I think the negative reaction to it was totally overblown by the stream monsters, and there are lots of SFxT fans out there.

I may mess around it some more when ver 2013 hits, if it hasn't already (I don't really follow the game much).

I've got a bunch of arcade sticks lying around the house too :xf_eek: all gathering dust now...

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:
I really enjoyed SFxT too, but the ridiculous on-disc DLC, stupid gem system and general pricing of it all turned me off. It's too bad, because otherwise it's a great game. I like a very fundamental game with no artificial comeback mechanics, and SFxT is definitely all that, and more. I think the negative reaction to it was totally overblown by the stream monsters, and there are lots of SFxT fans out there.

I may mess around it some more when ver 2013 hits, if it hasn't already (I don't really follow the game much).

I've got a bunch of arcade sticks lying around the house too
redface.gif
all gathering dust now...

Yeah, I believe the whole on-disc DLC ended up killing the game before it even got off the ground.  Capcom really messed up.  On the flip side, Namco had on-disc DLC as well with TTT2, except that everything is absolutely free.  It was released in packages every month after the game came out.  They did such a great job with that game.  I feel like SFxT really hurt the Tekken franchise more than anything.

It's too bad, most of these fighters have too many come back mechanics.  That's the one thing that really turned me off about SF4.  I'd be beating someone and all of a sudden had to play super cautious otherwise I could end up losing, even after beating the guy up for the majority of the round.  It's just too easy to throw out some random reversal and FADC...  If the reversal hit, the fadc serves as a free ultra... if the reversal is blocked, the fadc serves as an advantageous mix up between another attack or a throw...  It was just too safe of a mechanic and really infuriated me.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #45 of 69
Agreed. If they lowered the frame advantage after an FADC on block, then at least you'll have a reverse mixup which is not as powerful. Otherwise you're basically taking decision-making out of the game. And while having more comebacks in tournaments is more hype at first, if you make those comebacks too easy you devalue them and they stop being so interesting.

Still, on the whole I do agree with their stance that fighting games need to be more accessible if they intend to stay popular. The age of people spending 6 months to learn to move in Quake properly are generally over, people don't have that kind of patience and dedication. You need to give newcomers a sense that they still have at least some chance or they'll get frustrated and quit.

I think it kinda relates to the principle of exponential skill for linear gain. A game should have a fairly easy learning curve at first, but then every equal degree of progression afterwards should require exponentially more effort. A very old-school game (let's again use Quake as an example) is more along the lines of exponential skill for exponential gain - a very steep learning curve initially, but once you overcome it you're essentially untouchable by others who haven't done the same.

I think on the whole, SF4 did a pretty good job of balancing skill progression, but then they threw in the comeback mechanics and screwed it all up anyway. SFxT is probably an even better example of good skill progression, and they screwed it up too. Oh, Capcom...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back