Fidelice: Rupert Neve's new line of Home Hifi equipment
Jan 3, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 42
So I've been listening to the RNDAC for about a day now and wanted to give my impressions here as well. I should also mention that the pre-order is now live here, and I'm told it should be releasing sometime soon next week.

I'm always trying to do my best to pay attention to the assumption that something might be better because it costs a lot more, but with the RNDAC I'm starting to feel like the difference is so substantial that second guessing myself in this case is a bit pointless. I was admittedly skeptical that a DAC improvement would make much of a difference, so this has been a bit of a learning process for me. Anyways, it's a very obvious change when comparing it directly to my existing entry to mid level DACs. Just for reference I've been mainly using it with the ZMF Verite (open) and the Focal Elegia. Probably the most obvious improvement over my go-to source (Cayin IHA-6) is an improvement in structural definition and clarity for the images. It feels weird to say that because I remember first having that experience going from entry level equipment like the Magni 2 to the IHA-6 and being moderately to significantly impressed with the difference for my (at the time) low sensitivity planars. Going from that to the Rupert Neve DAC is an even bigger jump, at least as long as my expectation bias isn't doing me any serious psychological harm here. Nonetheless, it sounds to me, at least with the Verite, that the RNDAC improves the technical performance dramatically, whether it's detail retrieval, speed, sense of engagement, depth of stage (not just in front of me but all around as well). And that's not to say my other source gear is bad by any means, I'm just getting a strong sense that the "good enough" DACs I've been using for years simply won't be after this, and I'm likely going to have to invest in one, or something like it in the near future. I've also been pairing it up with some discrete amps like the iCAN Pro as well to see where the benefits of the DAC show up, and it's clear there's a noticeable difference there as well (rather than driving it from my iDSD Micro BL for example), but the degree to which it's the DAC that's doing the work or how important the amp component is I'm not yet sure. For those wondering, I believe this uses some form of AK4497, but don't quote me on that. Anyways there's still lots to test out with this unit, with many more headphones. Feel free to ask me any questions about how it sounds and I'll do my best to answer. Unfortunately I'm not a source gear measurements guy yet, merely experience and comparison-based impressions for now.

Thanks for the impressions. I would love to hear a Fidelice. I am also coming to the point where my midrange dac and amp might not be enough. I just demoed a TT2 and had the same type experience as you with the Fidelice. I need to hear the Fidelice before pulling the trigger on something else.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 42
Based on the published specifications, I'm going to say yes... Seems like 700$ for a rounded trapezoid and "signed" wooden veneer on top.
All of the listed specs, even the dimensions, were exactly the same.
I asked the company rep at CanJam Shanghai about the difference. He said they changed they put in a larger capacitor at the headphone output amp stage, and changed the gain so it gets louder quicker as you dial up the volume. So yes minimal interior changes given the price difference. On the plus side, RNHP will give you a good amp for cheaper.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 42
I asked the company rep at CanJam Shanghai about the difference. He said they changed they put in a larger capacitor at the headphone output amp stage, and changed the gain so it gets louder quicker as you dial up the volume. So yes minimal interior changes given the price difference. On the plus side, RNHP will give you a good amp for cheaper.
For example, what can would this amp not be good for?
How does it compare to the thx amps.?

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 42
For example, what can would this amp not be good for?
How does it compare to the thx amps.?
Ah sorry I don’t actually have an RNHP or THX-based amp to compare. My statement of a “good amp” was based on the praise I’ve seen around and my brief impressions at CanJam.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #22 of 42
I saw this in person at the Florida Audio Expo a few weeks ago and it was much larger than I expected. If it was sitting on my desk it would be the focal point. It would better placed on a dedicated table or listening area.

I can’t comment on the sound because I didn’t spend enough time with it. But it was very impressive with the amount of connectivity and the build quality. Definitely a piece to aspire to one day.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 42
The Fidelice DAC/preamp is a very nice looking unit and performs without fuss and sonically, superbly. For the first time, a unit that seems to be able to have all the keys of a piano at roughly equivalent volume, without a glaring key or two. That's when using the Mysphere 3.2, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 and the Neumann NDH20. Not cheap, but it's worth every cent. I also love the treble with the Beyers - smooth, yet extended. Not as glaring as the Phonitor. The Beyer continues to scale well - from a Mytek DSD-DAC192 and a Phonitor via the Burson Conductor 3x Reference to the Fidelice. Love this hobby.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #24 of 42
Had these one on my shortlists and went to Audiobyte Hydra.Dac stack route instead.

Enjoy it mate!

May 3, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 42
I've just taken receipt of the Fidelice phono stage, headphone amp and precision DAC for a short-ish review period. The build on these things are absolutely exquisite - a good mix of mid-century charm and studio toughness/utilitarianism. I feel like the DAC ought to have a fold-out ashtray or old-fashioned holder to complete the picture!

So far it's proving to sound superb, somewhat expectedly. I've started with the standalone headphone amp paired with my existing DAC, the Bifrost 2, and it's a stellar match with my Grado GH1. Absolute clean, linear sound without any sense of starkness or sterility whatsoever. I'm looking forward to diving into these units much, much more.

May 3, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #26 of 42
I've just taken receipt of the Fidelice phono stage, headphone amp and precision DAC for a short-ish review period. The build on these things are absolutely exquisite - a good mix of mid-century charm and studio toughness/utilitarianism. I feel like the DAC ought to have a fold-out ashtray or old-fashioned holder to complete the picture!

So far it's proving to sound superb, somewhat expectedly. I've started with the standalone headphone amp paired with my existing DAC, the Bifrost 2, and it's a stellar match with my Grado GH1. Absolute clean, linear sound without any sense of starkness or sterility whatsoever. I'm looking forward to diving into these units much, much more.
Woohoo! Without wanting to sound like too much of a fan-boy I've been loving your reviews on Headfonia. There's relatively few reviews around about these components too so I'd be interested to hear your take.

I still haven't got my hands on the RNDAC, but it remains high on my wishlist. I need to find a stockist somewhere here in China to get another taste. Soundwise everything just sounded 'right' somehow when I heard it back at the head-fi meet a few years ago; little things like the way notes hung in the air and decayed, and just the overall sense of the music coming alive. Physically it's quite a substantial beast, but I fully agree it's beautiful utilitarian feel in person. Your ashtray comment is hilarious and totally relatable - it's like that wood veneer on top is just begging to hold your whiskey tumbler while your listening :)

May 3, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #27 of 42
Woohoo! Without wanting to sound like too much of a fan-boy I've been loving your reviews on Headfonia. There's relatively few reviews around about these components too so I'd be interested to hear your take.

I still haven't got my hands on the RNDAC, but it remains high on my wishlist. I need to find a stockist somewhere here in China to get another taste. Soundwise everything just sounded 'right' somehow when I heard it back at the head-fi meet a few years ago; little things like the way notes hung in the air and decayed, and just the overall sense of the music coming alive. Physically it's quite a substantial beast, but I fully agree it's beautiful utilitarian feel in person. Your ashtray comment is hilarious and totally relatable - it's like that wood veneer on top is just begging to hold your whiskey tumbler while your listening :)
You're too kind, thanks mate. I'm going to enjoy writing this one.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 42
Finally picked up one of these little beasts with an 11/11 reduction. Quite a solid thing in person. Going to burn it in and get a feel for it this week.
07A4548A-DFA0-4D94-B842-8745BB70CA12.jpeg

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #29 of 42

I’d be very interested in your thoughts on their phono stage whenever you have a moment.

It’s very tempting but I have no idea if it would be an improvement over what I have in my modded Fisher 500b’s phono stage…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back