Fidelia issues - Help
Feb 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I've been playing around with several audio players for my new Macbook Air 11.6inch (base version) and have been most satisfied with the Fidelia player thus far. Superb sounding player which definitely sounds better than Foobar on Windows XP. However, there have been couple issues with the playback of music files thus far and I was wondering if anyone would know the reason for these problems and if there are any solutions for it.

1) This is the biggest one: I find that once in a while my music would stutter slightly in playback, typically near beginning of the song, sometimes in the middle. I'm not sure if has anything to do with it, but it seems to happen most when I'm browsing on some flash-intensive websites on Firefox. Would this have any effect on playback, or is it a known issue with Fidelia? Is it possibly because the specs of my macbook isn't powerful enough? (1.4ghz cpu, 2gb ram). I'm not multitasking heavily, just browsing on Firefox while playing Fidelia... and there seems to be enough ram left in activity monitor... or is it possibly due to badly integrated flash on Macs or a Firefox issue? Or possibly an issue with my m2tech hiface?

2) There doesn't seem to be any way in which I can retag the songs within the Fidelia Player... must this be done in another player like ITunes?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Whoops, sorry... meant to put this on Computer Audio section... but if anyone can answer this that would be great!

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Try updating Flash -- there is no auto-update for it, so many people end up stuck with the awful old versions in their system that came with Mac OS X. Until recently, Flash was an epic load of fail in Mac OS X (and hence Apple refused to allow it on iPhones or iPads). 

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 9
The flash on my Air is already updated to the latest version it seems, upon doing a plugin check.

Would using hog mode make any difference here? Unfortunately Fidelia does not supply Hog mode unless you buy their advanced version which is quite a bit more expensive than their base. I'd still buy it if I have to, but only if makes a difference in managing this current issue. What are some of the other advantages of the hog mode? I recall hearing that it pretty much lets it control the audio playback on your computer...

But it should be pretty certain that this isn't a hardware related issue, right? I'd reckon the current specs, although at base level, would still be enough to play back music flawlessly and do some light multitasking on the side (web browsing)...

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 9
It's not a Fidelia issue, it's a Flash issue. Flash ends up hogging computer resources, so everything else gets sacrificed.  I suggest downloading the latest Flash, possibly it's a beta, and installing it. However, if whatever web site you are going to is causing Flash to use up a lot of resources regardless, then the only solution is to just not go there when listening to music.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 9
I am also using Fidelia, and it doesn't sound like Fidelia is the problem. Why don't you try opening "Activity Monitor" and examine what processes are taking your CPU power most?

J.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 9
I also use Fidelia and have the same issue as you do...
Unibody Aluminium Macbook 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM
Occasionally (couple times per song) the CPU usage of Fidelia jumps up to 70-85% and then it jitters for a few seconds while i leave the damn computer alone for it to settle down; I'm not even doing anything intensive, just surfing head-fi on Safari :)
Fidelia used to play FLACs compression: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back