Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #422 of 1,028
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #423 of 1,028
When you invest in such quality DAC, with such measures, you should really avoid using it with USB connection, or at least with a DDC in the middle....
...It depends on USB module implementation. There are DACs with excellent USB input (Holo Spring 3 KTE, Holo May, Ideon DACs), where USB is considered the best sounding input. Anyway, I do have great I2S capable DDCs to try with Wandla (Matrix Audio X-Spdif 3, Denafrips Gaia) and I2S input could be best input on Wandla DAC. But that was not the point of my post. I am going to order Wandla soon so I will test that.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #424 of 1,028
Please do not think recorded audio will tell you anything about the system. It gets mangled when recording, then by YT compression, then by your own playback. People who produce those videos either have no idea how audio works or they are just hunting for clicks.

The ONLY way to evaluate something as complex as a DAC in a system ... is to actually put it back to back with your current DAC in your system for days, or preferably weeks, to trully understand the differences and be able to make any sort of informed assesment.

It's probably the most difficult part of the system to fully asses and make a decision. That's why above a certain level people generally avoid changing DACs.

But I will be doing just that against May Bliss combo ... when I finally get the Wandla Hypsos combo I ordered more than a month ago 😂
Yes, I know it's not going to be ideal conditions and completely accurate and depends on the the environment recording was done in, mics, YT compression and then my own playback. However, I think if some "character" can still be discerned despite all the influence points, that's impressive. Some of the YouTube reviewers make the original files available to eliminate the YT compression.

We don't always have the luxury of trying things in our home these days to know what its really like and depend upon reviewers and anecdotal feedback to see if its worth the gamble.

Anyhow, I think I will take the plunge on the Wanda w/o hypsos instead of the Weiss Dac. Seems to tick most of the boxes on my buy list.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #425 of 1,028
Yes, I know it's not going to be ideal conditions and completely accurate and depends on the the environment recording was done in, mics, YT compression and then my own playback. However, I think if some "character" can still be discerned despite all the influence points, that's impressive. Some of the YouTube reviewers make the original files available to eliminate the YT compression.

We don't always have the luxury of trying things in our home these days to know what its really like and depend upon reviewers and anecdotal feedback to see if its worth the gamble.

Anyhow, I think I will take the plunge on the Wanda w/o hypsos instead of the Weiss Dac. Seems to tick most of the boxes on my buy list.
Yeah it's hard. Sadly even the best lossless recorded sample will not tell you much, bc it is going through your own DAC etc. You might get 'something" but I would not put much stock in this.

The best we can do is to ask people who have similar taste and similar systems and gather their feedback. This is doable for mainstream stuff, harder for mainstream but new like Wandla, and almost impossible sadly for the high end obscure pieces like high level Audio Note etc.

So ... we have to base it on our assumptions, knowledge, feedback ... and in the end get the thing, put it in our system next to components we run, and see if it actually does what we thought. Some shops offer a 2 week trial period for gear, so when you buy you can ask for a demo unit for 2 weeks, and then if you like it they send you a new one, if not they will refund the money, or propose a different thing to try in similar budget ... but it's hard unfortunately.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #426 of 1,028
to ask people who have similar taste and similar systems and gather their feedback
Exactly!
I learned that this method is the most valuable.
You can trust any specific reviewer (however experienced and honest) but you will never know what sound he considers to be the best, or let's say what theoretical sound quality target is he trying to achieve. If we don't know someone personally, we can't judge what he considers to be "neutral" or "accurate" or "natural". Because these are all relative terms.
That's why the opinion of someone with a similar taste is more valuable to us because we know what his/her opinion refers to.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #427 of 1,028
Exactly!
I learned that this method is the most valuable.
You can trust any specific reviewer (however experienced and honest) but you will never know what sound he considers to be the best, or let's say what theoretical sound quality target is he trying to achieve. If we don't know someone personally, we can't judge what he considers to be "neutral" or "accurate" or "natural". Because these are all relative terms.
That's why the opinion of someone with a similar taste is more valuable to us because we know what his/her opinion refers to.
That's why we gather here and our community is in invaluable resource :beerchug:

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #428 of 1,028
Agree 100%!
I have invested heavily in great quality USB cables (Shunyata Alpha, Stealth T-Select V3 - to name my current ones) and now what options do I have to use them? There is no decent (even anywhere near to decent) usb B to usb C adaptor available! Or should I throw my precious cables out of the window and try to find the same quality cables with a usb c end. And even if I wanted to do it, it's not an easy task because only very few high end manufacturers make this type of cable. I only found it in the Audioquest and Wireworld catalogs.
I asked Ferrum about this issue and got the following response:
"We decided to use USB-C because it is a new industry standard designed to work with hi-speed signals and communicate with wide range of devices. On the other hand, USB-B is very old, it was designed for old, slow USB 1.0 and for devices like printers."
It's ridiculous. The USB 2 protocol seamlessly handles the transmission of even the highest existing sample rates, both PCM and DSD. And what "wide range of devices" do they mean? Mobile phones?

