Few question about integrated sound & two amps (Fiio E9 & Schiit Asgard)
Dec 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JereHakala

New Head-Fier
'Ello, I'm aware that questions like these get asked very often, and I have searched before asking.

My main source is my computers integrated sound, so would it be wiser for me to get E9 + E7, and not use the integrated sound, or use the integrated sound chip and buy just the Schiit amp.

Or are there any other dac/amp combinations for $300?
I'm using Beyerdynamic DT770/80 pros, and from what I've read they don't benefit that much from an amp, but I'm probably going to buy some Sennheisers/Grados later on.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
'Ello, I'm aware that questions like these get asked very often, and I have searched before asking.
My main source is my computers integrated sound, so would it be wiser for me to get E9 + E7, and not use the integrated sound, or use the integrated sound chip and buy just the Schiit amp.
Or are there any other dac/amp combinations for $300?
I'm using Beyerdynamic DT770/80 pros, and from what I've read they don't benefit that much from an amp, but I'm probably going to buy some Sennheisers/Grados later on.

DT770 Pro 80-Ohm only sound their best when using a headphone amplifier.
If all you do is use stereo 2.0 channel sound, like for music, then the Fiio E10 ($80) USB/DAC/headphone amplifier would work nicely.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card is only $20-$30, comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms.
Will not be as good a headphone amplifier as the E10, but does come with Dolby Headphone for surround sound for movies and games.

Nothing wrong with the Fiio E9/E7 combo, if your willing to spend the $185.

Motherboard built in sound is not going to have a great DAC, so it's not going to feed the Schiit a great analog signal.
You might want to look into an external DAC to go along with the Schiit.

Or just get the Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCI-Express) sound card ($180), no need for anything else.
With the Essence STX, you can upgrade the 3 op-amps for $15-$40.
The Essence comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohm.
Comes with Dolby Headphone.
Can play full audio (24/192) for Blu-ray movies.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 6
I would suggest grabbing a NuForce uDAC-2 ($130 US) or similar USB DAC with 2V (or greater) RCA outputs to connect to the Schitt Asgard ($250 US).  That might beat the heck out of your budget, but this combo will allow you to use just about any computer to get a relatively good quality sound capable of driving a wide range of headphones.

For under $400, you would have yourself a very competent setup, and one that would you would probably find a use for later, if you ever decide to upgrade in the future. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions
Quote:
I would suggest grabbing a NuForce uDAC-2 ($130 US) or similar USB DAC with 2V (or greater) RCA outputs to connect to the Schitt Asgard ($250 US).  That might beat the heck out of your budget, but this combo will allow you to use just about any computer to get a relatively good quality sound capable of driving a wide range of headphones.

For under $400, you would have yourself a very competent setup, and one that would you would probably find a use for later, if you ever decide to upgrade in the future. 

Hmm, I was thinking of getting the Schiit and a Behringer UCA202 or a Fiio D3, then later on a better dac.
Not sure so, so many choices..
E: Actually I think I get the Tubemagic D1 by mav-audio :xf_eek:

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 6
On same boat, which would be better to get my k702 to it full potential:

FIIO D3 + E9 combo (don't want E7, already got PA2v2 as portable amp)

Xonar STX

Will probably buy one of these after the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back