Aug 27, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #361 of 384
This thread shall never die! HAR HAR!

Well at least not until the next meet
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #363 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey all,
poo has finished with the diyMod. So if anyone is interested plz let him or myself know so that he can forward it accordingly.

cheers,

Yeah thanks again for the loan man - really awesome of you!

Would prefer if any interested parties can let PK know, then he can pass the message onto me, just so I'm forwarding the gear on to someone he approves of.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #367 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Poo, do you mind posting up a quick impression of the diymod vs imod?

I can try...

I haven't had an iMod for some time now, so any comparison between an RWA iMod and the DIY version would be unfair & misleading. What I can say in relation to the RWA iMod is that I sold it to purchase an iPod Classic, because I could not hear a significant quality difference between the two. If anything, the Classic sounded better to me, but the features of the Classic over the previous generation meant more to me than the insignificant differences in sound quality.

In terms of the DIY vs Classic then, again, I can hear very little difference between the two. I might be able to hear a little more soundstage width from the Classic, but again; to me the difference is insignificant. Any differences that are present, are just that; differences. I would not personally suggest that one device output better quality sound than another, just that there are small differences between them if you strain your ears and mind to hear them - and if you're trying that hard to hear a difference, who knows what you'll hear...

Whilst comparing devices I used a few songs I know well and have listened to for years on various systems. The main thing that jumped out at me during comparison was the first minute or so of 'Eulogy' from Tool's 'Aenima'. I have enjoyed this track since release, and only today noticed a whole world of sound rippling through the undercurrent of the song that I have never noticed before - I was stunned to say the least! This had nothing to do with iPod vs iMOD vs DIY iThingy, but impressed me far more than any part of my comparisons...

This experience served in some respect as a reminder of how the mind really works. It can be difficult at times for your mind to see/hear/smell beyond what it is trained to expect. When you hear a section of music you have heard for years, it is possible for your mind to hear only what it expects to hear, just as it has hundreds of times before - you've unconciously trained your brain.

I should mention that for all comparisons I have used Shure SE530 and Pico.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #368 of 384
Thanks a lot for that impression, makes me wonder though if I've made a mistake by ordering a diymod instead of a classic. I hope that the v-cap dock opens things up, I'll have to put it up against your classic at the next meet.

Cheers

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #369 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for that impression, makes me wonder though if I've made a mistake by ordering a diymod instead of a classic. I hope that the v-cap dock opens things up, I'll have to put it up against your classic at the next meet.

Cheers

For what its worth, when I compared the diyMod to the Classic at the last meet I thought the diyMod was superior. To me it had more realistic tonality and more body to the sound.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #370 of 384
personally, i preferred the classic over the diymod.

diymod sounded too artificial and coloured for my tastes :p

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #371 of 384
is the classic sq not supposed to be inferior to previous pversions?

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #372 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the classic sq not supposed to be inferior to previous pversions?

The current production 6th gen Classic is actually Apple's best work, according to Vinne at Red Wine Audio. He posted information about the output stage and said it was far improved from the 5.5 gen Classic previously, which is one of the reasons he doesnt make 6th gen iMods. There's less to gain by bypassing the stock output stage.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #373 of 384
I guess my main impression/opinion is that the difference (Classic vs DIY) boils down to personal taste, rather than quality. There are differences, but to me they are so insignificant as to be irrelevant. I'm sure others will hear differently to me though, perhaps the 'irrelevant' difference I hear is the huge difference someone else has been striving to find...

I don't think you've done the wrong thing ordering a DIY - if nothing else you get to experience it and decide for yourself - can't beat that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back