Fidelice: Rupert Neve's new line of Home Hifi equipment
Jul 26, 2019 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

DaaDaa

500+ Head-Fier
The famed pro recording studio designer who had a headhpone amp directed towards consumers now has a new brand with attractive steel and wood construction and top quality promises. prices are not yet released.

RND-Fidelice-family-PR.jpg

Fidelice has an AKM based DAC, a phono pre and a headphone amp. the release date for the DAc is by the end of September and this thread will specifically focus on the DAC.

the DAC: https://fidelice.com/precision-digital-to-analog-converter

press release: https://rupertneve.com/news/introducing-fidelice/

these are not gonna be cheap but here is the scoop:

The Precision Digital-to-Analog Converter is the new range’s flagship product, built around pure Class-A topologies with transformer balanced XLR outputs, and it “represents a new standard in digital accuracy from the master of analog”. In DSD mode, the DAC is capable of operating at the highest available standard of DSD512 (22.4MHz), and in PCM mode the the DAC is capable of reproducing 24-bit, 384 kHz files. According to the company, “Pristine clocking with the top-of-the-line AKM converter chips and highly customized integration make the precision DAC a true reference level product.” The Precision DAC’s rear panel also features digital filter sets to further adapt the sound for any system.

The headphone amplifier within the Precision DAC elevates the award-winning RNHP, with an entirely new design featuring the inclusion of XLR balanced and Pentaconn balanced connections in addition to the ¼” unbalanced output. It also includes a high-gain switch making it capable of driving the most difficult-to-power headphones.

Fidelice-rndac-rear-2000px.png

The Precision Phono Pre-Amplifier is a new design based around the classic amplifier topologies that have made Mr. Rupert Neve’s microphone preamplifiers so sought-after for decades, and is intended to “elevate your turntable setup with the classic sound of Rupert Neve”. Purpose-designed low-noise JFET-based discrete Class-A amplifiers are implemented throughout the signal path for both MM and MC gain stages, “each painstakingly tailored for an enthralling listening experience with unparalleled accuracy, depth and expressiveness.” The Precision Phono Pre-Amplifier includes a switchable 18dB/octave rumble filter, and the MM signal path also includes selectable capacitance of either 110pF or 220pF to pair with a large variety of cartridges.

Finally, the Precision Headphone Amplifier is an updated version of Rupert Neve Designs’ award-winning RNHP, a 24V reference-quality headphone amplifier, complete with a new steel & wood industrial design that makes it at home in any living room or office. Each of its three sets of inputs is specifically calibrated for optimal level and impedance, and it offers effortless, wide-open sonic performance and abundant power to drive any headphones without compromise.

The Precision Phono Pre-Amplifier and Precision Headphone Amplifier are shipping at the end of August 2019, with the Precision DAC shipping at the end of September 2019. All Fidelice products are made in the USA and feature an attractive high-end steel & wood construction.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 42
The DAC/amp looks like the last piece of equipment I'd ever need in this hobby. The aesthetics are incredible - I'd need to buy a suitable mid-century side table to mount it on! Rupert Neve's engineering reputation gives me enormous confidence in the likely performance of it as well. Can't wait to audition one.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 42
Hi @someyoungguy,

None of the Fidelice range has been released which is why no prices.

I suggest heading over to the dedicated site to check specs but basic rundown is as follows :
On paper, specs are meant to be the same though there may be to be some internal changes, like bigger capacitators & minor sound tweaks, though there is no clear info to support the former but was very briefly mentioned at RMAF but cannot confirm this.
The only thing any of us regular consumers can do is wait for more info & hope for a demo...

Have you heard the RNHP ?

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Hi @someyoungguy,

None of the Fidelice range has been released which is why no prices.

I suggest heading over to the dedicated site to check specs but basic rundown is as follows :
On paper, specs are meant to be the same though there may be to be some internal changes, like bigger capacitators & minor sound tweaks, though there is no clear info to support the former but was very briefly mentioned at RMAF but cannot confirm this.
The only thing any of us regular consumers can do is wait for more info & hope for a demo...

Have you heard the RNHP ?

Thanks, yeah I saw on Inner Fidelity that larger capacitors were mentioned. Also the ballpark price mentioned on there is markedly higher for the Fidelice headphone amp vs RNHP.

I haven’t actually heard the RNHP but have been checking reviews and impressions, I think I’ll pick one up soon. I should have had a listen at Canjam Shanghai last year but it just wasn’t on my radar at that point.

