FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
May 7, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,621 of 3,064
So after 6 months of waiting, I finally got my V-Moda Bliss 3.0 in small. I normally use a medium, so this was hardly ideal. 
Now as for the sound. Compared to the current JVC Spiral Dots, there is no contest. The JVC wins hands down. This could be because of the size. Anyone else here try both tips? which do you prefer?

May 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,622 of 3,064
So after 6 months of waiting, I finally got my V-Moda Bliss 3.0 in small. I normally use a medium, so this was hardly ideal. 
Now as for the sound. Compared to the current JVC Spiral Dots, there is no contest. The JVC wins hands down. This could be because of the size. Anyone else here try both tips? which do you prefer?

I have the Vmoda tips in large, but prefer Spiral Dot tips. (sorry)

Actually, it's probably best not to take anything I say as absolute truth recently. I happily enjoy my Sennheiser HD25 / FiiO X1 combo much as my DX90 / Fidue A83 combo.

Going through some strange phase where I've listened to the HD25 exclusively now for a few days, now all my brighter IEM sound brittle, thin...

(it's happened before with GR07)

May 7, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,623 of 3,064
I hear you. Although I'm still listening to bright cans, I've been enjoying my superlux hd668b for the last week or so and haven't touched any of my better cans. My AKG Q701 would normally be the go to cans for most of my listening but I've been pretty content with the HD668b. 

May 7, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,624 of 3,064
  I hear you. Although I'm still listening to bright cans, I've been enjoying my superlux hd668b for the last week or so and haven't touched any of my better cans. My AKG Q701 would normally be the go to cans for most of my listening but I've been pretty content with the HD668b. 

I used to have a set of those. They're quite good for what they are. I'm planning to do a short comparison of those with my recent Takstar HI2050s, which are very impressive.

I have the Vmoda tips in large, but prefer Spiral Dot tips. (sorry)

Actually, it's probably best not to take anything I say as absolute truth recently. I happily enjoy my Sennheiser HD25 / FiiO X1 combo much as my DX90 / Fidue A83 combo.

Going through some strange phase where I've listened to the HD25 exclusively now for a few days, now all my brighter IEM sound brittle, thin...

(it's happened before with GR07)

Lol, gotta take any of my impressions with a grain of salt as well (seeing as I still don't have a working set back yet haha). I'm wondering how it's gonna sound to me since I've recently been listening to the much darker Cypher Labs C6iem and the relatively flat Earwerkz Supra 2. I felt like before the highs could be a little piercing at times, but I think I might enjoy it's bass response better than either of my current IEMs. I really liked the texture and richness in the A83's bass response. As good (and most punchy and substantial bass I've ever heard in a BA IEM) as the C6's bass response is for an IEM, the dynamic driver still just does a better job with bass in opinion.

May 7, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #1,625 of 3,064
I'm curious aboth the Moon Audio cables. I wil have an iphone 5s, which is said to have a warmer sound than neutral, so I'm wondering whether I'd like the silver dragon or black dragon better. I don't have the fidues yet and it won't be for a while :l, so this is a really early question.

I think that the silver cable is suppose to help timbre and bass tightness, but not really increase bass, from what I've read. The mids become fuller, which is ?omething I'm really looking for. The treble gains some airy-ness, beome smoother and more detalied. Better separation and bigger soundstage is obtained, and you should be put closer to the stage. Old dude said more bass is gained, and I'm curious of whether any warmth is gained.

I can't find much too read about the black dragons though... It is supposed to increase timbre and bass, still becoming tigher. Haven't heard anything about mids being brought forward or becoming fuller, but I suppose they are. Treble is just dooes the same as the silver, but to more of an extent? The tone is lusher and warmer? I'm stetchy about how a cable can create a different tone.

Inaways, I find myself thinking the gr07 classic sounds muddy in comparison to the a900x. I think the a900x is warmer and I do enjoy that, but the iphone is already somewhat warm. Which cable is better for me and the fidue a83? Sorry about not having the fidue a83 right now.

May 7, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,627 of 3,064
A Silver Dragon increases volume by (they claim) +3.  I found I had to turn my Pono down a bit when I used the cable for the first time.  It seems to increase clarity and widen the soundstage somewhat. I don't think I said bass is gained, I think I said clarity is gained.   It costs about $200 for that clarity.

I would suggest going to the Moon Audio site and reading what they say.  You could also Google Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables and see what other folks say.  The Black Dragons cost a bit less and are copper.  Silver supposedly adds a bit more clarity and sparkle (which is not bass in and of itself).  

I use a balanced cable, so the effects of it are different that a single-ended would be (twice the power going through it, for one thing).

If you are thinking about putting a $200 cable on a $200 iPhone, why not take that $200 and buy a DAP instead?  There are some good ones you could get (Fiio X3 ll for example) and they would likely sound (much) better with a Fidue A83 than your iPhone will.  Then see if you still think you need to buy an expensive cable.  

May 7, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,629 of 3,064
Sorry about second post. Someone is using my UNLOCKED iphone while out of country, so I already "have" it. I'm looking to have the convenience of having a phone to play almost all of my music, but I'm also looking at the coming LeTV One Pro 32gb for 400. They advertise it as having a great audio chip, which was helped to be designed by AKG. It's a chinese company, and again, I'm just looking at it in hopes.

