Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #992 of 1,028
I like Ron's reviews but PLEASE don't make a decision based on DAC sound demos. They're pointless and possibly actively misleading for a number of reasons....

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #994 of 1,028
Very early days for me but very, very impressed so far. For now, settling with the OOR on bypass and Wandla digital volume control, HYPSOS & Ferrum splitter, all connected with Ferrum Power link. ASIO Driver in Roon.

I am definitely starting to understand the Ferrum trademark sound - detailed, punchy, smooth and not remotely fatiguing. For me personally it is everything I want to enjoy music. There's nothing about the sound that seems like it could cheat you, (or cheating yourself rather, into what you're enjoying just being that new toy thing, with some things standing out only later to be seen as something almost artificial. The sound is pleasant and honest, but still has enough punch to be exciting.

For those wondering how it compares to the ERCO, the difference is significant. The Wandla is a significant cut above.

Will do a deeper dive into my thoughts at a later date once I've had some proper time with the stack. I'd love to do some A/Bing with more than just the ERCO. So far it seems like this is something very special..for my ears at least.
Nice to hear it's a huge improvement. Do you have any more thoughts? I use an Erco (gen 1) which I could pay to upgrade to gen 2. But I'm also really curious about upgrading to Wandla instead.

Mostly curious about how the stage, separation and smoothness/timbre compare.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #995 of 1,028
I'd say deciding between Wandla and Erco really depends on how much of a footprint you want the gear to have. Specially with Erco 2 out, might be closer to Wandla than the original is unless they didn't upgrade much from it. As far as the GS version of Wandla, they still haven't shipped yet(I think anyway, pretty sure since I preordered almost right after it went up). I'd say if you can drive to a dealer and audition them, I'd just do that.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #996 of 1,028
I must say with somewhat heavy heart that my interest in the Wandla has notably declined since I received my Erco Gen 2. The Erco 2 uses the same HQ Apodizing filter that the Wandla does, has a similar I/V conversion stage, and uses the same DSP stack with I think the same format support over USB. And it has a powerful headphone output. The Wandla has more filters, a better pre-amp, a remote control, and a bigger DAC chip (though the implementations of the DAC chips will be quite similar now). The lack of additional filters may be a benefit for someone who suffers from tweaker nervosa; can't worry about which filter is best if you can't change it (taps forehead). Ferrum claims that the Erco 2 is almost as good as the Wandla. I'm really glad they backported those improvements to the Erco and allowed existing owners to upgrade, but now I don't really see a need to acquire an ultimately less flexible device.

I'm still interested in the GoldenSound Edition Wandla, as I think the added DSP options could be useful. However, it will likely have to wait as a pure DAC/pre-amp is hard to fit into my current setups.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #998 of 1,028
It’s taking long for the release… and the hype is slowly fading away… 🥺
Headphones.com is currently waiting for a response from the US Distributor, now that the firmware is out units should be able to start shipping. I'm checking up with Ferrum today so hopefully things should be moving in the next couple days and people will have units in hand very shortly!

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #999 of 1,028
Headphones.com is currently waiting for a response from the US Distributor, now that the firmware is out units should be able to start shipping. I'm checking up with Ferrum today so hopefully things should be moving in the next couple days and people will have units in hand very shortly!
Thank you, GoldenSound! The hype has just been updated and running again! 🤯 can’t wait! 🙉

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #1,000 of 1,028
Thank you, GoldenSound! The hype has just been updated and running again! 🤯 can’t wait! 🙉
giphy.gif

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,001 of 1,028
Do you know if GS edition will reach UK distribution? Or is it Headphones.com exclusive?

The list of improvements and features has me hooked!

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,002 of 1,028
As long as the wait has been, can’t really fault anyone and honestly I’m glad Ferrum went nuclear against that bug people were mentioning. It saved ferrum a bad launch and people a frustrating experience if that bug stayed under the radar.

I have some hype 4 iems coming soon so that will hold me over for a bit lol. Debated getting a dongle dac for my phone to go with it but most of the time the phones playing music it’s off WiFi and I keep the quality low for data reasons. Don’t know if it would still be worth the investment.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #1,003 of 1,028
Do you know if GS edition will reach UK distribution? Or is it Headphones.com exclusive?

The list of improvements and features has me hooked!
It's only exclusive in NA. Elsewhere any Ferrum dealer can retail it :)

Some dealers have already ordered units some have not so check with your preferred dealer(s) and they can let you know how quickly they can get one to ya

As long as the wait has been, can’t really fault anyone and honestly I’m glad Ferrum went nuclear against that bug people were mentioning. It saved ferrum a bad launch and people a frustrating experience if that bug stayed under the radar.

