Ficher Audio FA-003 | Brainwavz HM5 | Lindy Premium Hi-Fi Headphones : What differences ? What similarities ? Which of these to choose ?
Dec 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Oeufdepoire

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

I'm planning to upgrade my audio rig, and, by browsing Head-Fi.org, the headphones I choose to go for are the Fischer Audio FA-003.
Of course, I made many other researches, which could be better, where to find them, etc. My researches led me to discover the existence of the Brainwavz HM5 and the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi Headphones. I started wondering which I should choose among them.
I've already read this and the reviews of the three headphones, but I'm not appointed yet, and a few questions still haunt me.

These questions are :
   - Do these three headphones are the same headphones under different brands ? Or are they different ?
   - Do they use the same drivers ?
   - Which of these should I choose ? Is it preferable to spend a little more to have the original Fischer Audio quality ? Or should I buy a pair HM5 or Lindy ?
   - What equipment (cables, case, pads) each of those come with ?

Thank you for your help.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 40
Heya,

I have the FA-003 and it's an excellent headphone. Comes with detachable cords, both leather & velour pads & a case. Match it with a higher powered amplifier, preferably something warm, a tube amp even perhaps.

Someone with the others will have to tell you if they come with the different pads.

They're likely similar headphones, if not the same, simply rebranded. Won't know until someone gets both, or all three, etc. I'm gonna guess they're virtually the same though.

Very best,

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 40

I'd be willing to bet money that the Lindy is the FA-003 after seeing their frequency response graph. It matched up so very nicely with InnerFidelity's frequency response of the FA-003 that I was convinced. 
Quote:
Heya,

I have the FA-003 and it's an excellent headphone. Comes with detachable cords, both leather & velour pads & a case. Match it with a higher powered amplifier, preferably something warm, a tube amp even perhaps.

Someone with the others will have to tell you if they come with the different pads.

They're likely similar headphones, if not the same, simply rebranded. Won't know until someone gets both, or all three, etc. I'm gonna guess they're virtually the same though.

Very best,

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 40
It's likely that all three share drivers, but we don't really know that for sure yet. The FA-003 and HM5 have some nice write-ups on them, but the LINDY cans haven't been thoroughly reviewed yet, so I'd be wary of them.

I'd personally go for the HM5, which has a few reviews to back it up already. It's cheaper than the FA-003 and a very nice can, durable and very nice-sounding.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 40
The price differences of these reflects accessory changes as well. The HM5 do no have the velour pads nor do they have the carrying case, so keep that in mind when deciding which one you want. Personally I ordered the HM5 because I like MP4Nation and I wasn't to worried about the velour and carrying case and wanted the price break. But for others those will be buying points. I do plan to see if I can buy the velour pads seperately if I find the leatherette uncomfortable though.

Other than that I would just assume these all have a very similar if not the same sound.

Sure hoping they sound as good as the reviews make them out to be :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 40

Quote:
The price differences of these reflects accessory changes as well. The HM5 do no have the velour pads nor do they have the carrying case, so keep that in mind when deciding which one you want. Personally I ordered the HM5 because I like MP4Nation and I wasn't to worried about the velour and carrying case and wanted the price break. But for others those will be buying points. I do plan to see if I can buy the velour pads seperately if I find the leatherette uncomfortable though.

Other than that I would just assume these all have a very similar if not the same sound.

Sure hoping they sound as good as the reviews make them out to be :)

I caught that difference with the HM5 watching the MP4Nation review, but I'd forgotten. Now I have further justification in my mind for paying $50 more for the FA-003 and waiting for the two months of shipping from GD Audiobase.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 40
OK, thank you all for your help. I decided to go for the FA-003, because it's Fischer Audio, and because a carrying case is included.

Now I just have to wait for Frogbeats to restock them...

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 40

Quote:
OK, thank you all for your help. I decided to go for the FA-003, because it's Fischer Audio, and because a carrying case is included.

Now I just have to wait for Frogbeats to restock them...

By going through Frogbeats you're going to avoid a lot of trouble. Here in the US most of us go through GD Audiobase, and it's horrid. It's all worth it in the end no matter what company you go through, though. Good luck!

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 40
mp4nation uses the carrying case as packaging for the first shipment. For all of us who ordered until now, we will get one. Not sure how long that will last until they have  proper packaging.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 40

Quote:
By going through Frogbeats you're going to avoid a lot of trouble. Here in the US most of us go through GD Audiobase, and it's horrid. It's all worth it in the end no matter what company you go through, though. Good luck!

instead of  GD Audiobase, check MA.
Musica Acoustics is now authorized distributor of Fischer Audio in the USA
I have dealt with MA for about 2 years now. Highly recommended. Fast shipping from Japan, as well as now I was told, they will have stock in USA for easy access in the near future.
For now,  MA's website in english does not list FA headphones
but only Japanese one has the whole nine yards including newly released Oldskool 33/13 headphones.
best way is to contact MA by email for ordering (Owner name is also  Dimitri) but no connection to Audiobase..

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 40

Quote:
mp4nation uses the carrying case as packaging for the first shipment. For all of us who ordered until now, we will get one. Not sure how long that will last until they have  proper packaging.

holy crap! :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
   - Which of these should I choose ? Is it preferable to spend a little more to have the original Fischer Audio quality ?

I doubt there is such a thing. I'm not saying Fischer Audio headphones are of poor quality however.
Fischer Audio, like MP4Nation and Lindy, does not make the headphones they sell. They may decide on the componentry which goes into them, but more likely all three companies buy chinese made Yoga headphones (http://www.yoga.com.tw/style/content/CN-10-2c/product_detail.asp?lang=2&customer_id=2000&name_id=78810&rid=45198&id=292588), rebadge them and distribute them to other parts of the world.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 40
"Fischer Audio quality" generally is simply in that they provide more accessories than their re-badge twins. Also, their new 33 1/3 look really steampunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back