Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 3, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #76 of 1,294
I think the Wandla's got stuck in the supply chain pipeline. Mine ships overnight :fingers_crossed: it arrives in time to enjoy it this weekend, that would be so lovely, one can always dream :L3000:

May 4, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #77 of 1,294
I totally don’t check this thread multiple times every day to see if anyone has gotten theirs yet :beerchug:
I guess one will check it dailey when the DACs are in use and this will be on top of watched threads for some time 🧐

May 10, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #80 of 1,294
Heard from my dealer today that it’ll be with their North America distributor next Monday, so hopefully should have mine by the weekend of the 20th with ease.

Got a good feeling about this DAC!
Yeah I'm in here to find out if I possibly want to sell my X26pro for this one... to combine w Hypsos/OOR...

May 11, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #84 of 1,294
The Wandla have finally cleared customs and all open orders have been filled. Units will begin arriving at dealers in the next few days.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    575.1 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #85 of 1,294
This is the week!?! My friend Oor is looking forward to meeting their new pal Wandla. Hypsos will make the introduction. Cables and transports ready to shake hands and say hi. Headphones on deck, ready to convey the goodness.

May 19, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #87 of 1,294
Just got the call! Heading to dealer now.

He also got one for himself - his text said “holy moly. So revealing”
Just before the weekend, perfect timing! 😝

May 19, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #88 of 1,294
Mine arrived yesterday! Primarily just hooked it up to make sure it worked fine. It's great! So far, so great.

One thing to note, because I see folks stacking their Ferrum components. Both the Oor and Wandla run warm, so don't stack them! It gets toasty fast. I have my Oor on top of the Hypsos and the Wandla to the side of that stack.

The Wandla seems to have high output voltage, so I'm having to relearn gain and volume settings on my headphones. It feels closer to the 6V output of my Bartok (which I normally run at 2V).

Currently using Roon on an iMac connected via USB, not my ideal plan. Planning to use a transport via AES/EBU.

The Oor/Hypsos has not been in use form some weeks. I got everything plugged back in when the Wandla arrived and I'll check back in soon.

May 19, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #89 of 1,294
Just got the call! Heading to dealer now.

He also got one for himself - his text said “holy moly. So revealing”
All ESS DACs are like that to begin with. It's living with them longer term that's the issue.

May 19, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #90 of 1,294
All ESS DACs are like that to begin with. It's living with them longer term that's the issue.
I've had mine for a few days. It doesn't sound like any ESS DAC I've heard. If anything it sounds similar to the Ares 12th but more resolving and faster, at least with the HQ filters. I don't find it fatiguing at all, and when paired with the Oor (the only amp I've tested so far) it's a smooth, yet detailed, listening experience. I haven't spent much time testing the ESS filters, but I intend to put it through the paces in the coming weeks.

My only gripe so far is that HDMI ARC doesn't seem to work with my LG C2. I plan to test that with some of our other TVs over the weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back