Fidelio x1 + Xonar U7 for movies and gaming, thoughts and guidance appreciated.
Sep 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GyroD

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I about to purchase the Philips Fidelio X1, with this I am planning on purchasing the Xonar U7.  This will cost me £260 (original budget on new headset £200).  I will be using this for gaming, watching films and music.

Before I hit the "Buy now" button I thought I would ask some guidance if I am doing the correct thing.  I am definitely getting the X1s, they look comfy and durable and my heart is set on them.  I am unsure about the U7.  I can't find any comparisons of this versus a Xonar DGX (only £30).  

If anyone could suggest a better alternative then the U7 for the same price and cheaper or why the U7 could possible not be good for the Fidelio X1s I would be very thankful :)

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 4
Very favourable new review at Guru3D:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_xonar_u7_review,1.html

Of note (for low impedance phones):

"One feature that isn’t listed is the headphone amplifier.  The amplifier has adjustable gain settings (see the Driver section) that will help boost the volume of low sensitivity headphones.  The AKG K701 headphones, for example, are around 62 Ohm at 1KHz, which means they are a little less loud than other headphones at the same level.  Most headphones and headsets are around 32 Ohm, and of course, most home speakers are around 8 Ohm.  The U7 will handle headphones up to 150 Ohms."

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 4
That review confused the hell out of me.  The reviewer was also using the ROG Spitfire USB Audio Processor which incorporates a headphone amp.  So I wasn't sure what the was about.

I chose the U7 because it was the maximum amount I could stretch my budget by.  I cant justify the price of the STX,  but I am unsure if there is similar or cheaper internal cards which are better, I don't want to pay a premium just the the card to external although it is a slight benefit.

Edit:

I just want to note the surround sound isn't an absolute requirement.

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 4
  That review confused the hell out of me.  The reviewer was also using the ROG Spitfire USB Audio Processor which incorporates a headphone amp.  So I wasn't sure what the was about.

I chose the U7 because it was the maximum amount I could stretch my budget by.  I cant justify the price of the STX,  but I am unsure if there is similar or cheaper internal cards which are better, I don't want to pay a premium just the the card to external although it is a slight benefit.

Edit:

I just want to note the surround sound isn't an absolute requirement.

It looks like the U7 has the same headphone amplifier as the Xonar DG/DGX
The U7 does have a better DAC CS4398, over the DG/DGX CS4245, which I'm sure is great for music, but not so much for gaming.
I doubt there is any advantage of 24/192 over 24/96 for gaming, music sounds great with 16/44.1, so 24/96 should be more then enough.
The U7 comes with the newer Dolby Home Theater V4, the Phoebus also comes with Dolby Home Theater (V4?)
In the past the software drivers on the Phoebus had it's fair number of complains (I'm sure drivers are better now)
Just get the Xonar DG/DGX, use the leftover cash for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back