Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #392 of 1,011
Happy new owner of the wandla/hypsos combo here and I need to order a digital cable between the dmp-a6 and the wandla.

Anyone tried all the digital inputs (coax, usb)? What is the best implemented digital input on the wandla ( other than I2S) ?

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #393 of 1,011
and which do you prefer?

and you meant the "DAC side" in the second comment, right?
yes DAC side.

Wandla by far. I also have a Holo May and (quite incredibly) they're almost on par: one does certain things better, the other one other things...

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #394 of 1,011
yes DAC side.

Wandla by far. I also have a Holo May and (quite incredibly) they're almost on par: one does certain things better, the other one other things...
That's very interesting. Got Wandla and Hypsos on order and I hope to test it against my May over Christmas.

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #395 of 1,011
Happy new owner of the wandla/hypsos combo here and I need to order a digital cable between the dmp-a6 and the wandla.

Anyone tried all the digital inputs (coax, usb)? What is the best implemented digital input on the wandla ( other than I2S) ?
Only tried USB connection using Audioquest Carbon USB A->C from DMP A6 to Wandla. It’s good for me, I haven’t compared against other inputs such as the coax. I would have preferred the I2S but the A6 does not have this digital output.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #396 of 1,011
That's very interesting. Got Wandla and Hypsos on order and I hope to test it against my May over Christmas.
Please do share your experience, I’m very curious to know how the Wandla compares to the Holo Audio May.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #397 of 1,011
Just out of curiosity, what filters do you guys end up using? HQ Apod is where I keep landing.

Also, those who are using the Wandla with the Oor, do you find yourselves using the Wandla in bypass mode or the Oor? I‘ve decided to use the Wandla in bypass. The Oor’s gain setting at “0” and the volume pot between 12 o‘clock and 2 o’clock gets to be my upper limit in listening volume.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #398 of 1,011
Just out of curiosity, what filters do you guys end up using? HQ Apod is where I keep landing.

Also, those who are using the Wandla with the Oor, do you find yourselves using the Wandla in bypass mode or the Oor? I‘ve decided to use the Wandla in bypass. The Oor’s gain setting at “0” and the volume pot between 12 o‘clock and 2 o’clock gets to be my upper limit in listening volume.

I mostly use HQ-Gauss vs the HQ-Apod/HQ-Apod-MP filters for the richer, more dynamic/punchier sound. HQ-Short is a close second.
I've been using Wandla in Analog mode with the Oor in bypass so I can use the remote control instead of reaching over my desk to change the volume control :beyersmile:

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #399 of 1,011
Only tried USB connection using Audioquest Carbon USB A->C from DMP A6 to Wandla. It’s good for me, I haven’t compared against other inputs such as the coax. I would have preferred the I2S but the A6 does not have this digital output.
I had good result with Audio sensibility coax cable and I am waiting their silver usba usb c cable shortly.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #400 of 1,011
Sandu reviewer on youtube recommend using a I2S with the wandla. I would be curious to try it with an external DDC and dmp a6 streamer...Gustard u18 is a budget ddc but I am not sure about their internal clock performance? Singxer su6 should be a better choice but it is double price with LPS..

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #401 of 1,011
I use a U18 with my Audio GD R28 & Rockna Wavelight, and I am very satisfied.

I am a big fan of HQPlayer, which is why I really want to test the WANDLA, as soon as I have the device I can report back.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #402 of 1,011
Sandu reviewer on youtube recommend using a I2S with the wandla. I would be curious to try it with an external DDC and dmp a6 streamer...Gustard u18 is a budget ddc but I am not sure about their internal clock performance? Singxer su6 should be a better choice but it is double price with LPS..
I too have been wondering about this i2s after seeing the youtube review stating how much it improves SQ. At the moment i only use usb straight from my iphone to the WANDLA. Kindly keep me posted

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #403 of 1,011

If you have full-fat HQP that's still the best option (sinc-Mx and sinc-L particularly).

As to stock filters, HQ Apod is still the best for me (and technically the most correct too). Sometimes mininum phase can work better for electronic stuff but 95% of the time I prefer linear phase

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #404 of 1,011
I mostly use HQ-Gauss vs the HQ-Apod/HQ-Apod-MP filters for the richer, more dynamic/punchier sound. HQ-Short is a close second.
I've been using Wandla in Analog mode with the Oor in bypass so I can use the remote control instead of reaching over my desk to change the volume control :beyersmile:

I totally understand that. I find the HQ-Gauss just a slight bit sharper (best I can describe at the moment) than I’d like, at least for some genres. I do like the dynamic nature, too.

I hear you on using the remote! Nice to have that option. I actually just ended up putting my remote away because my setup is at my desk where I work and listen most. All the knobs are within a comfortable reaching distance. :)

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #405 of 1,011
If you have full-fat HQP that's still the best option (sinc-Mx and sinc-L particularly).

As to stock filters, HQ Apod is still the best for me (and technically the most correct too). Sometimes mininum phase can work better for electronic stuff but 95% of the time I prefer linear phase

Appreciate the response, GoldenOne! I don’t have HQP, so the internal filters are my only options right now. I just keep finding myself coming back to HQ Apod. Nice to know that it technically is the most correct, but each of the HQ filters have something specifically appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back