I have some hype 4 iems coming soon so that will hold me over for a bit lol. Debated getting a dongle dac for my phone to go with it but most of the time the phones playing music it’s off WiFi and I keep the quality low for data reasons. Don’t know if it would still be worth the investment.
Yep! Fixing that bug was priority. Now that's done retail units can ship and they're finishing up the conversion programme so that should be ready soon

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #1,004 of 1,028
Ok I don’t tend to right a lot of feedback regarding the gear I own but the ferrum Wandla is just too great to not share my thoughts because it is exactly what I was looking for in a sound signature AND it is not what I was expecting.

I tend to not agree with most reviewers as they mostly try to upsell a product for commissions or affiliation links. But this DAC is worth all the praise it got!

What I was expecting from this Dac is sterile fatiguing sound due to the ess chip. But I was surprised that it is NOT at all ! It really is a natural neutral sound that is both engaging and fun and interesting to listen to even on bad recordings. On top of that it doesn’t sound like Delta-Sigma DACs! What I mean by that is it has a big stage with great depth and AMAZING layering and instruments separation!

All my impressions are based on HQ Apod and HQ Gauss filters.

Now let me talk about the NONE sound features that made me highly respect Ferrum and made me a life long fan of their product:

1- very well designed software with top notch UI ! I never seen a Dac with such attention to details and user experience with an (i) button to explain any part of the software options.

2- a beautiful colorful very responsive touch screen, that is a joy to use.

3- Ferrum really care about their customers as they have a vote on their website regarding what the users thought on the current filters so they would try to bring new improved filters in the future.

4- continues firmware upgrade to keep improving and solving any bugs and problems.

5- a remote.

They really went up and beyond with the Wandla.

6- all kind of input possible, Even an Arc ! Which I never seen before in a 2 ch Dac tbh.

7- option for hot 10v or standard 4v output.

8- pre amp (though I don’t have any use for it but it’s good to know that you are covered).

Now let me compare the Wandla to Holo May KTE as I had the May in my system for about a week or so as a loaner from a friend.

My headphones are: HE6 OG 6 screws and DS madhouse Tungsten.

My Amplifier is Holo Bliss KTE

Streamer/DDC is the Holo RED

Resolution: in my opinion both Dac on the same level here.

Soundstage: from what I perceived I found both Dac stage big, very wide and very deep, but with the May a little bit deeper, impressive feat for Wandla!

Layering and separation between instruments in the mix: I found the May the most impressive Dac ever in this particular area, and wandla was on par ! May maybe a mere few percent ahead but nonetheless.

Imaging: Wandla was laser sharp pinpoint and May is no slouch but it was behind in this area.

Speed: one of the few things I didn’t like about the May is the speed, I felt it was slower than what I liked in my music, maybe it’s accurate this way I’m not sure but definitely not to what I like, Wandla is FAST that’s where the ess chip shows its characteristics.

Texture: let me explain what is my definition of texture so you can understand my thoughts. When you look up close to the skin of a face that has no make up you can clearly tell all the pores, imperfections and irregularities very easily, but after make up everything looks nice and smooth and perfect. So this what I mean by texture.

The Wandla is very texture forward which I really like, but at the same time it is never harsh or fatiguing, I think it strikes an excellent balance in this regards. The May however, is very smooth, too smooth I might add, it makes everything sounds nice and polite and maybe boring in certain genres that requires speed and texture like electronic and edm. But this smoothness pays off with certain types of music that I will cover in the midrange segment.

Timber: I found both Dac to have an excellent accurate timber, but May has the more real life like timber but Wandla more enjoyable representation of timber although less accurate.

Treble: I found with time that treble is enjoyable, in the past I thought that I hated treble and always wanted something smooth in the treble, and that’s because not a lot of audio equipment present treble accurately and also if you have a lot of noise in the system you will hear it usually as harshness in the treble (don’t quote me on that, it’s just what was my experience with different equipment and different sources overtime) anyway let’s talk about the DACs treble. I found the Wandla treble is well extended well executed and never fatiguing and never harsh, very engaging and enjoyable with a little bite and texture that will make you want more. On the other hand, May is very smooth in the treble, too smooth I might say, a little boring with music that requires treble energy, more like old vinyl records that feel too smooth.

Midrange: Wandla here is excellent but in my opinion there is nothing like Holo May in the midrange! It is where the May real strength and main advantage where the MAGIC of the Holo Dac happens, in one words magnificent! Very romantic and smooth and beautiful. It’s excellent for mid focus and vocal focus music, its smoothness make old recordings sounds lifelike and very beautiful and mesmerizing. But other music where other parts of the frequency response I found the Wandla to be more enjoyable.

Bass: both Dac slams in the bass but the May definitely slams stronger, but the Wandla I found more textured in the bass.

To summarize, I think both DACs are excellent and it’s a matter of preference more than performance. But for me and my preference, I think I final found it!

