FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
May 17, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #1,666 of 3,064
May 17, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,667 of 3,064

I'm a basshead too and am looking for a basshead 3 driver hybrid IEM with lots of detail and instrument separation. Best of both worlds. A83 seems to be just that. And much cheaper than UM PRO 50 that I was planning to buy. Have to seriously consider this option.

Honestly I'm not an acoustic expert at all :)) , but I mainly listen to rap ,so I try hard to find good IEMs with good bass all the time. Anyway, A83 aint a bad choice at all. Certain presentation of bass plus really nice details or maybe people call music instruments' separations. I'm listening Yo gotti Errbody with a83 now :))

May 17, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #1,669 of 3,064
  You want bass, try a Dunu 1000.  Cheaper than the Fidue and it is really full-sounding.  

Hi there, how Dunu 1k compare with turbine cooper? Cause I already feel and enjoy strong and punchy bass of cooper; hence, I'm trying to find something else that has more and different sound stage but doesn't scarify bass. And honestly when I first listen to A83 I feel that there is definitely something be "different" ....of course good differences :)) ;also, Im still happy with its bass. Therefore, if you think Dunu 1k gonna give me same feeling or impressiveness; then, I will certainly try out. Thank you  

May 17, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,670 of 3,064
Has anyone had any problems using aftermarket cables on the a83 at all? I see they have a special notch for the stock cable and am wondering if NOT having this specialty is detrimental to the use of other cables with the a83...

May 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #1,671 of 3,064
Has anyone had any problems using aftermarket cables on the a83 at all? I see they have a special notch for the stock cable and am wondering if NOT having this specialty is detrimental to the use of other cables with the a83...

The notch prevents the stock cable from rotating.  But most cables that are MMCX will work, they will just swivel around.  I've used both the Shure and Moon Audio cables on the A83.

May 17, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,672 of 3,064

The notch prevents the stock cable from rotating.  But most cables that are MMCX will work, they will just swivel around.  I've used both the Shure and Moon Audio cables on the A83.

I've been told the MMCX labeled for Westones might not work, but the ones labeled for Shure will. I dunno, I've only got one labeled for Shures and UE900s and that cable works. I was told that the Westone connectors are a little different in length which is why it might not work.

May 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,673 of 3,064
Shure cables work, as of course do the Moon Audio with the Shure-type connectors.  There's just no "stop" on them, so, as mentioned, they rotate.  The stock Fidue cable is very good and shouldn't need replacing, unless you really want a much-more-expensive silver cable.  

No idea about Turbine Coopers.  The Dunu1K is a class act, very timbre-ful, not a boomy boom iem but certainly bassy-er than the Fidue.  Has less treble extension than the Fidue.  All at a good price.  There should be reviews on Head-Fi of it somewhere.

May 18, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,674 of 3,064
Completely unrelated to the current convo, so feel free to ignore, but bad news guys: I won't have a set of A83s for at least another 2 weeks, probably longer. Michael's told me that he's currently waiting for another shipment of A83s and his US contact who he had me ship my broken ones to is currently out of stock as well
frown.gif
. Fear not, I shall endure through this unfortunate turn of events as I still have means to enjoy my music while out and about.

While the Cypher Labs C6iem is a bit darker and more bass-skewed than I'd hoped for, the Earwerkz Supra 2 has proven to be a good set of IEMs with flat response. What it's helped me with though is that I think I have a better grasp of what I'd like out of an IEM: not flat, but rather almost flat. As in I'd like something that has slightly more oomph in the bass and vocal departments. For example, I love the vocal presentation of the Havi B3 Pro 1 (probably my favorite IEM for vocals). If I could marry that with the A83, mellow out the treble slightly (since to my ears, the A83 has a tendency to get sibilant with some of my music), that'd be perfect. I don't want the the mids or treble to be muted or recessed in any way, just the vocals to be a tiny bit more prominent and a slight elevation in bass. If anyone's got something like that to suggest, I'd certainly consider it.

May 18, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,675 of 3,064
I'm using a Westone Adventure Series cable with inline mic and controls, I had to trim a bit of the rubber around the connector so it would fit flush with the A83's, now they stay connected just fine.  Prior to that, they were easily dislodged due to the rubber "boot" around the connection.

May 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,676 of 3,064
A little off topic, but anyone interested in reviewing the new Fiio X5ii? Check out this thread if you're interested (currently says X3 on the linked post, but it's really the X5).

May 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,677 of 3,064
Completely unrelated to the current convo, so feel free to ignore, but bad news guys: I won't have a set of A83s for at least another 2 weeks, probably longer. Michael's told me that he's currently waiting for another shipment of A83s and his US contact who he had me ship my broken ones to is currently out of stock as well :frowning2: . Fear not, I shall endure through this unfortunate turn of events as I still have means to enjoy my music while out and about.

