Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 23, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #121 of 1,003
I think both devices will have the same outcome given they share a voltage and there's no setting in the HYPSOS to let it know you're using a FPS. Still interested to hear what Ferrum say.

Were you using digital or analog volume control on the Wandla when you heard crackling?

I was surprised how high I had to turn the volume up on the Wandla (somewhere between 60-70, depending on convolvers, filters with gain reduction etc), whereas the same pair of headphones would barely need to go past 9 o'clock on mid gain (supposedly the same gain setting as bypass)

Here is what Ferrum said:

It is normal because OOR and Wandla has completely different volume control circuits. In OOR you have smaller range but with gain knob you can match it better to the headphones. Wandla has much more wider range so it seems you have to set it to hotter signal.
I was using analog. I'll try digital and report back.
For those of you using Hypsos with Wandla and Oor at the same time, it's worth mention that the splitter disables the 4 Terminal sensing.
So you're saying I should buy another Hypsos just for the Wandla?

May 23, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #123 of 1,003
Switching to digital did fix the crackling noise when adjusting volume but a volume of 0 is still audible even after completely lowering the Digital Input Trim.

May 23, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #126 of 1,003
I had contacted Ferrum about running two components with one Hypsos and they said, sure, you could get 100% performance with two Hypsos, but you'll get 95%+ with just one. They did not think it was worth investing in two Hypsos.

May 23, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #127 of 1,003
I had contacted Ferrum about running two components with one Hypsos and they said, sure, you could get 100% performance with two Hypsos, but you'll get 95%+ with just one. They did not think it was worth investing in two Hypsos.
You can run both no problem, but the auto sensing that's built into Hypsos will not work when connected to more than one other device.

May 23, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #128 of 1,003
For those of you using Hypsos with Wandla and Oor at the same time, it's worth mention that the splitter disables the 4 Terminal sensing.
Also wondering what “4 Terminal sensing” means? Thank you.

May 24, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #130 of 1,003
It's the method Hypsos uses to connect to another device. I'm not an electrical engineer but I think it provides high accuracy measurements so Hypsos can provide the exact voltage needed by the device it's powering.
For one device the cable has two wires for power and two for sensing. It keeps Hyspos power output exact. I guess if you use two devices-two wires for power to 1st device-and the other two to second device-with no sensing.

UNDER DEVICE FEATURES
- 4T Sensing Design (4TSD) - ensuring the exact voltage level precisely at the point of the powered device DC
input terminal - special cable design and feedback to ensure flat voltage at every moment

May 24, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #131 of 1,003
For one device the cable has two wires for power and two for sensing. It keeps Hyspos power output exact. I guess if you use two devices-two wires for power to 1st device-and the other two to second device-with no sensing.

UNDER DEVICE FEATURES
- 4T Sensing Design (4TSD) - ensuring the exact voltage level precisely at the point of the powered device DC
input terminal - special cable design and feedback to ensure flat voltage at every moment
Well now we need someone to test with 2x HYPSOS :ksc75smile:

May 24, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #132 of 1,003

UNDER DEVICE FEATURES
4 terminal sensing isn't unique to Hypsos or Ferrum, it's a method of measuring electrical impedance. It's also called 4 wire sensing. How exactly Ferrum is using it with their 4 prong cable I do not know.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #133 of 1,003
4 terminal sensing isn't unique to Hypsos or Ferrum, it's a method of measuring electrical impedance. It's also called 4 wire sensing. How exactly Ferrum is using it with their 4 prong cable I do not know.
From White-paper-Ferrum-HYPSOS

4T Remote Sensing
If we want our power supply to maintain its output voltage over wide range of
currents, we need some sort of negative feedback. This feedback measures
voltage on the output of the power supply and adjusts the voltage which is
steering the output section to keep the voltage on the output steady. Now comes
the main problem. Most of the power supplies measure the voltage directly on its
output, so it’s able to precisely set the voltage on its output before the cable, not
on the other side of it! If the cable has its own resistance, the voltage on the other
side of the cable will not be regulated precisely. Let’s assume, that our cable has
50mOhms of resistance and current flowing through it is changing from 0.5A to 1A.
This scenario is quite possible in most DAC’s. The voltage on the one wire of the
cable changes from 25mV to 50mV, but it is only voltage drop on the one wire.
The full path consists of two wires, because we need to give a way for returning
current. Therefore, the full voltage drop on the cable changes from 50mV to
100mV. This is a significant difference, and this disturbance will appear on the
supplied load. For this reason, in HYPSOS we are using remote sensing, which
is basically a Kelvin connection. This incorporates four wires, two for delivering
current to the load and another two for measuring voltage directly on the load.
This gives us an opportunity to get away with cable resistance, because now
we are measuring voltage directly on the load, so the power supply stabilises
the voltage on the load and compensates for the drop on the cable resistance.
Now the voltage difference on the load depends mainly on the gain of the error
amplifier of the power supply. If it has enough gain, the voltage drop difference
between 0.5A and 1A current drawn form the supply can be lower than 10mV.

Attachments

• White-paper-Ferrum-HYPSOS.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 25, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #134 of 1,003
From White-paper-Ferrum-HYPSOS

4T Remote Sensing
If we want our power supply to maintain its output voltage over wide range of
currents, we need some sort of negative feedback. This feedback measures
voltage on the output of the power supply and adjusts the voltage which is
steering the output section to keep the voltage on the output steady. Now comes
the main problem. Most of the power supplies measure the voltage directly on its
output, so it’s able to precisely set the voltage on its output before the cable, not
on the other side of it! If the cable has its own resistance, the voltage on the other
side of the cable will not be regulated precisely. Let’s assume, that our cable has
50mOhms of resistance and current flowing through it is changing from 0.5A to 1A.
This scenario is quite possible in most DAC’s. The voltage on the one wire of the
cable changes from 25mV to 50mV, but it is only voltage drop on the one wire.
The full path consists of two wires, because we need to give a way for returning
current. Therefore, the full voltage drop on the cable changes from 50mV to
100mV. This is a significant difference, and this disturbance will appear on the
supplied load. For this reason, in HYPSOS we are using remote sensing, which
is basically a Kelvin connection. This incorporates four wires, two for delivering
current to the load and another two for measuring voltage directly on the load.
This gives us an opportunity to get away with cable resistance, because now
we are measuring voltage directly on the load, so the power supply stabilises
the voltage on the load and compensates for the drop on the cable resistance.
Now the voltage difference on the load depends mainly on the gain of the error
amplifier of the power supply. If it has enough gain, the voltage drop difference
between 0.5A and 1A current drawn form the supply can be lower than 10mV.
That's how 4T sensing works. I got the impression from your previous post that it was something different.

May 26, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #135 of 1,003
You should give a listen to Ideon Audio DACs which are ESS based, their cost no object Absolute DAC ε is reportedly one of the top DACs in the market.
Just browsing and saw this. I’ve had the opportunity to audition that DAC and wrote the following in the Gustard X18-thread:

Congrats to the people who can afford the €35k Ideon because it’s probably as good as it gets, at least in my book.

:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back