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 42
I tried this at canjam London
This is a more negative review.

More dynamic than the little aml, but this is disappointing, especially compared to the M3 and the RME. It just sounds like the dynamics are compressed, really narrow stage lacking depth.
The veil of the RME in terms of the softer transients doesn't do as much harm to music as the compression of the fidelice.
I wasn't expecting much to begin with and I still felt disappointed.
It also broke at the show, don't remember how, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I'm not too big of a fan of Rupert neve source gear, while I have heard good things about their preamp transformers, they serve a very different role than source gear.

I think the more competitive pro gear brand which has experience in mastering gear and sound reproduction is SPL, especially at the fidelice price point.
Neve is more famous for their sonic signature their gear imprints.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 42
Thanks, yeah I saw on Inner Fidelity that larger capacitors were mentioned. Also the ballpark price mentioned on there is markedly higher for the Fidelice headphone amp vs RNHP.

I haven’t actually heard the RNHP but have been checking reviews and impressions, I think I’ll pick one up soon. I should have had a listen at Canjam Shanghai last year but it just wasn’t on my radar at that point.

As said, till more information & pricing is released, I rather not speculate though given I have the RNHP already, it depends on pricepoint when it comes out as I am outside the US so I more than likely have to deal with exchange rate when it comes out if I spring for one.
Also, I tend to take reviewers, especially innerfidelity with a very large can of salt & rather trust my own ears...
Though nothing against the current lot at IF, just after Tyll left, who at least I found a bit more subjective & actually explains pros vs cons more clearly, I lost much interest though I do still read IF & affliates as they do decent news overall.

I have had my RNHP for 3 years +, it is still my main reference head amp though I don't always listen to it as I have quite a few amps I rotate with & I am not always after a reference level sound for my daily listening.
At present, I'm favouring my tube amps though I just spent a few weeks with my RNHP.
Saying that, I do find it very enjoyable & if you jump on the RNHP thread here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rup...he-rnhp-precision-headphone-amplifier.804255/

You will find out more info there but I do suggest if you can find a good pro audio place in NZ, then you should be able to demo it.
I doubt you will be disappointed though I will suggest using at least a good quality source otherwise RNHP won't sound its best.

More dynamic than the little aml, but this is disappointing, especially compared to the M3 and the RME. It just sounds like the dynamics are compressed, really narrow stage lacking depth.
The veil of the RME in terms of the softer transients doesn't do as much harm to music as the compression of the fidelice.
I wasn't expecting much to begin with and I still felt disappointed.
It also broke at the show, don't remember how, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I'm not too big of a fan of Rupert neve source gear, while I have heard good things about their preamp transformers, they serve a very different role than source gear.

I think the more competitive pro gear brand which has experience in mastering gear and sound reproduction is SPL, especially at the fidelice price point.
Neve is more famous for their sonic signature their gear imprints.

@Taisser Roots,

Nothing wrong with a negative POV though not sure why you're comparing a DAP & I presume you mean the ADI 2 Pro to a solid state head amp.
The DAC would certainly be interesting to hear though not sure why you're comparing RME & Rupert Neve as they have different sound & they do different things.
Was the ADI 2 pro actually side by side or were you doing a from memory comparison?
What was your or the actual source provided?
What tracks were being played?
Regardless of brand, more often than not, subjectively & personally, I have found when people complain something is lacking, especially in a source &/or amp is due to incorrect synergy between said source &/or amp & head gear.
Source quality plays a part as well, as a higher than CD quality format aren't always well recorded & just take up space.
I've seen demo units of audio brands at varying levels break so it's not really an indication of anything.

How you actually heard other Rupert Neve gear overall?
Preamp transformers are much different to source gear indeed though one, certainly not me, could argue it is still part of the source chain to a certain extent...
Rupert Neve Fidelice brand is to woo audio enthusiasts with potentially pro level gear who care about asthetics though personally, as long as they sound good to me, is all I really care about.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 42
As said, till more information & pricing is released, I rather not speculate though given I have the RNHP already, it depends on pricepoint when it comes out as I am outside the US so I more than likely have to deal with exchange rate when it comes out if I spring for one.
Also, I tend to take reviewers, especially innerfidelity with a very large can of salt & rather trust my own ears...
Though nothing against the current lot at IF, just after Tyll left, who at least I found a bit more subjective & actually explains pros vs cons more clearly, I lost much interest though I do still read IF & affliates as they do decent news overall.