OK, that's about the only thing I don't like about this DAC, but from a user point of view it's a pretty serious flaw. Let's stick with I2S then.
The “new standard”, that’s nuts. Tell that to companies such as Innuos and Taiko Audio that only have USB out. Not that’s it very likely anyone with A Taiko Extreme with pair up with a Ferrum but I have Innuos and I was initially exctied about this DAC. Having only USB out available, it’s a deal breaker for me.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #429 of 1,028

Weiss isn't worth the cost, so you're making a smart move.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #430 of 1,028
...It depends on USB module implementation. There are DACs with excellent USB input (Holo Spring 3 KTE, Holo May, Ideon DACs), where USB is considered the best sounding input. Anyway, I do have great I2S capable DDCs to try with Wandla (Matrix Audio X-Spdif 3, Denafrips Gaia) and I2S input could be best input on Wandla DAC. But that was not the point of my post. I am going to order Wandla soon so I will test that.
What USB cable are you going to use from your PhoenixUSB?

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #431 of 1,028
What USB cable are you going to use from your PhoenixUSB?
Shunyata Alpha from Aurender N100H to PhoenixUSB, Stealth T-Select V3 from PhoenixUSB to DAC (other than Wandla), or to DDC (In case of Wandla). In case of Wandla DAC I would use Siltech Classic HDMI cable from DDC to I2S input.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #432 of 1,028
Shunyata Alpha from Aurender N100H to PhoenixUSB, Stealth T-Select V3 from PhoenixUSB to DAC (other than Wandla), or to DDC (In case of Wandla). In case of Wandla DAC I would use Siltech Classic HDMI cable from DDC to I2S input.
I was also wondering if you were planing on connecting from the PhoenixUSB to the Wandla? Maybe Ferrum will introduce a high performance reasonably priced companion USB C cable to address the vacancy. Not likely.

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #433 of 1,028
Hello, I wanted to share my experience with the Wandla/hypsos combo in a 40k$ stereo system. I am coming from Gustard R26 dac so, my expectations were big. On the first 150h, the wandla was a bit harsh on the mid and high and I got listening fatigue after 1 hour. After 200h break-in, everything was settle down. Now I can listen my music 4 hours non stop without any fatigue . The soundstage is deep, clear, holographic. Over the top, the bass are textured, juicy, deep and punchy. For a basshead like me I am in heaven nirvana! Using 300$ silver plated coax and USB cables from the same manufacturer, i found the USB input better than coax. It means to me the USB implementation is very good with the Wandla's internal clock.

Streamer is eversolo DMP A6.Room is accoustly threated. Sonus Faber olympica nova 3 and MA352 amp, puritan audio conditioner with ground master etc...

Next step is finding a DDC with I2S input on the Wandla.

Enjoy
Daniel

Attachments

• 17021500784537209876265218355715.jpg
    17021500784537209876265218355715.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 17021501116241194006176307667461.jpg
    17021501116241194006176307667461.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_090424.jpg
    20231203_090424.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #435 of 1,028
Hello, I wanted to share my experience with the Wandla/hypsos combo in a 40k$ stereo system. I am coming from Gustard R26 dac so, my expectations were big. On the first 150h, the wandla was a bit harsh on the mid and high and I got listening fatigue after 1 hour. After 200h break-in, everything was settle down. Now I can listen my music 4 hours non stop without any fatigue . The soundstage is deep, clear, holographic. Over the top, the bass are textured, juicy, deep and punchy. For a basshead like me I am in heaven nirvana! Using 300$ silver plated coax and USB cables from the same manufacturer, i found the USB input better than coax. It means to me the USB implementation is very good with the Wandla's internal clock.

Streamer is eversolo DMP A6.Room is accoustly threated. Sonus Faber olympica nova 3 and MA352 amp, puritan audio conditioner with ground master etc...

Next step is finding a DDC with I2S input on the Wandla.

Enjoy
Daniel
So for a treble head like me the Wandla probably wouldn't work out? I like good bass too but I can't stand it when the treble sounds veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back