My preference is big sound stage with depth and excellent layering and separation, well extended treble and punchy bass with sharp imaging. Until now I never found a Dac that has all of that, as big stage and separation is more r2r but the Wandla changed that and I think it’s an excellent value for money and it punches above its prince range.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #1,005 of 1,028
Ok I don’t tend to right a lot of feedback regarding the gear I own but the ferrum Wandla is just too great to not share my thoughts because it is exactly what I was looking for in a sound signature AND it is not what I was expecting.

I tend to not agree with most reviewers as they mostly try to upsell a product for commissions or affiliation links. But this DAC is worth all the praise it got!

What I was expecting from this Dac is sterile fatiguing sound due to the ess chip. But I was surprised that it is NOT at all ! It really is a natural neutral sound that is both engaging and fun and interesting to listen to even on bad recordings. On top of that it doesn’t sound like Delta-Sigma DACs! What I mean by that is it has a big stage with great depth and AMAZING layering and instruments separation!

All my impressions are based on HQ Apod and HQ Gauss filters.

Now let me talk about the NONE sound features that made me highly respect Ferrum and made me a life long fan of their product:

1- very well designed software with top notch UI ! I never seen a Dac with such attention to details and user experience with an (i) button to explain any part of the software options.

2- a beautiful colorful very responsive touch screen, that is a joy to use.

3- Ferrum really care about their customers as they have a vote on their website regarding what the users thought on the current filters so they would try to bring new improved filters in the future.

4- continues firmware upgrade to keep improving and solving any bugs and problems.

5- a remote.

They really went up and beyond with the Wandla.

6- all kind of input possible, Even an Arc ! Which I never seen before in a 2 ch Dac tbh.

7- option for hot 10v or standard 4v output.

8- pre amp (though I don’t have any use for it but it’s good to know that you are covered).

Now let me compare the Wandla to Holo May KTE as I had the May in my system for about a week or so as a loaner from a friend.

My headphones are: HE6 OG 6 screws and DS madhouse Tungsten.

My Amplifier is Holo Bliss KTE

Streamer/DDC is the Holo RED

Resolution: in my opinion both Dac on the same level here.

Soundstage: from what I perceived I found both Dac stage big, very wide and very deep, but with the May a little bit deeper, impressive feat for Wandla!

Layering and separation between instruments in the mix: I found the May the most impressive Dac ever in this particular area, and wandla was on par ! May maybe a mere few percent ahead but nonetheless.

Imaging: Wandla was laser sharp pinpoint and May is no slouch but it was behind in this area.

Speed: one of the few things I didn’t like about the May is the speed, I felt it was slower than what I liked in my music, maybe it’s accurate this way I’m not sure but definitely not to what I like, Wandla is FAST that’s where the ess chip shows its characteristics.

Texture: let me explain what is my definition of texture so you can understand my thoughts. When you look up close to the skin of a face that has no make up you can clearly tell all the pores, imperfections and irregularities very easily, but after make up everything looks nice and smooth and perfect. So this what I mean by texture.

The Wandla is very texture forward which I really like, but at the same time it is never harsh or fatiguing, I think it strikes an excellent balance in this regards. The May however, is very smooth, too smooth I might add, it makes everything sounds nice and polite and maybe boring in certain genres that requires speed and texture like electronic and edm. But this smoothness pays off with certain types of music that I will cover in the midrange segment.

Timber: I found both Dac to have an excellent accurate timber, but May has the more real life like timber but Wandla more enjoyable representation of timber although less accurate.

Treble: I found with time that treble is enjoyable, in the past I thought that I hated treble and always wanted something smooth in the treble, and that’s because not a lot of audio equipment present treble accurately and also if you have a lot of noise in the system you will hear it usually as harshness in the treble (don’t quote me on that, it’s just what was my experience with different equipment and different sources overtime) anyway let’s talk about the DACs treble. I found the Wandla treble is well extended well executed and never fatiguing and never harsh, very engaging and enjoyable with a little bite and texture that will make you want more. On the other hand, May is very smooth in the treble, too smooth I might say, a little boring with music that requires treble energy, more like old vinyl records that feel too smooth.

Midrange: Wandla here is excellent but in my opinion there is nothing like Holo May in the midrange! It is where the May real strength and main advantage where the MAGIC of the Holo Dac happens, in one words magnificent! Very romantic and smooth and beautiful. It’s excellent for mid focus and vocal focus music, its smoothness make old recordings sounds lifelike and very beautiful and mesmerizing. But other music where other parts of the frequency response I found the Wandla to be more enjoyable.

Bass: both Dac slams in the bass but the May definitely slams stronger, but the Wandla I found more textured in the bass.

To summarize, I think both DACs are excellent and it’s a matter of preference more than performance. But for me and my preference, I think I final found it!

My preference is big sound stage with depth and excellent layering and separation, well extended treble and punchy bass with sharp imaging. Until now I never found a Dac that has all of that, as big stage and separation is more r2r but the Wandla changed that and I think it’s an excellent value for money and it punches above its prince range.
Wow that's a writeup and a half 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back