I have had my RNHP for 3 years +, it is still my main reference head amp though I don't always listen to it as I have quite a few amps I rotate with & I am not always after a reference level sound for my daily listening.
At present, I'm favouring my tube amps though I just spent a few weeks with my RNHP.
Saying that, I do find it very enjoyable & if you jump on the RNHP thread here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rup...he-rnhp-precision-headphone-amplifier.804255/

You will find out more info there but I do suggest if you can find a good pro audio place in NZ, then you should be able to demo it.
I doubt you will be disappointed though I will suggest using at least a good quality source otherwise RNHP won't sound its best.

@Taisser Roots,

Nothing wrong with a negative POV though not sure why you're comparing a DAP & I presume you mean the ADI 2 Pro to a solid state head amp.
The DAC would certainly be interesting to hear though not sure why you're comparing RME & Rupert Neve as they have different sound & they do different things.
Was the ADI 2 pro actually side by side or were you doing a from memory comparison?
What was your or the actual source provided?
What tracks were being played?
Regardless of brand, more often than not, subjectively & personally, I have found when people complain something is lacking, especially in a source &/or amp is due to incorrect synergy between said source &/or amp & head gear.
Source quality plays a part as well, as a higher than CD quality format aren't always well recorded & just take up space.
I've seen demo units of audio brands at varying levels break so it's not really an indication of anything.

How you actually heard other Rupert Neve gear overall?
Preamp transformers are much different to source gear indeed though one, certainly not me, could argue it is still part of the source chain to a certain extent...
Rupert Neve Fidelice brand is to woo audio enthusiasts with potentially pro level gear who care about asthetics though personally, as long as they sound good to me, is all I really care about.

By M3 I meant the bricasti M3, which is a very competitive AIO dac dac amp in a similar price range to the neve.
The purpose of pre-amp transformers is still very different to sound reproduction.
It's like someone who makes guitar pedals suddenly making a DAC, it's a very different category.

I was comparing the adi-2 dac to it, I haven't heard the pro myself.
I have heard the rnhp and I personally found that to fall short of even the magni 3. I have heard the transformers in different gear at friend's places, but it's not really my hobby.
This was at the same show, with the same headphones and using the same network streamers that everyone at canjam London had.
It worked perfectly fine with everything else so I wasn't too bothered.

The tracks included stuff from sons of kemet, Amy. Winehouse back to black and a few other standard reference tracks.

Oct 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 42
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #12 of 42
I heard the precision amp and DAC/amp at CanJam Shanghai last weekend, put some impressions in the show thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...ovember-9-10-2019.918758/page-3#post-15299542

To elaborate here:

Listened to the Fidelice amp using either iPhone-Dragonfly Cobalt or Plenue S as a source, with tracks I know and headphones I know well (B&W P7). Sounded good. Certainly no complaints and would love to have a longer listen. But it was getting late on the Sunday and the DAC/amp (below) was calling so I didn’t listen for too long. The guy at the stand (sorry can’t remember his name) confirmed the capacitors are larger on the Fidelice amp vs RNHP, and also the gain was altered so that the Fidelice gets louder quicker as you increase over the first portion of the volume range. My impression was the max output volume is the same, although didn’t specifically ask. He was also honest enough to say that level-matched you’d be hard pressed to hear differences between the RNHP and Fidelice amp.

Then I tried the Precision DAC/amp. First of all, it’s a substantial piece of equipment in person and looks stunning. Used an iPhone as a source to feed the DAC, with B&W P7 headphones on the single-ended output. The sound matches the great looks, listened to a range of different genres of songs I know well and every one was handled with aplomb. Really great tonality and just a magical mix of dynamic and engaging sound signature with the right detail and sense of space that pulled me in and kept me wanting to trial more and more tracks. It was honestly one of the highlights of the show. The P7s can only do single-ended so I didn’t even try the balanced connection. The guy said final pricing was still TBC but between 4-5000 USD. For that kind of investment ideally you’d be able to trial it side-by-side with similarly priced gear, but there’s probably few places you could manage that. It’s out of my price range for the foreseeable future, but I’m already wondering in the back of my mind how I could get hold of one in a year’s time or so.

