FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,172 of 3,064
  I don't think olives will fit without removing the center core.

Thanks, Guizan. I was concerned that would be the case.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,174 of 3,064
They use the Shure (SE) connector.  Any cable with that type of connecter should work.  Use Google to look for cable manufacturers.  Or go on eBay/Amazon.  

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,175 of 3,064
Hi all - I'm a new member, but I've been doing tons of research and reading of these forums and have learned a lot from all the discussions.  I'm somewhat new to the world of higher quality IEM's - having recently acquired a Pono Music player, I've been on a quest for some better headphones to match this great player.  

I thought I wanted the Sennheiser IE80's and actually ordered them, then stumbled upon the Fidue A83 and ordered them - that gave me the great opportunity to compare the two.  Honestly I started off listening to the A83's for a few days before I got the IE80's and just found the IE80's lacking.  They sound good, but just not "audiophile" good - not that I know what that is or can even put my finger on it, just when I pop on the Fidue's it feels like a whole different level.

I still kept questioning myself after reading how great the Westone W30's are - someone even saying they blew away their Fidue's - so I finally broke down and got a pair of them too.  I want to make sure I have something I really want before spending an extra couple of hundred $$'s on a balance cable.

Here's my take on the comparison between the Fidue A83 and the Westone W30's - 

Comparing the A83 and the Westone W30, here's my early thoughts right now (and please, I'm not an Audiophile so this is really just my lame opinion, YMMV) - the W30's are SOOO comfortable, the wire is light and the actual earpiece fit is fantastic.  The sound is really great too, very balanced to me across the spectrum, not too much base, not really too much of anything out of line, very clean.

The Fidue A83's definitely have more base - makes sense with a dynamic driver.  To me it's not too much base.  I would describe the difference as if you added a sub to your home stereo - without the sub, you have the W30's, sounds great, you've got great speakers and you don't really need anything else, but add a sub and suddenly it just all sounds richer.

The other difference I notice I think has to do with the two different types of IEM's - the Westone's, being balanced IEM's provide a better seal and isolation, so to me that seemed to make the stage smaller and more in my head.

The Fidue's, being a Hybrid model, don't seal or isolate quite as much, but to me that makes the stage seem larger and I feel more like the sound is expansive and around me.  Again, I'm not an expert and I'm still pretty new with all of this, but it seems like comparing closed back headphones to open back.

I'm still going to do some more side-by-side comparisons, but if it keeps going the way I'm probably going to move ahead with the Fidue's.  I've done a lot of searching on-line and there really isn't much comparing these at all.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,176 of 3,064
You get a set of Moon Audio Silver Dragon or Black Dragon Balanced cables for the Fidues and you'll have an orchestra in your head.  I can't believe what they did for an already wonderful iem.  

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,178 of 3,064
The Fidue is around $300.  It's equal to iems costing up to $1K (not just my opinion).  The cable is +/- $200.  It puts the iem in an even better place, sound-wise.  The balanced outputs on the Pono makes it much better, and the material of the cable and connectors ramps the iems up even more.  It becomes much more robust while still maintaining its balance and delicacy.  In some ways it makes it more forgiving of more poorly-mastered/mixed material as well.  I found the Pono a bit light in the bass, and this combo gave it some definite testicles while not losing the definition in the upper areas or muddying the mids.  Both the Fidues and the Pono are very very good in their own rights.  Adding the cable makes listening an even more satisfying experience.  

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,179 of 3,064
Yep. I feel absolutely no need to upgrade from Fidue A83 / Shozy Alien pairing. Each time I listen (especially to A83) it makes no sense to spend any larger amount of money going from what I auditioned the last year or so. Something would need to be very special and I'd need to hear it, at home, enough to impress me to purchase. This is why I just kick back playing with mid tier having fun, my RDB Mini and Fidue A83 are enough.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #1,180 of 3,064
Yep.  You don't NEED the fancy cable, I'm sure you could find a much cheaper balanced Pono cable around for $50-70.  I just felt like splurging and the cost/benefit ratio really paid off in this case.  I'd been thinking of buying a CIEM and now I don't think that's necessary.  

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,181 of 3,064
  Yep.  You don't NEED the fancy cable, I'm sure you could find a much cheaper balanced Pono cable around for $50-70.  I just felt like splurging and the cost/benefit ratio really paid off in this case.  I'd been thinking of buying a CIEM and now I don't think that's necessary.  

Well, there is an upgrade I'd consider, I'm not suggesting I'm at the end of the rainbow however, the questions one must ask in relation to diminishing returns, value for money become a high priority in deciding that purchase. if I upgrade I will just purchase Tralucent 1Plus2 and be done with it. It's the only hybrid (it needs to be a hybrid) that impressed me more. Then again, its been a while since I heard it - placing 1Plus2's performance (in thought) alongside A83 is difficult. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,182 of 3,064
Didn't they stop making it and replace it with a newer model?  

I know you like(d) it, as you sure talked about it here and with me in pms.  Certainly, it interested me (except for the money).  

Weren't you going to buy a cable for your A83?  Did you ever do it?

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,183 of 3,064
  Didn't they stop making it and replace it with a newer model?  

I know you like(d) it, as you sure talked about it here and with me in pms.  Certainly, it interested me (except for the money).  

Weren't you going to buy a cable for your A83?  Did you ever do it?

I doubt Gavin would stop making it, (at least I haven't heard anything).I thought about upgrading my A83 cable, it all went out the window once Alien arrived months ago, no need. I tried upgrading A83 with iBasso DX90 (at least to have a screen) but that didn't work out either for me. Goes back to what I said, I'm overly content with the performance right now so just stick with what isn't broken. Maybe when the A83 stock cable gets worn and tired, tends to pick up a lot of body oil (especially around the ears), the materials used.

Anyway, here's a song that achieves goose bump levels with my A83. The famous body rushes. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,185 of 3,064
You mean smaller bore tip? It decreases the perceived soundstage, but emphasizes midrange so you have a more intimate feel with music. However, i find wide bore tips better for instrument separation and wider soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back