Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #437 of 1,028
So for a treble head like me the Wandla probably wouldn't work out? I like good bass too but I can't stand it when the treble sounds veiled.
The Wandla doesn’t sound veiled at all to me

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #441 of 1,028
I don't know what dac you're using but for comparaison, the wandla is brighter, clearer with more microdetail than R26.
The R26 is smoother than Wandla like probably all R2R dacs.
Thanks for the reply! I mainly have been using the Gustard X26 Pro and recently started using the iFi Pro iDSD with the Oor. I'm guessing the Wandla probably sounds about the same as the Gustard X26 Pro in terms of treble, overall brightness, micro details being its a delta sigma DAC. It's interesting that the Pro iDSD almost fits perfectly square on top of the Oor without covering the vents.
I don't know what dac you're using but for comparaison, the wandla is brighter, clearer with more microdetail than R26.
The R26 is smoother than Wandla like probably all R2R dacs.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #442 of 1,028
Hello, I wanted to share my experience with the Wandla/hypsos combo in a 40k$ stereo system. I am coming from Gustard R26 dac so, my expectations were big. On the first 150h, the wandla was a bit harsh on the mid and high and I got listening fatigue after 1 hour. After 200h break-in, everything was settle down. Now I can listen my music 4 hours non stop without any fatigue . The soundstage is deep, clear, holographic. Over the top, the bass are textured, juicy, deep and punchy. For a basshead like me I am in heaven nirvana! Using 300$ silver plated coax and USB cables from the same manufacturer, i found the USB input better than coax. It means to me the USB implementation is very good with the Wandla's internal clock.

Streamer is eversolo DMP A6.Room is accoustly threated. Sonus Faber olympica nova 3 and MA352 amp, puritan audio conditioner with ground master etc...

Next step is finding a DDC with I2S input on the Wandla.

Enjoy
Daniel
Pls do keep up updated on i2s implementation for wandla. I have either read or heard somewhere that wandla sounds best with i2s but dont wanna pull the trigger on which ddc will work seing that there seems to be no standardized implementation. I even emailed ferrum on what they suggest but even they cant seem to make a consensus on which ddc will surely work

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #445 of 1,028
Thank you. Funny when I emailed them they seem unable to recommend one to me. Guess they probably started to check on compatability. At that price its actually reasonable. Imma get one from Amazon so I can easily do returns of it doesnt work lol

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #447 of 1,028
Thank you. Funny when I emailed them they seem unable to recommend one to me. Guess they probably started to check on compatability. At that price its actually reasonable. Imma get one from Amazon so I can easily do returns of it doesnt work lol
Just to make thing clear, they did not recommend me the u18, I personally asked them IF the U18 do work with Wandla.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #450 of 1,028
So for a treble head like me the Wandla probably wouldn't work out? I like good bass too but I can't stand it when the treble sounds veiled.
If you use it with the Hypsos, you can tune that - the range is 22-30V, standard setting of 24v sounded aggressive to me - 22v was perfectly smooth, so you have a lot of headroom into piercing treble that would make my ears bleed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back