Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #151 of 1,028
I'm sad to say that adding a second Hypsos improves things if you are also using the Oor. In a moment of weakness I did that. But music has always been my weakness. But dang, this is good stuff.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #152 of 1,028
I'm sad to say that adding a second Hypsos improves things if you are also using the Oor. In a moment of weakness I did that. But music has always been my weakness. But dang, this is good stuff.
Wish I had saved the money on the splitter and extra cables and bought a second Hypsos instead!

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #155 of 1,028
5-WANDLA-side-scaled.jpeg
ferrum-wandla-rear-view.jpeg

https://ferrum.audio/wandla/

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/wandla/

This DAC looks promising! And it's currently one of the very few high-end DACs (that I know of) that has a fully-functioning HDMI input (w/ ARC, 44.1-192kHz PCM only, no HDMI pass-thru output). It also has an I2S input, which also uses an HDMI input jack.

MSRP - $2795
Shipping - Mid-April 2023 (ETA)
What is that....DAC? Did they kill the ERCO?

Looks interesting. Only thing that makes me allergic is USB-C, working in IT, this port is the worst thing I have experience with. Also how many highend cable producers make USB-C?

Well, Im for sure interested, thinking of a scenario with Pink Faun i2s bridge into this, instead of the usb-c.

I am awaiting for Ferrum to release and AIO, DAC/AMP, wishful thinking.
Doesnt look promising at all. Chinese sub 1k dacs look better on paper.
Chord Hugo TT2 also looks better on the paper, but is leaving my setup because AGD is miles ahead for me in emotion/engagement and time....."but numbers matters....."

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #156 of 1,028
What is that....DAC? Did they kill the ERCO?

Looks interesting. Only thing that makes me allergic is USB-C, working in IT, this port is the worst thing I have experience with. Also how many highend cable producers make USB-C?

Well, Im for sure interested, thinking of a scenario with Pink Faun i2s bridge into this, instead of the usb-c.

I am awaiting for Ferrum to release and AIO, DAC/AMP, wishful thinking.

Chord Hugo TT2 also looks better on the paper, but is leaving my setup because AGD is miles ahead for me in emotion/engagement and time....."but numbers matters....."
Ideally you'd use the I2S input. Lots of options there. That said, designers have mitigated a lot of USB issues now; I expect you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #157 of 1,028
Any more owner feedback? Particularly around the impact of the HQP filters on the ESS sound? These still aren't available in the UK. Keen to try one with Hypsos.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #161 of 1,028
Are you guys serious about 2 Hypos vs. using the splitter? It sounds weird as the splitter is made for that exact scenario. 🤔 But who knows...
Yeah I’m curious of the perceived impact. All we’ve had so far is Ferrum saying you’re getting 90% of the HYPSOS in a splitter scenario, which is good enough for me, but always happy to hear thoughts from others too.

No plans to purchase a second HYPSOS. I’d be more interested in a future model that natively supports 2 devices.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #164 of 1,028
I just got mine in and unfortunately it very much is
True. I’m on vacation and not online much, but chiming in quickly.

Adding the second Hypsos made a clear difference. I listened a lot with the DCA Stealth, which benefits from a lot of power. With the Oor, Wandla and two Hypsos it sounded better than ever! Noticeably so.

It opened up the Stealth to more genres than I previously used it for. The Elites are my amazing all rounder, with the Stealth mainly used for acoustic guitar. But with the Ferrum combo the Stealth was also good with ambient, space, jazz, and other genres.

As if the Oor and Wandla pair well together and also each having their own Hypsos enables both to live up to their potential.

The sum is greater than the parts!

All this said, the Wandla and Oor are very, very good with one Hypsos. It’s like this, which should make perfect sense:

Good — Ferrums with stock power supplies
Better — Ferrums with one shared Hypsos
Best — Ferrums with two Hypsos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back