FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Jun 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,831 of 3,064

Well, from all of the impressions so far in this thread, does it sound like it might fit your music preferences? Because if so, then you've gotten a stellar deal; I would've taken it if I didn't technically already have a pair. If the sound sig of the A83 fits the music you play, then it does things very right.

I have not yet read the entire thread. Will do though. I mostly play pop and rap. Can't wait till it comes this Wednesday! I will compare it to my A73s... Hopefully it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,832 of 3,064
  I have not yet read the entire thread. Will do though. I mostly play pop and rap. Can't wait till it comes this Wednesday! I will compare it to my A73s... Hopefully it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I think they work well enough for those genres. They are actually very good at many genres, but like most audio gear, works better for some genres than others obviously. I'll warn you though, if you run straight out of something like an iPod Touch (which is what I do), you might get some sibilance on cymbals and other higher vocal notes, at least in my opinion, YMMV. From what I can gather from others, A83 can be a bit more balanced depending on what you run out of plus EQing.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,834 of 3,064
I don't know about IE80, though I had a pair of Westone 4 arrive today.

Don't get me wrong I've owned W4 a few times they're excellent at what they do, mainly being versatile, especially non-fatiguing, smooth, no major faults besides a little too much mid-bass emphasis. Switching back to A83 this afternoon was an eye opener on a performance level. Detail, clarity, separation goes to A83 hands-down, however at the cost of some aggression or a little grainy around the mids. We're talking completely different signatures or tonality. Though I'd go as far to use a frowned-upon word or usually practiced by noobs...

A83 "destroys" W4. (if the signature suits)

Now we've got the destroy part sorted out, If I wanted to listen for extended periods, late at night for example, I'd probably take the Westone. (this is the very reason I bought them)

One thing about A83 is I tend to test higher volume levels, especially extracting vocal tracks, this does cause early fatigue.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,838 of 3,064
Well if it's so superior to Westone 4 I guess it may be as well superior to IE80, even tho it's different sound signature it is technically about the same level. 

How is sub bass (that lowest feel, more than punch) with A83? 
Is there mid bass veil (IE80 has some around ~150 Hz)?

I cannot give frequency estimates, Brooko might. A83 are more lower punch than full sub-bass focused, probably noticeably calmer compared to an IE80. (which I haven't heard). But if you're thinking A83 is bass heavy it's not the case. The low end is rather balanced with the mid range, maybe slightly forward if the track calls it or you're pushing them with an amp (not required imo overall). The mid-range is clean, free from any mid-bass which A83 shows little of really.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,839 of 3,064
I cannot give frequency estimates, @Brooko might. A83 are more lower punch than full sub-bass focused, probably noticeably calmer compared to an IE80. (which I haven't heard). But if you're thinking A83 is bass heavy it's not the case. The low end is rather balanced with the mid range, maybe slightly forward if the track calls it or you're pushing them with an amp (not required imo overall). The mid-range is clean, free from any mid-bass which A83 shows little of really.

I don't like too bass heavy at all, so that's ok, I just like that lowest extension, that feel... if you've heard Sony EX700 or EX1000 for example, not bass heavy but great extension that goes down beyond audible. ( If you heard any of those two Sony how would you compare them with A83? )
But if everything else is great and no mid bass veil (if mid bass doesn't interfere with mids much) A83 might be an upgrade from IE8 / IE80.

If anyone else heard both (IE8 / 80 and A83) brief comparison would be very much appreciated!

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,840 of 3,064
From all that I've read so far they have great sub-bass and no bleed into the mids. IE80 sounds like junk compared to IEMs like these, trust me. Even FX700 crashes IE80 and FX700 is much inferior to Titan 1, for example. A83 is said to be a tiny bit better than Titan 1.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,841 of 3,064
  I don't like too bass heavy at all, so that's ok, I just like that lowest extension, that feel... if you've heard Sony EX700 or EX1000 for example, not bass heavy but great extension that goes down beyond audible. ( If you heard any of those two Sony how would you compare them with A83? )
But if everything else is great and no mid bass veil (if mid bass doesn't interfere with mids much) A83 might be an upgrade from IE8 / IE80.

If anyone else heard both (IE8 / 80 and A83) brief comparison would be very much appreciated!

Long time ago I home auditioned EX1000, any thoughts are vague (I didn't feel the hype from them personally overall)

'EX600' I've owned twice but again, relying on audio memory this far back is totally speculating.

Hopefully, an IE80 owner can help you with an A83 comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back