Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #211 of 1,028
Jul 26, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #212 of 1,028
Alright, thank you for the video...
I hoped you would have chosen the X26 or R26 to compare insted the X18. Or is that coverd with you mentionig "best under 3.000,-"?
you ranked WANDLA above DAVE/MSCALER, right? wow
I don't have an X26 pro here to compare directly but this is definitely comfortably better than that.

R26 I've not heard yet.
But yeah, I was expecting Wandla to be very good, not sure I was expecting just HOW good it turned out to be

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #213 of 1,028
I don't have an X26 pro here to compare directly but this is definitely comfortably better than that.

R26 I've not heard yet.
But yeah, I was expecting Wandla to be very good, not sure I was expecting just HOW good it turned out to be
thanks for answering, your X26pro review was also quite positive back then...
definitely comfortably better... is...definitely sure enough words! HOW... less can be more for a dedicated listener.
just imagenig getting "HQ player" and other upgrades in the future.
Hans B also ranked it above his "many years top" Brooklyn DAC.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #214 of 1,028

R26 I've not heard yet.
I will watch the review later, thanks. I wonder how responsible the HQP filters are for the performance?

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #216 of 1,028
I will watch the review later, thanks. I wonder how responsible the HQP filters are for the performance?
They surely play a big part but GoldenOne mentioned that he'd also listened to it using ESS stock filters. I'd be very intrigued to find out how it compares to the Gus X26 Pro in its stock form.

In my system feeding my Gus HQPlayer-converted-and-upsampled DSD makes a huge difference, so big in fact that I cannot stand using PCM on this DAC anymore. Perhaps I've missed it in the review but I'm wondering if the Wandla has a quasi-NOS mode where external filtering is enabled as there will be even better filters available on the actual HQPlayer.

It seems that Ferrum's and Jussi's expertise have resulted in a fantastic-sounding product and one that doesn't require external processing to sound great. I'd happily be proved wrong but I still can't imagine it beating my much-cheaper Gus X26 Pro when fed DSD with HQPlayer's filters 😎

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #217 of 1,028
It'd be interesting to do SINAD with and without the HQ filters to prove that the number alone doesn't explain things like soundstage or spaciousness.
Would SINAD even be affected at all?

All that non-believers need to be convinced that SINAD isn't everything is a DAC that allows for external upsampling to bypass its internal, default one, and then play with the many HQPlayer filters and be shocked how different they can sound, even those that look almost identical in the frequency domain 😃

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #218 of 1,028
It'd be interesting to do SINAD with and without the HQ filters to prove that the number alone doesn't explain things like soundstage or spaciousness.
Would SINAD even be affected at all?

All that non-believers need to be convinced that SINAD isn't everything is a DAC that allows for external upsampling to bypass its internal, default one, and then play with the many HQPlayer filters and be shocked how different they can sound, even those that look almost identical in the frequency domain 😃
SINAD itself is not affected. SINAD is a figure that takes the total energy in the noise and distortion on a signal, and tells you how high that is relative to the original signal.
It won't change due to reconstruction filter as they don't affect THD. Same with Jitter, IMD, crosstalk etc. None of those affect SINAD

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #219 of 1,028
I've watched the review now, excellent. I was super disappointed with the Weiss 501 MkII, and suspect the Wandla would should it a clear pair of heels based upon GoldenSound's review.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #221 of 1,028
I've just posted my review of the WANDLA here!

Also measurements/written review available here: https://headphones.com/blogs/review...all-package-ferrum-wandla-review-measurements

Long, long time a go in your audio universe ...... you had Holo Audio Spring 3 in your workshop and together with Ferrum Wandla it's two DACs in the same price category of 2800Eur. Therefore, could you tell us how these two DACs relate to each other. That would be a really good comparison. Thank you

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #222 of 1,028
Got the Ferrum stack from Headphones.com today, and they very kindly included a complimentary splitter in the box! Nice surprise. Now I just need a third power cable to connect everything together and get started.

On that note - is there anything specific we need to do in order to use the splitter? Does it matter which port on the splitter goes to the Hypsos vs the Wandla/Oor?

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #223 of 1,028
Got the Ferrum stack from Headphones.com today, and they very kindly included a complimentary splitter in the box! Nice surprise. Now I just need a third power cable to connect everything together and get started.

On that note - is there anything specific we need to do in order to use the splitter? Does it matter which port on the splitter goes to the Hypsos vs the Wandla/Oor?
Splitter can be used in any orientation. Just make sure you set the HYPSOS to either the wandla or OOR config with Ferrum power link and you're good

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #224 of 1,028

Good to hear it arrived safe and sound along with the surprise :)

Happy listening this weekend!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jul 30, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #225 of 1,028
I've just posted my review of the WANDLA here!

Also measurements/written review available here: https://headphones.com/blogs/review...all-package-ferrum-wandla-review-measurements

Thank you for great review!

Quote from your review:
"The user has the choice of selecting digital volume control, in which case all attenuation is done in the digital domain by the SERCE processor"

Are you sure that digital volume control in not done in the es9038pro?

I would really love to see comparison of measurements digital vs analog volume control, e.g. 4V (typical XLR output) - 0.4V (-20dB) - 0.04V (-40dB) - 0.004V (-60dB, listening at night).
As far as I know nobody did it so far, so you could be the One:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back