May 7, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,630 of 3,064
Yep, me.  

The Fiio X3 is a very good and cost-effective choice, for about $350 you could get a Fiio X5 or an iBasso DX90, for $400 you could get a Pono, for about $600 you could get a Cayin N6.  AK has a new mini coming out.  Lots of choices.  

If your heart is set on a phone, I'd wait on a cable until I had listened to the phone for a while.  

May 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #1,631 of 3,064
I also sure hope that you're able to hear a difference. I personally don't invest in cables for the sound quality cuz my hearing just isn't good enough to discern the difference. I've gotten different cables in the past based on convenience factor, but if there's a difference, I can't really tell. That's just my hearing. Some people can tell the difference though and if you're one of them, I commend you; I'm not envious though cuz I'd spend THAT much more money just buying cables haha
tongue.gif

May 8, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,632 of 3,064

I used to have a set of those. They're quite good for what they are. I'm planning to do a short comparison of those with my recent Takstar HI2050s, which are very impressive.

Lol, gotta take any of my impressions with a grain of salt as well (seeing as I still don't have a working set back yet haha). I'm wondering how it's gonna sound to me since I've recently been listening to the much darker Cypher Labs C6iem and the relatively flat Earwerkz Supra 2. I felt like before the highs could be a little piercing at times, but I think I might enjoy it's bass response better than either of my current IEMs. I really liked the texture and richness in the A83's bass response. As good (and most punchy and substantial bass I've ever heard in a BA IEM) as the C6's bass response is for an IEM, the dynamic driver still just does a better job with bass in opinion.

I've heard Earwerkz Supra on home audition for a week or two. it was a decent IEM, no glaring faults however nothing pushed my buttons to buy one personally. This is why A83 means what it does to me. Its the Fidue which prevents me wanting / needing to upgrade, little like my Rhapsodio RDB Mini did (until A83 replaced it). I've come to conclusion unless I hear something at the same price point that ticks more boxes for my preferences I'll settle at A83 / DX90.

This doesn't mean A83 beats everything I've heard or the 'best' (a word often thrown around loosely). Simply means I've found a happy medium from what I've heard that doesn't bore me easily. Of course, being into the hobby its not my only IEM setup, I have Pono player / ER4S, Aurisonics ASG-2 / Hum Pervasion, but I've sold a large portion of my gear these past months to focus my listening time with these.  Its even obvious to some extent Aurisonics ASG-2 is the more expensive, higher performing hybrid between A83 (and I love it) though it doesn't necessarily mean it ticks the right boxes for my preferences A83 can. 

Btw: The stock A83 cable is already pretty decent (besides the connection issues some report). Its probably only a few IEM that feels like a custom cable comes included stock, and it is silver plated. I don't feel much need to upgrade it personally. 

May 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,633 of 3,064

I've heard Earwerkz Supra on home audition for a week or two. it was a decent IEM, no glaring faults however nothing pushed my buttons to buy one personally. This is why A83 means what it does to me. Its the Fidue which prevents me wanting / needing to upgrade, little like my Rhapsodio RDB Mini did (until A83 replaced it). I've come to conclusion unless I hear something at the same price point that ticks more boxes for my preferences I'll settle at A83 / DX90.

This doesn't mean A83 beats everything I've heard or the 'best' (a word often thrown around loosely). Simply means I've found a happy medium from what I've heard that doesn't bore me easily. Of course, being into the hobby its not my only IEM setup, I have Pono player / ER4S, Aurisonics ASG-2 / Hum Pervasion, but I've sold a large portion of my gear these past months to focus my listening time with these.  Its even obvious to some extent Aurisonics ASG-2 is the more expensive, higher performing hybrid between A83 (and I love it) though it doesn't necessarily mean it ticks the right boxes for my preferences A83 can. 

Btw: The stock A83 cable is already pretty decent (besides the connection issues some report). Its probably only a few IEM that feels like a custom cable comes included stock, and it is silver plated. I don't feel much need to upgrade it personally. 

I do really like the stock A83 cable; my only gripe with it is that it's a straight jack and I prefer right angle jacks. But that's preference so it's not really any sort of drawback. I wouldn't exactly say I'm upgrading from the A83, more like side-grading/expanding experience horizons. Plus, I don't have a working A83 yet, can you blame me?
tongue.gif

I'd say the Supra 2 is flatter in response than the A83. I wouldn't say it does things better or worse than the A83, but it's a different experience and sound signature. The one thing I'd say the Supra 2 has top trumps against the A83 is in isolation since the A83 has a dynamic driver and thus a vent. And also because it's way deeper insertion than the A83 so there's better isolation. Supra 2 is also smaller so it fits my ears better. The sound kinda reminds me of my B3, but actually even flatter and waaaaayyyyy more efficient.

How's the sound sig of the A83 compare to that of the ASG-2? I was looking at it at one point, but the A83 was just a lot more affordable and I figured it would be pretty close in fidelity, or at least as much fidelity as I needed and it seemed like a sound signature I liked; I was right, the A83 worked out pretty well for me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back