While the Cypher Labs C6iem is a bit darker and more bass-skewed than I'd hoped for, the Earwerkz Supra 2 has proven to be a good set of IEMs with flat response. What it's helped me with though is that I think I have a better grasp of what I'd like out of an IEM: not flat, but rather almost flat. As in I'd like something that has slightly more oomph in the bass and vocal departments. For example, I love the vocal presentation of the Havi B3 Pro 1 (probably my favorite IEM for vocals). If I could marry that with the A83, mellow out the treble slightly (since to my ears, the A83 has a tendency to get sibilant with some of my music), that'd be perfect. I don't want the the mids or treble to be muted or recessed in any way, just the vocals to be a tiny bit more prominent and a slight elevation in bass. If anyone's got something like that to suggest, I'd certainly consider it.

My only concern with A83 is it can sound a little harsh in the mids, maybe a bit too aggressive. Spiral Dot tips seem to emphasise this for me, very detailed but a little grainy along with it. Luckily it's quite tip sensitive and can be corrected.

A83 treble doesn't bother me, but there's a good chance I sent myself partially deaf dealing with some of T-Peos IEM's. (hot treble). :p

Havi is a fantastic IEM, especially my first set which I sold, the second set I got hold of was overly thin, cold. There was little love second time round.

Edit: I should add, if Fidue are reading this, do not make the mids smoother or laid back, don't change anything! It's a minor (very minor) thing, (they're basically perfect)

May 18, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,678 of 3,064
My only concern with A83 is it can sound a little harsh in the mids, maybe a bit too aggressive. Spiral Dot tips seem to emphasise this for me, very detailed but a little grainy along with it. Luckily it's quite tip sensitive and can be corrected.

A83 treble doesn't bother me, but there's a good chance Ibe sent myself partially deaf dealing with some of T-Peos IEM's. (hot treble).
tongue.gif

Havi is a fantastic IEM, especially my first set which I sold, the second set I got hold off was overly thin, cold. There was little love second time round.

Edit: I should add, if Fidue are reading this, do not make the mids smoother or laid back, don't change anything! It's a minor (very minor) thing, (they're basically perfect)

I was probably a little sensitive to treble at that time too cuz I returned to my first nice set of IEMs (for nostalgia's sake) for a short period, the VSonic GR06, and it's more mid and bass skewed. Then I was on the Havi for a bit again and the vocals were just beautiful. So that all added together might have contributed a little bit, but even during my long-term listening, I felt the treble could've been harsh or sibilant at times.

Don't listen to @H20Fidelity Fidue! Change something! Make a Midgetguy-tuned A83!
tongue.gif
Lol, now that's a niche the market has gone into yet. CIEM based on ear shape is one thing, but CIEMs based on ear shape AND tuned to preference. Tuning an IEM's signature to an individual customer would be quite the undertaking.

I'm using a Westone Adventure Series cable with inline mic and controls, I had to trim a bit of the rubber around the connector so it would fit flush with the A83's, now they stay connected just fine.  Prior to that, they were easily dislodged due to the rubber "boot" around the connection.

Might be that whole "it's ever so slightly shorter than Shure connectors" thing I was told about. They'll work because they're all MMCX, but apparently the Shure and Westone versions are minutely different in length

May 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,679 of 3,064
I was probably a little sensitive to treble at that time too cuz I returned to my first nice set of IEMs (for nostalgia's sake) for a short period, the VSonic GR06, and it's more mid and bass skewed. Then I was on the Havi for a bit again and the vocals were just beautiful. So that all added together might have contributed a little bit, but even during my long-term listening, I felt the treble could've been harsh or sibilant at times.

Don't listen to @H20Fidelity
Fidue! Change something! Make a Midgetguy-tuned A83! :p Lol, now that's a niche the market has gone into yet. CIEM based on ear shape is one thing, but CIEMs based on ear shape AND tuned to preference. Tuning an IEM's signature to an individual customer would be quite the undertaking.

Might be that whole "it's ever so slightly shorter than Shure connectors" thing I was told about. They'll work because they're all MMCX, but apparently the Shure and Westone versions are minutely different in length

Well, it's been done in the past. Namely Tralucent 1Plus2 was tuned very much in line with the company owners preferences, and what a gem that is.

When I switched from Sennheiser HD25 (several days worth) to GR07 MK2 a few days ago I was very sensitive to their treble, quite brittle sounding.

Brain burn-in is REAL....

May 18, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,680 of 3,064
Well, it's been done in the past. Namely Tralucent 1Plus2 was tuned very much in line with the company owners preferences, and what a gem that is.

When I switched from Sennheiser HD25 (several days worth) to GR07 MK2 a few days ago I was very sensitive to their treble, quite brittle sounding.

Brain burn-in is REAL....

Well I was thinking not like the way Tralucent has done it, where it was just made the way the owner liked it, but as in a company that worked with each customer and tuned the sound sig to their liking. The Tralucent 1Plus2 is pretty much the same unit to unit, but the thing I'm suggesting is one where each unit would be different because it was tailored for a specific customer. Not much resale value (only can be resold to those who prefer a similar signature), but it'd be one helluva custom treatment.

I'm totally with you, the brain adjusts to incoming stimuli. The A83's vocal department seemed sorely lacking when I switched to it from the Havi B3, but compared to a couple other IEMs I have, the A83's vocals sound great. I have this distinct feeling that the A83 will sound more v-shaped than it actually is once I get them back since I've been listening to the Supra 2 as my main for the past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back