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 42
So I've been listening to the RNDAC for about a day now and wanted to give my impressions here as well. I should also mention that the pre-order is now live here, and I'm told it should be releasing sometime soon next week.

Image1.jpg

I'm always trying to do my best to pay attention to the assumption that something might be better because it costs a lot more, but with the RNDAC I'm starting to feel like the difference is so substantial that second guessing myself in this case is a bit pointless. I was admittedly skeptical that a DAC improvement would make much of a difference, so this has been a bit of a learning process for me. Anyways, it's a very obvious change when comparing it directly to my existing entry to mid level DACs. Just for reference I've been mainly using it with the ZMF Verite (open) and the Focal Elegia. Probably the most obvious improvement over my go-to source (Cayin IHA-6) is an improvement in structural definition and clarity for the images. It feels weird to say that because I remember first having that experience going from entry level equipment like the Magni 2 to the IHA-6 and being moderately to significantly impressed with the difference for my (at the time) low sensitivity planars. Going from that to the Rupert Neve DAC is an even bigger jump, at least as long as my expectation bias isn't doing me any serious psychological harm here. Nonetheless, it sounds to me, at least with the Verite, that the RNDAC improves the technical performance dramatically, whether it's detail retrieval, speed, sense of engagement, depth of stage (not just in front of me but all around as well). And that's not to say my other source gear is bad by any means, I'm just getting a strong sense that the "good enough" DACs I've been using for years simply won't be after this, and I'm likely going to have to invest in one, or something like it in the near future. I've also been pairing it up with some discrete amps like the iCAN Pro as well to see where the benefits of the DAC show up, and it's clear there's a noticeable difference there as well (rather than driving it from my iDSD Micro BL for example), but the degree to which it's the DAC that's doing the work or how important the amp component is I'm not yet sure. For those wondering, I believe this uses some form of AK4497, but don't quote me on that. Anyways there's still lots to test out with this unit, with many more headphones. Feel free to ask me any questions about how it sounds and I'll do my best to answer. Unfortunately I'm not a source gear measurements guy yet, merely experience and comparison-based impressions for now.

Image2.jpg

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 42
So I've been listening to the RNDAC for about a day now and wanted to give my impressions here as well. I should also mention that the pre-order is now live here, and I'm told it should be releasing sometime soon next week.

I'm always trying to do my best to pay attention to the assumption that something might be better because it costs a lot more, but with the RNDAC I'm starting to feel like the difference is so substantial that second guessing myself in this case is a bit pointless. I was admittedly skeptical that a DAC improvement would make much of a difference, so this has been a bit of a learning process for me. Anyways, it's a very obvious change when comparing it directly to my existing entry to mid level DACs. Just for reference I've been mainly using it with the ZMF Verite (open) and the Focal Elegia. Probably the most obvious improvement over my go-to source (Cayin IHA-6) is an improvement in structural definition and clarity for the images. It feels weird to say that because I remember first having that experience going from entry level equipment like the Magni 2 to the IHA-6 and being moderately to significantly impressed with the difference for my (at the time) low sensitivity planars. Going from that to the Rupert Neve DAC is an even bigger jump, at least as long as my expectation bias isn't doing me any serious psychological harm here. Nonetheless, it sounds to me, at least with the Verite, that the RNDAC improves the technical performance dramatically, whether it's detail retrieval, speed, sense of engagement, depth of stage (not just in front of me but all around as well). And that's not to say my other source gear is bad by any means, I'm just getting a strong sense that the "good enough" DACs I've been using for years simply won't be after this, and I'm likely going to have to invest in one, or something like it in the near future. I've also been pairing it up with some discrete amps like the iCAN Pro as well to see where the benefits of the DAC show up, and it's clear there's a noticeable difference there as well (rather than driving it from my iDSD Micro BL for example), but the degree to which it's the DAC that's doing the work or how important the amp component is I'm not yet sure. For those wondering, I believe this uses some form of AK4497, but don't quote me on that. Anyways there's still lots to test out with this unit, with many more headphones. Feel free to ask me any questions about how it sounds and I'll do my best to answer. Unfortunately I'm not a source gear measurements guy yet, merely experience and comparison-based impressions for now.

Nice write up, thanks. I think comparison and experience trump measures with sine waves anyway, so no loss there from my perspective.

Yes it does use an AK4497, just the one. Like you, ever since I heard it, I’ve been thinking about having to invest in one in the future too! Likely once the price comes down a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back