Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #406 of 1,011
My general impression of the filters, and mind you they are all so close to each other and I'd be perfectly happy with any of the HQ ones, and it really comes down to personal preference and the music you listen to
  • HQ-Apod - the most technically correct/analytical with the best sense of space
  • HQ-Gauss - better at macro dynamics/transient reproduction but a bit more closed in spatially
  • HQ-Apod-MP - somewhere in between the two
  • HQ-Short - similar to HQ-Gauss, but takes it a bit further

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #407 of 1,011
My general impression of the filters, and mind you they are all so close to each other and I'd be perfectly happy with any of the HQ ones, and it really comes down to personal preference and the music you listen to
  • HQ-Apod - the most technically correct/analytical with the best sense of space
  • HQ-Gauss - better at macro dynamics/transient reproduction but a bit more closed in spatially
  • HQ-Apod-MP - somewhere in between the two
  • HQ-Short - similar to HQ-Gauss, but takes it a bit further

It is pretty close, for sure. I think the sense of space is the most appealing aspect of the HQ Apod.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #410 of 1,011
Does somebody know if it is possible to use both outputs (RCA and XLR) at the same time ? For biamplification purpose for ex....
Thanks in advance
Yeah, Ferrum said to me this is fine. Can’t find my original post with their exact quote, but it’s up there ⬆️ somewhere.

I have speaker amp using the RCA out and Oor using XLR across the room. Works really well.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #412 of 1,011
When you can buy the full implementation of HQP separately for a couple hundred bucks though, why settle for an on-board version in a $4000 delta sigma DAC?
It’s implementation of the entire DAC (beyond just the chip) matters. Many dacs use same chip and they don’t sound the same.

I’ve not tried HQP software because its not pragmatic for me - prefer a turnkey solution that I can send any audio signal too, so it’s attractive for me.

I’d like the price to be cheaper, but this wandla seems to be very versatile for IO options, nice addition of the HQP filters, I like the compact desktop friendly form factor and from reviews I’ve watched/read it excels at imaging with a deep, layered soundstage.

Lack of this has been my main beef with ds dacs.

I’m considering a this puppy or the weiss dac205 as they fit my size constraints and I suspect an upgrade from my previous dacs sound quality.

For reference, I’ve owned RME ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition, Musician Pegasus, Ares 12th and now Chord Qutest - ready to try the next level.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #413 of 1,011
I'm going to have to disagree. I have had the Weiss 501 Mk II and it absolutely didn't sound fantastic. The build quality is a disgrace. It's £10K in the UK and is made from pressed metal?! While the resolution is initially impressive, it quickly gives way to a flat, veiled and uninspiring soundstage. I was unimpressed.

I'm going to try Wandla, because I am still hopeful someone can produce an ESS based DAC that sounds good.
Strange…deep layered soundstage is why i was considering DAC205. I only heard some recorded samples from youtube over ear buds, which compared ares 12, lampizator something and weiss. Weiss sounded best - deep, layered soundstage and dynamic. lamp was dynamic but just a wall of sound, all instruments from same plane of depth and ares 12 soft and natural but not as engaging relative to the other two.

I guess we all hear and value different things.

Good thing we have choices.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #414 of 1,011
Strange…deep layered soundstage is why i was considering DAC205. I only heard some recorded samples from youtube over ear buds, which compared ares 12, lampizator something and weiss. Weiss sounded best - deep, layered soundstage and dynamic. lamp was dynamic but just a wall of sound, all instruments from same plane of depth and ares 12 soft and natural but not as engaging relative to the other two.

I guess we all hear and value different things.

Good thing we have choices.
Please do not think recorded audio will tell you anything about the system. It gets mangled when recording, then by YT compression, then by your own playback. People who produce those videos either have no idea how audio works or they are just hunting for clicks.

The ONLY way to evaluate something as complex as a DAC in a system ... is to actually put it back to back with your current DAC in your system for days, or preferably weeks, to trully understand the differences and be able to make any sort of informed assesment.

It's probably the most difficult part of the system to fully asses and make a decision. That's why above a certain level people generally avoid changing DACs.

But I will be doing just that against May Bliss combo ... when I finally get the Wandla Hypsos combo I ordered more than a month ago 😂

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #415 of 1,011
Please do not think recorded audio will tell you anything about the system. It gets mangled when recording, then by YT compression, then by your own playback. People who produce those videos either have no idea how audio works or they are just hunting for clicks.

The ONLY way to evaluate something as complex as a DAC in a system ... is to actually put it back to back with your current DAC in your system for days, or preferably weeks, to trully understand the differences and be able to make any sort of informed assesment.

It's probably the most difficult part of the system to fully asses and make a decision. That's why above a certain level people generally avoid changing DACs.

But I will be doing just that against May Bliss combo ... when I finally get the Wandla Hypsos combo I ordered more than a month ago 😂
Fully agree with you !
And...Have you ordered your DAC Hypsos combo on the vip-exclusiv internet/ebay site ?

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #416 of 1,011
Fully agree with you !
And...Have you ordered your DAC Hypsos combo on the vip-exclusiv internet/ebay site ?
Indeed 🤠

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #418 of 1,011
Same as me....The guy has very good prices, but you never know when you will receive your stuff...And you must pay beforehand ! I hope I will receive it before Xmas
Indeed :) fingers crossed :fingers_crossed: would love to do those comparisons over Christmas.

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #419 of 1,011
I can’t understand why Ferrum would buck the standard USB A DAC receptacle and use a USB C connection. My thoughts are, either the chassis or board space was tight or they didn’t view USB as important. In either event, in makes for an almost impossible comparison to other USB cables when cable manufactures terminate their USB cables by default to the standard USB A on the DAC end. If you have current DAC and you want to properly compare it to Wandla you would have to purchase a second duplicate USB. The last big issue, is that if you purchase a high performance $$$ USB terminated with a USB C plug, it renders the cable virtually unsalable.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #420 of 1,011
I can’t understand why Ferrum would buck the standard USB A DAC receptacle and use a USB C connection. My thoughts are, either the chassis or board space was tight or they didn’t view USB as important. In either event, in makes for an almost impossible comparison to other USB cables when cable manufactures terminate their USB cables by default to the standard USB A on the DAC end. If you have current DAC and you want to properly compare it to Wandla you would have to purchase a second duplicate USB. The last big issue, is that if you purchase a high performance $$$ USB terminated with a USB C plug, it renders the cable virtually unsalable.
Agree 100%!
I have invested heavily in great quality USB cables (Shunyata Alpha, Stealth T-Select V3 - to name my current ones) and now what options do I have to use them? There is no decent (even anywhere near to decent) usb B to usb C adaptor available! Or should I throw my precious cables out of the window and try to find the same quality cables with a usb c end. And even if I wanted to do it, it's not an easy task because only very few high end manufacturers make this type of cable. I only found it in the Audioquest and Wireworld catalogs.
I asked Ferrum about this issue and got the following response:
"We decided to use USB-C because it is a new industry standard designed to work with hi-speed signals and communicate with wide range of devices. On the other hand, USB-B is very old, it was designed for old, slow USB 1.0 and for devices like printers."
It's ridiculous. The USB 2 protocol seamlessly handles the transmission of even the highest existing sample rates, both PCM and DSD. And what "wide range of devices" do they mean? Mobile phones?

OK, that's about the only thing I don't like about this DAC, but from a user point of view it's a pretty serious flaw. Let's stick with I2S then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back